Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM

31 posts, read 45,532 times

Advertisements

I am looking for pointers/ideas on making use of the ground level of my soon to be new home. According to the current owner, this level is not insurable (flood?), so it's currently a 3 cars garage and a lot of storage space.
What do I need to consider if I were to make an entertainment area plus a bathroom here?

Thanks,
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Not insurable - because of previous damage or high risk?

Or, insurable only if you get flood insurance?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM

I believe it is high flooding risk because the property is on IRB area. The place was built in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Not insurable - because of previous damage or high risk?

Or, insurable only if you get flood insurance?

Last edited by JoeBI; 11-28-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
I know a couple who purchased a $2m plus home this year. About 3500 sq ft is uninsurable and is fitted out probably and furnished to the value of conservatively $250,000. Not to mention two very very expensive cars (but they are prob separate policy) They have insurance, but frankly I'd like to see them get a payout if it floods. I think you take a risk with this and may not get building consent so have to build illegally and if you do that, then I bet insurance has a way out. Just my opinion though.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 AM

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
I just want to make something basic that can be built in such a way that is not costly to replace if flood damaged, and can't be used as 'a way out' by insurance firm to deny other legitimate claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I know a couple who purchased a $2m plus home this year. About 3500 sq ft is uninsurable and is fitted out probably and furnished to the value of conservatively $250,000. Not to mention two very very expensive cars (but they are prob separate policy) They have insurance, but frankly I'd like to see them get a payout if it floods. I think you take a risk with this and may not get building consent so have to build illegally and if you do that, then I bet insurance has a way out. Just my opinion though.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Use outdoor resin wicker if you want furniture.... You can find some stuff that is very comfortable. Not a big deal if it gets wet. Basically, just decorate it with outdoor/patio furniture. Maybe get a couple sump pumps with batter backups as well so you can try to pump out any water that does come in.

Maybe turn it into a sunroom?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

^ Thanks FloridaKash, that's one excellent idea. Now about the bathroom? iguess I can find out from contractors what kind of wall materials don't not mind getting wet and woundn't grow moldy? I believe the plumbing would be easy because the laundry room is already on this level.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 AM

Default Need contractor recommendation

I am ready to put this idea into reality. Can you recommend good contractors who have actual experience in this sort of work?
Thanks
Joe

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
Does the area have french drainage? Where I grew up, the entire town had a high water table. The house I lived in as a kid had a sump pump (thank God) but when we lost power, we'd have to bail water out of the basement (my Dad didn't buy a generator 'til years later). The house I owned (same town) also had french drainage and in all the hurricanes and heavy rains we'd get, flooding our back yard, the french drains worked great!

I don't know how much is involved but here's a link I found for installation:

How to Install an Interior French Drain | eHow

Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
I know if you are in Pinellas county if they find out you put in a bathroom the bottom level they will make you take it out...so you will have to be very stealthy when you put it in...I don't think anyone will insure it...I guess you could over insure the upper levels...that might work as long as you don't over do it and raise a red flag!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay