Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You obviously didn't look at all of the properties for sale in Carlsbad. There are properties available for less than $300K, which a median income of 85K should be able to afford. If you're talking about homes >650K, yep you would need a higher income to qualify. But it's the same as a >650K in Tampa or anywhere in Florida. The beaches are there are pretty nice as well as is the coastal scenery; they beat anything on the East Coast of Florida and the waves bury anything on the Gulf side. The climate wins over Florida every time; you don't sweat to death for 7 months in California.
You obviously did not understand my post and the concept of median house price/median household income comparison. Let's try again....

The median home/condo price in Carlsbad, Ca is > 600K and the median household income of it is 85K. This means 50% or more of the house that sold were at least 600K and 50% of the family make 85K or more, how is that the same with Tampa? When places are balanced, a median income should let one afford a median house but clearly that is not the case here.

It doesn't matter if I see house for sale in a given realtor website or not. House closed constitute the median price statistics, which I used to show how things are still outrageously expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
You obviously did not understand my post and the concept of median house price/median household income comparison. Let's try again....

The median home/condo price in Carlsbad, Ca is > 600K and the median household income of it is 85K. This means 50% or more of the house that sold were at least 600K and 50% of the family make 85K or more, how is that the same with Tampa? When places are balanced, a median income should let one afford a median house but clearly that is not the case here.

It doesn't matter if I see house for sale in a given realtor website or not. House closed constitute the median price statistics, which I used to show how things are still outrageously expensive.
No one disputes that things are more expensive in California, but you get what you pay for. Buying a 600K home in Tampa is the same as buying a 600K home in California; either you have the money or you don't and/or your salary is not high enough to qualify. Median income level is very misleading as it represents all of the reported salaries in an area, not just the ones who are looking for homes. We have no way of knowing whether the folks who make under 85K bought their homes in Carlsbad years ago and the ones looking for homes now are above the 85K median, making it more affordable. Bottom line, millions live in California because they like and can afford it. For the average Joe, California might not be a good fit. But I'm sure the Carlsbad populace (and other prime locations) like it that way ...

Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
$619k for a 3 bedroom? $385k for a 2 bedroom? never would I pay such skewed prices. That 2 bedroom would be less than $100k here! and by the looks of it that 3 bedroom for $619 is in the middle of the desert somewhere, and would go for a few mill in Beverly Hills! No Thanks! Plus a $600k home in FL would have at least 5, 6 bedrooms NOT 3!!!
IMO the best way to experience CA is to visit for a few days, then come back to "earth" in FL. IMO
Off topic here we go...

I think the OP will have a good time here in Tampa....

Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM

168 posts, read 394,850 times
Wow; those are all three very different places. First, the humid/humid weather is pretty much the worst in August and September. I grew up in St. Pete, spent 20 years in the Midwest (love Omaha) but hate the snow; couldn't wait to come home. St. Pete esp NE area is beautiful but isn't full of action. To me Tampa isn't full of action either but the Clearwater, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor area or Wesley Chapel areas would be good for connecting with people. Downtown Tampa has some great entertainment but it isn't busy all the time and the crime rate is higher than SLC or Palm Springs so you need to know where you are when checking out the nightspots in Tampa. Some are in great areas, some not so good (I hate being on guard all the time). So....if you want something different than the other two places you have lived give Florida a try but if you don't like one neighborhood or city check out another one. Florida is one of the few states that has many flavors depending on where you live. Also...if you like nature be sure to check out the Ocala National Forest, Rainbow River in Dunellon and the Nature Coast in Crystal River (springs more than salt and warm water all year long). Hope this helps!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM

168 posts, read 394,850 times
Are you sure you are talking about St. Petersburg? And are you including all of Pinellas county or just one side of town? I can give you a list of wonderful restaurants from the beaches to the NE side of town and over by Tyrone Square mall and there is art all over from Gulfport to NE too....

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Did someone actually compare Tampa to SLC?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
That's a very far-fetched statement, and I think that most people from California would agree. Our humidity is higher here all year. I ran my AC through most of last winter just to keep my apartment dry. When we do get a dry spell, it's only caused by a temporary front that has the muscle to make it this far south. And when the front is over, the humidity creeps right back up.

It is very far fetched. Only in the winter months does FL come close to the Southern CA climate.

Even on really hot days in CA, the temp will cool off nicely at night.

I wish the weather was similar most of the year, but it isn't.

When we get days here that are 75 to 80 degrees and the humidity is low I tell people this is what you have in Southern CA most of the year.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
yeah, who would think tampa even compares?????????

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM

485 posts, read 324,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not exactly - if you read my post it said my husband has two offers: one in SLC and the other in Tampa. I posted the same thread in both the SLC forum and this Tampa forum to get feedback as all I'm doing is trying to create a pros and cons list for both. They both offer something different only I've never been to Tampa so I just wanted some feedback.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM

485 posts, read 324,509 times
I just wanted to thank everyone for your helpful tips and advice.

Just a quick update on what we decided...after careful consideration and many sleepless nights, we ended up accepting an offer in San Diego. Us staying in Cali made the move VERY simple and we are near family and friends now. I think we just had to be patient for the right opportunity to come our way.

Thanks again for your help and Happy Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay