Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

I am so mad right now, just overdrafted two times because the gas station on Highland and Bellaire held my account for $75 and my actual bill was $20. It used to be they passed the card for $1.00 and then that would drop off, Now the bank tells me more and more gas stations are doing it, I am going on to the TV stations so we can not just see who is cheaper in GAS but who is holding what, and I think it should make it all the way to the bank regulators,,, just NOT RIGHT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
That's bull that they do that. Was there any warning on the pump that they would hold $75? Does it matter if you do it as Credit or Debit? I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same stations that have a cash price and a credit/debit price. I refuse to get gas at stations that charge me more for using a credit/debit card other than their own.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM

315 posts, read 651,969 times
yeap I cant even use my debit card at the pump unless my avail balance is over $100. If not it will say "please see cashier" everytime.

At the register its a (point of sale) transaction so will go through because it confirms the amount is avail.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I'd consider changing banks - any bank that charged you an overdraft for a "hold" sounds like they're backasswards. Customer gets screwed again.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It isn't possible to overdraft a credit card.

If you're within $100 of your credit card limit, bank balance, or anything of that sort, you shouldn't be wasting time chatting on Internet forums. You should be working more and saving your money better.
lol @ this tool.

Some people have low limit credit cards (ie $500 or less) and decide to use those or only put enough in checking to cover expenses for that pay period while investing the rest.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Some people have low limit credit cards (ie $500 or less) and decide to use those or only put enough in checking to cover expenses for that pay period while investing the rest.
And that doesn't change the fact that it is impossible to overdraft a credit card. By the way, checking has nothing to do with credit cards.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It isn't possible to overdraft a credit card.

If you're within $100 of your credit card limit, bank balance, or anything of that sort, you shouldn't be wasting time chatting on Internet forums. You should be working more and saving your money better.
YOU don't know anything about me! They froze, my $75 and charged me the gas of $20 a total of $95 on my DEBIT card. When I went to buy my milk and bread that amount was paid but the bank charged the $30 overdraft fee and when I went to buy something at another store again I was charged for a 2nd overdraft fee, so you have no clue what you are saying! My son died through complications of war, and I have some of his medical debt to clear up- and working 2 jobs! so please do NOT judge me! What they are doing is UNJUST to any consumer and they are able to hold the money up to 3 days at your bank. Not every body is a rich person like you to be looking down at good hard working American families!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'd consider changing banks - any bank that charged you an overdraft for a "hold" sounds like they're backasswards. Customer gets screwed again.
I did my research, my next call is to the Fla, Banking and Financial Services, Tally-to complain. The gas stations decide how much they want to hold through their bank. The Law allows them as some many people ripped them off after the customary $1 went through and they sped away not paying for the gas. SO now they have gone overboard and this has been happeing in many states since 2008. One person on RIP OIFF calimed 12 gas and 100 held in another state. My bank said we have no idea what you are driving a semi maybe-- so we simply honor the hold, regardless of the amount. They gave me a courtesy refund for one of the fees. I am writing this to warn people and have contacted media, so you might hear of it on our local news. Times are TOO tight for people, and I think they should be forewarned, and will continue to press the issue, as I think it is over the top! By the way this was on a DEBIT card that should have just swiped and took the amount. SO this is why I am NOT understanding the HOLD. But googling- I am not the only person.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
And that doesn't change the fact that it is impossible to overdraft a credit card. By the way, checking has nothing to do with credit cards.
true, what about Debit card?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
I had no idea they could do that. Completely ridiculous!

I run my debit as credit because if I use it as debit I have to pay my CU for each transaction. I don't care if I have extra in there. It should not be held by the gas station.

Absolutely rude comments from those who believe everyone can afford to have at least $100 in reserve at all times. Most people go through periods of time where every penny counts and it certainly does not mean they are sitting around doing nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: