Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

Have job oppty in St. Pete, so considering a move from Raleigh, NC which we love. We're in a very safe, historic part of town with great neighbors and schools. I'm attempting to replicate that should we decide to accept this offer. (after reading this board I'm becoming concerned about making this move at all)
I've heard/read about Hyde Park in Tampa and Old NE in St. Pete. Are there other neighborhoods you would suggest? I've answered the moderator's questions below to give more context. Thanks.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
In St. Pete just over the gandy bridge. ~8-6.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
possibly rent first, but ultimately buy. Budget 800k

Are schools a concern?
Highest concern. Willing to go private if public is not good.
What is an acceptable commute time?
30 min

What else is important to you?
Safety, sense of community, ideally a good Methodist church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Do you currently live in Oakwood or Cameron Park? Old NE would be an easier commute than Hyde Park and is right next to downtown St. Pete. You could also consider Snell Isle. I can't give you much info on schools, but they're probably pretty bad.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM

We are in Hayes Barton near Five Points.

The map shows 14 miles from Gorry Elementary school in Hyde park to the office across the bridge in St Pete. Would that be a bad commute?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
I grew up near Five Points.
That commute shouldn't be too bad. You would want to take the Crosstown(toll) to Gandy Blvd. I drive that route almost every weekend, but never during rush hour. Maybe someone here who does that commute could be more helpful. Have you been down to scout out the area? Tampa Bay is a lot different than Raleigh.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM

We love five points - we walk to school, restaurants, coffee, and our church. Do you think the Hyde park area is comparable? We've heard that comparison.

We are coming down for a scout visit in a couple weeks. I tell you, this board is giving me some serious second thoughts of moving, regardless of how good the career oppty is.
Thank you for any thoughts.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
I lived in Hyde Park for 13 years. It's a great area, very walk able, plenty to do, but the people are absolutely horrible. It's a bunch of snobbish yuppies, that try act like they are somebody, when they don't even have a pot to **** in. I lived in Soho/ Hyde Park since it was still a ghetto. When all the yuppies moved in, no one would say hello, or thank you when you held the door. I never made a single friend from that neighborhood after 13 years of living there.
I moved to Treasure Island a year ago and have about a dozen friends that i am very close with.
I think St Pete people are nicer people. They are much more down to earth. Nobody on this side of the bridge seems to care about keeping up with the Jones.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
I'm sorry that some of the comments are getting you down. As you can tell by some of the other threads on this board, 75% of the Tampa Bay board is populated by Debbie Downers.

NE St pete has some --great-- private schools. Check out Canterbury and Shorecrest.

If $800k is your house budget, there are some incredible homes in that kind of price range in NE St Pete (Old Northeast, Snell Isle, Shore Acres, Venetian Isles). All of these neighborhoods are waterfront, a 5-20 minute drive to downtown or a short bike ride.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
I've been surfing City Data for half a year, many different cities. I don't live in Tampa, but I've studied the city a lot.

You are perhaps the best situated "I'm moving to ..." OP I've ever seen on City Data. Your budget is more than double the minimum to meet your needs. Most people moving to FL come on here with about half the budget to afford their criteria. You have the ability to get picky and choose a particularly beautiful street and house. Plus, you actually have two or even three different awesome neighborhoods to choose from. Both Old NE and Hyde Park fit exactly what you want. I'm surprised nobody has suggested Davis Island to you. Do some Google Street View surfing on Davis Island. It's very pretty. There are other beautiful neighborhoods in South Tampa, like Swann Estates, that you can check out.

Understand this about the negativity: Most of it is rooted in reality, but it's only one perspective of reality. If you have money and a positive attitude, most of the problems in any city won't affect you. If you don't have money and/or a positive attitude, it's a whole different story.

Two more notes: Hyde Park and much of South Tampa is in the most desirable public school district in the region (Plant High School). Also, think about flooding when you purchase. If you hate the idea of flooding, then you would avoid Snell Isle, etc. But obviously many people with the ability to live elsewhere, like Derek Jeter, CHOOSE to live there.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM

31 posts, read 43,065 times
Hey fellow Dukee - why drive across a bridge when you could be in Old NE? See you there (maybe)

Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 AM

503 posts, read 772,586 times
Hyde Park would be a comparable fit - a lot smaller than 5 points area. Definately visit before you do the move. We moved here from Cary 9 years ago and are trying hard to go back. Tampa is nice but it is more transient that the Raleigh area. Consider the weather too - it may not be a big deal at first but when Sept/Oct rolls around and its still in the 90s and humid. You may not mind it - a lot of people don't - but I personally miss the NC fall. Check out Hyde Park United Methodist.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay