Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Do you want to be BY the beach or ON the beach? have you been on Gulf Blvd to see what the beaches are like here? The issue is that the beaches here are on a little sliver of land for the most part. Hotels and Condos on the beach side then a road and on the other side typically is commercial zones.

If you are looking to be BY the beach I would suggest Treasure Island. You can find water front property that is close to the beaches.
That is a good suggestion. Still going to be a hellish commute to TGH, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I agree with everyone else's recommendations here. You can live on the bay in a house and be a lot closer to TGH. Davis Island which is where TGH is located is surrounded by water.

Not sure why you are against working with a Real Estate Agent as 99.9% of homes or condos on the water/beach are listed by an agent, so you are still going to have to deal with an agent irregardless and it is better to have one that is looking out for you instead of the seller.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTULMAN1 View Post
There are private schools within driving distance. Just because Florida is for retirees dosent mean you cannot live by the beach and enjoy the beauty of Florida. Why live in Florida then if its not for the weather and to actually enjoy all the things florida offers? I mean for each its own but to me being on the beach is important because i do a lot of outside activities incl beach

No, it is not written in stone that because Florida is predominantly a retirement state that you cannot live by (or on) the beach/enjoy the beauty of the state. lol (sorry but that just sounded silly as I was typing it!)

However, you came on here asking for the advice of the people who live in Florida. If you aren't happy with the responses then I would make many more trips to Florida and secure a R.E. Agent to assist you with the process.

City-Data has a wealth of knowledge and great people who will tell you how it is. Use it to your advantage.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Hmm..that's so wiered. I've never heard of people not living on the beach. For me, the whole point of living in florida is to enjoy the beach. That's so wierd. I am even more confused. Why wouldn't people want to live by the beach? Where will kids play? I am sure there are places where kids play by the beach...There are some private schools in clearwater. I think!
You are more than welcome to not take our advice, you obviously know better than us. I'm still kind of confused why you asked multiple times if you have no desire to listen to the quality answers we are giving you...

You can live BY the beach, but not ON the beach, I will let you figure out what I mean by that, it's not hard.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
You can live BY the beach, but not ON the beach, I will let you figure out what I mean by that, it's not hard.

Of course you can live 'ON' the beach if you have a tent.

I know a few ppl who say they live 'on' the beach when they really live in a condo by the beach. Just a matter of semantics

Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM

^ You know what I mean...

West of the Intercoastal

Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM

39 posts, read 72,994 times
Nope I want to be ON the beach, not BY the beach!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Well, then you are looking for what dont exist.

No schools, your kids will have no friends to play with, nowhere to play except the beach, a crappy commute for your husband, sky high insurance rates plus mandatory flood insurance, your home WILL (no question of if, it WILL) be destroyed if a hurricane hits, you are in a mandatory evacuation zone. That's the baggage.

And if you want a home, not a condo, you will NOT find a beachside property. You can get that out of your head now.

I dont know why you seem so surprised by our recommendations. It goes like this: Beach property is hellaciously expensive. So expensive, that for the most part, most residential and even hotel properties have been razed for condos, most of which retired people from "up nawth" have bought or people timeshare them. It's too expensive for people with kids to afford, so they flat out dont live there, and there is no infrastructure for them either. Add to that, there is no easy way to get from the beach to major employment places, so it just all around sucks. Unless you REALLY, REALLY like the beach... plus, since it's huge tourist destination, there will always been strangers, tourists, scumbags wandering around looking for things to do, drunk kids at spring break and all summer, and there isnt anything you can do about it...

I used to live in Seminole, the beach was fine, but even though I lived 2 miles from the beach, it's not like I went there much.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Try SW Florida. Living ON the beach and being ina good family community does not exist here. This is what some would call "having your cake and eating it to".

Absolutely looking forward to another Manhattan Dweller moving to Tampa Bay letting us all know how things really are.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM

39 posts, read 72,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Well, then you are looking for what dont exist.

No schools, your kids will have no friends to play with, nowhere to play except the beach, a crappy commute for your husband, sky high insurance rates plus mandatory flood insurance, your home WILL (no question of if, it WILL) be destroyed if a hurricane hits, you are in a mandatory evacuation zone. That's the baggage.

And if you want a home, not a condo, you will NOT find a beachside property. You can get that out of your head now.

I dont know why you seem so surprised by our recommendations. It goes like this: Beach property is hellaciously expensive. So expensive, that for the most part, most residential and even hotel properties have been razed for condos, most of which retired people from "up nawth" have bought or people timeshare them. It's too expensive for people with kids to afford, so they flat out dont live there, and there is no infrastructure for them either. Add to that, there is no easy way to get from the beach to major employment places, so it just all around sucks. Unless you REALLY, REALLY like the beach... plus, since it's huge tourist destination, there will always been strangers, tourists, scumbags wandering around looking for things to do, drunk kids at spring break and all summer, and there isnt anything you can do about it...

I used to live in Seminole, the beach was fine, but even though I lived 2 miles from the beach, it's not like I went there much.
What do you mean my kids will have no one to play with? I cant drive to a park area? I can't drive somewhere for my kids to play if lets say they won't want to play on the beach? You guys are talking about us buying a condo...I didnt say I want to buy a condo now. I asked about RENTING for now. We want to rent for about a year or so and then we'll see. If we won't like it. We can always move inland to Hyde park or something.
What do you mean no schools? You're saying that all private schools in Clearwater is bad? Why can't I drive him to school?
Crappy commute? What do you consider crappy? Up to an hour is fine commuting.
Mandatory evacuation zones, high insurance prices, flood insurance. We already paying that in New York. You know whats really funny guys..we are living on Brighton Beach now..It's a beach area in New York and paying expensive rent's, flood insurances and everyone loves this area. Everyone have kids in our building and Everyone in New York wants to live in this area. And we can afford it. We can afford a 2million dollor house. It's not the money issue. I dont understand how can everyone say that its not a good area. I dont get it. I simply dont get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay