Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
You either have a leak or your neighbor is connected to your meter. I have a pool that requires frequent top-offs and have had house guests plus multiple toilets running continuously before I fixed them. My largest monthly usage was under 10k gal.
How often do you need to top off and how many inches in the pool each time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I have no idea what the cause is, so as I posted above I turned off the irrigation and am not going to top off the pool or do anything else that would constitute anything but "normal" water usage so I can try and see what the cause was.
This is what I want to try to do. I can go without the irrigation, but I don't know how long I can go without filling up the pool. We get billed every two months apparently.

I just did an online water usage calculator based on what we have and it says we should be using 400 gallons a day, which even seems high. It showed just my irrigation and pool topping off account for half of my current usage. The irrigation was running once a week for 3 hours 45 minutes total for 6 zones. I think that was the biggest issue. Come on mother nature!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
This is what I want to try to do. I can go without the irrigation, but I don't know how long I can go without filling up the pool. We get billed every two months apparently.

I just did an online water usage calculator based on what we have and it says we should be using 400 gallons a day, which even seems high. It showed just my irrigation and pool topping off account for half of my current usage. The irrigation was running once a week for 3 hours 45 minutes total for 6 zones. I think that was the biggest issue. Come on mother nature!
The other possibility I am entertaining - is an incorrect initial meter read.

I just bought my house the first week of November. Prior to that, I tried to be proactive and had my electric service, tv, internet, and everything else set up ahead of time. When I contacted HCU to see what I needed to do to transfer the water service into my name from the seller, they told me to tell the seller not to do anything, and that I should go to their office immediately after my closing on the house with the paperwork as proof that I now owned it and they would do the transfer right then and there.

I relayed this information to the seller, who of course didn't listen. They called up and had them turn the water off. So, I had to get it turned back on. They came out and did an initial meter read when they turned the water back on. The guy just wrote down the numbers off the meter onto a notepad. Maybe something got transposed or otherwise screwed up when they put it in the system.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,401 times
Quote:
How often do you need to top off and how many inches in the pool each time?
The pool is 15 x 40 feet. I fill it about 3 inches every one to four weeks (depending on rain, wild pool parties, time of year and other weather factors). I know there is a discussion in another post about how often is normal, but I've noticed that it loses water the fastest when it is windy (there are no structures/trees blocking the wind) and sunny (it gets every hour possible of direct sun in the summer).

A sunny, very windy day in the summer will easily rob me of a half inch of water.

Simple math tells you that it is 150 cubic feet per fill, which converts to 1,122 gallons.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM

325 posts, read 441,400 times
I am on a Private Well so I don't know how much water we use.I do know that my water bill....Oh Wait, I don't have a water bill!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I do not believe the above poster who claims that 34k gallons costs $85 in Spring Hill. Are you also including the matching sewer and TBW charges?
Why would you post that you don't believe someone before just doing a quick check?

For 34K gallons through Hernando County Utilities it would cost $67.50 under normal conditions, the only reason his bill was a little higher was because SWFWMD still has Hernando as under a water shortage so the higher block rates are in effect bringing 34K gallons up to the $85 or so.

Even if you add sewer to the normal rate it would only bring it up to $99.01.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
8200 Gallon on my last bill. Family of 5, 2 dogs and 2 cats (they drink water too), 4 bath house with a pool. No irregation system and haven't been doing much watering at all this winter.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times
Quote:
We get billed every two months apparently.

That's your key! For two months, it is OK.

Average user in Tampa Bay is about 6 to 8000 gallons/month.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
That's your key! For two months, it is OK.

Average user in Tampa Bay is about 6 to 8000 gallons/month.
It was 34,000 gallons for two months. 17,000 gallons for one month. 540 gallons per day.

After discussion here and doing some calculations, I think the bulk of the excess was the irrigation system (now shut off) and my very strange pool issue. Sometimes loses water, sometimes doesn't.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times
Quote:
It was 34,000 gallons for two months. 17,000 gallons for one month. 540 gallons per day.

After discussion here and doing some calculations, I think the bulk of the excess was the irrigation system (now shut off) and my very strange pool issue. Sometimes loses water, sometimes doesn't.
Wow, then that is a lot. But again your swimming pool leak is 2K more but still 15K/month seems high to me.

Not sure the irrigation will acount for all that. You will figure it out soon. I have a reclaimed water, so my experience is different. Our annual average is about 6000 per month for three people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay