Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times

Advertisements

I must agree with your and Kash's opinion on the big box dental places.

Again, it is the choice of the patient to accept or deny the recommended services.

Please do learn the reason a root canal my be necessary. There is no "treatment" to reverse the
damage. You can't just patch it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The "veneer" dentist used to be my boss's dentist back in 2004 in Orlando. Private practice. After I got prego and started having issues she sent me to him..."she" didn't use him except for those 6 month routine exams, so she never needed any patch work, neither her or I knew what we were getting into. Before that I had just found one in Coral Springs that was decent...he was from Brazil originally and was good about treating without doing root canals. But a few months after that my hubby got a job in Orlando and we lost him. So at that time, prego with a VERY busy schedule etc, I was working full time I didn't have time (like now) to scout around and find someone that is decent, so I had to go to the one my boss sent me too...plus, most don't work weekends...I was stuck, and hated that. I only go to non chains, and never been to a mall one....I am usually looking for private practices because I was under the impression those ppl are better, and more careful when they work, and with their work. I went to an Aspen Dental once, and a Coast Dental which was like labor and delivery without a private room if I can make that comparison...like cows...NEXT, NEXT, NEXT....did not like that AT ALL....Those ppl at Coast wanted $20,000!!!!!!!!!! They had a list of stuff that was outrageously priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
Stop blaming everything on Capitalism. Seriously.

I have had 3 dentists since that one, because I kept my original xrays, who agreed there was NO need for root canals. Let alone 8 of them! I am so glad you think you know what was going on better than ME!

This has to do with work ethic, and understanding that NOT all your patients are millionaires.
That guy was pushing veneers onto cows. His car was wrapped with a veneer photo ad (a Hummer) & I was still new enough here to not know "everything" about how they operate. The guy took advantage of my boss, and charged her for stuff I did not need. To bad we both found out too late. Otherwise my boss would have sued the hell out of his "Capitalist" ASS.

Again, circumstances beyond my control lead to this mess. I am usually a control freak, and don't let things get out of control; this however was a situation that started "all of the sudden", and took me by surprise...and being at work from 8 to 6 didn't leave much room to drive around interviewing dentists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I understand your point well, but you do not understand a simple concept called Capitalism.

When you take your car in for an oil change, do they recommend any extra work that may be needed? You bet they do. When you go to the grocery store they ask "Did you find everything OK". If you didn't you would say so and they would get it for you thus making a sale. Making a sale. Sometimes that is what it is all about. It is up to the consumer to make decisions, not the service provider.

Now, lets talk about root canals vs. fillings. Do you realize what a root canal is? Why it is? I don't go into it here, but please research the subject and find out that one has nothing to do with the other.

If you were remodeling a house would you get one quote and give the job to them? I would certainly want to know exactly why I would need root canals and have it explained to me before I would think of consenting to such extensive surgery because that is what a root canal is, a surgery.

So, for about $1200 you could get 17 teeth extracted and never have to worry about them again!
Of course you have to figure in the dentures, so for $2,000.00 you could be done and over with.
Quote:
As far as people wanting your services for free, maybe you are in the wrong business or you do not have the savvy needed to run a business wherein you directly provide a service for a fee.
They want them for free, because they get them free from amateurs, but then they realize what a crappy job they got for "free", and they want to see if they can screw a professional over. I pay when I go to a car mechanic, and don't ask them to do it for free just because my husband can do it too! This, again, has to do with WORK ETHIC. No relation to Capitalism AT ALL.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
When you can't fill a tooth anymore the denist gives you a crown,they are very expensive.I have Met life and it will still cost me $500 per tooth for each crown! Sometimes dentists will advertise "new patient" specials for cleanings and xrays...but everthing else is crazy expensive! Can't say anything good about the EU as far as dental care...most of my relatives from there have pretty crummy looking smiles!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Yes you can. If there is any tooth there to work with. In some instances, it's conceivable that a dental filling might be placed as an alternative. A dental crown, however, offers a big advantage due to the way that it's constructed.

Crowns are fabricated in a dental laboratory). Dental fillings are built right in your mouth by way of your dentist placing the filling material directly upon your tooth. It's easier to get the "perfect" tooth shape with a crown.

A dental laboratory technician gets the opportunity to simulate and examine aspects of your bite and jaw movements from a variety of angles, and then sculpt your dental crown so it has the ideal shape.
With a dental filling, the dentist has far less control over the restoration's final contours because it is often difficult for them to visualize, evaluate, or access to the tooth they're working on.

We get what we pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
When you can't fill a tooth anymore the denist gives you a crown,they are very expensive.I have Met life and it will still cost me $500 per tooth for each crown! Sometimes dentists will advertise "new patient" specials for cleanings and xrays...but everthing else is crazy expensive! Can't say anything good about the EU as far as dental care...most of my relatives from there have pretty crummy looking smiles!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Quote:
Yes you can. If there is any tooth there to work with. In some instances, it's conceivable that a dental filling might be placed as an alternative. A dental crown, however, offers a big advantage due to the way that it's constructed.

Crowns are fabricated in a dental laboratory). Dental fillings are built right in your mouth by way of your dentist placing the filling material directly upon your tooth. It's easier to get the "perfect" tooth shape with a crown.

A dental laboratory technician gets the opportunity to simulate and examine aspects of your bite and jaw movements from a variety of angles, and then sculpt your dental crown so it has the ideal shape.
With a dental filling, the dentist has far less control over the restoration's final contours because it is often difficult for them to visualize, evaluate, or access to the tooth they're working on.

We get what we pay for.
I can only tell you what my dentist told me...my tooth could not be refillled and I need a crown...I get the dental lab etc.,but I think the dentist should accept the $600 dollars my insurance covered and not charge me a $500 copay!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
Is that most likely what my son is going to need for his chipped front tooth, a crown? It's a pretty big chip. Looks like Jim Carrey on 'Dumb and Dumber' LOL.... which is why we need to get it fixed.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 AM

My chipped front tooth has a cap that covers the tooth. It was a long time ago, I have no idea what it costs. Cap, crown, some say they are the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Is that most likely what my son is going to need for his chipped front tooth, a crown? It's a pretty big chip. Looks like Jim Carrey on 'Dumb and Dumber' LOL.... which is why we need to get it fixed.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM

$1,100 for a crown? Seems a little over priced. $800 would be more reasonable. That's the out the door price. Shop around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I can only tell you what my dentist told me...my tooth could not be refillled and I need a crown...I get the dental lab etc.,but I think the dentist should accept the $600 dollars my insurance covered and not charge me a $500 copay!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Kash, didn't you say you applied for KidCare? they should cover that.

There is a Great Expressions in that Target plaza in Carrollwood that takes that. Kids should have MCNA dental if they have KidCare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM

This is a good plan IF you don't have MAJOR crap to do:
Solstice Plus Plan One - Helping Americans save on dental care

Quote:
$1,100 for a crown? Seems a little over priced. $800 would be more reasonable. That's the out the door price. Shop around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay