Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,519 times

Advertisements

Hello my question is how do go about getting temporary plates so I can drive a car from long island to pasco county.the car isn't under my name yet and my girlfriends uncle will be selling it to us for cheap.im completely lost in this and will LOVE it if anyone would be able to answer or at least provide some information on h
ow to go about this,THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM

27 posts, read 53,934 times
Every state is a bit different. You will have to check at your license bureau, but I would think you would want the car in your name first.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM

would i have to go to the dmv in florida where i live and where im bringing the car or in long island?thank you for you help

Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
You should be able to do the transfer of ownership at the dmv in NY, get 30 day temp tag, then drive to FL.

Once here, get your permanent registration, etc.

You will need to show proof of insurance to do all of it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
You should be able to do the transfer of ownership at the dmv in NY, get 30 day temp tag, then drive to FL.

Once here, get your permanent registration, etc.

You will need to show proof of insurance to do all of it.
Wouldn't it just be easier if the uncle signed the title over to him and he then get a 10-15-30 day temp tag from NY and register in Florida?

If you switch the title in New York, you'll have to wait for the state to mail you the title back in your name.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
That is what I am saying. Just get the title signed/notarized in NY, get a temp tag, and go. That is what I meant by transfer of ownership, I wasn't talking about the title.

I bought a new car before moving down here, bank holds the title because I financed part of it. I have to wait for them to send the title here to Florida before they will give me Florida tags.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
That is what I am saying. Just get the title signed/notarized in NY, get a temp tag, and go. That is what I meany by transfer of ownership, I wasn't talking about the title.
Oh okay, I misread, I thought you said for him to switch everything in New York.

Yeah, the best thing for the OP to do would be to get his uncle to sign the title and get a notarized bill of sale.

Theoretically, he could even register the car in Florida from New Jersey.

There's a link somewhere on the FLHSMV.Gov website that talks about mailing or bringing in all of your information and getting a registration and tags that way.

For example, A long time ago my sister registered her van in Florida while it sat in Tennessee, all she had to do was show proof of address, Florida insurance, and had to have a form signed and notarized by a safety official in Tennessee that verified the VIN.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quite simple, actually. I just bought a car in North Carolina last week, and this is how I did it (I have done this several times previously, so I have some experience with the process.):

1.) Purchase car in NY and get an executed title and a bill of sale. You can find all kinds of bills of sale on the internet for free.

2.) Check with the NY DMV regarding temporary tags. Most states have some sort of temporary tag arrangement. In my case last week, I went right to the NC DMV office close to where I purchased the car, gave them the fully executed title, proof of insurance and my driver's license, and 10 minutes later I was out the door with a 10 day temporary tag. A grand total of $5, however, they can be more in other states. I did one in Pennsylvania last year and it was over $60. More about that in a minute.

3.) When you arrive in Florida, go to the local tax collector's office with the title, bill of sale and proof of Florida insurance. You will need to have the vehicle with you as well for a VIN verification, which is required of any out of state vehicle being titled in Florida.

If you were required to pay tax on the purchase in NY, be sure to have proof of your payment when you go to the tax collector's office, as Florida will not require you to pay tax here, unless Florida's tax is higher (and I'm sure it's not!) If it was, you would only be required to pay the difference.

You will get dinged with the $225 "new vehicle" fee. Unless the person you know down here has an old registration sitting out in the system that can be applied against this car, you're pretty well stuck on this.

Back to the temporary plate issue:

(Disclaimer - I am not advocating that anyone avoid or attempt to "skirt" Florida laws.)

Some states, such as Pennsylvania, charge what I would consider an excessive fee for temporary plates, or you might be getting the car on the weekend when the DMV is not open. I find it difficult to justify spending nearly $100 just to put a paper plate on a car that I am driving directly back to Florida. If you have access to a Florida plate that *might* be transferred to this car have it sent to you and put it on the car to drive it down here. You should also have a copy of the registration that goes with the plate, even though the description does not match your car. If you get here and decide not to transfer the plate, well, you'll just have to get a new one when you register the car. (Nudge, nudge, grin, grin, wink, wink.)

The likelihood of getting stopped with a current plate is pretty slim, but if you should, be prepared to explain what you are doing to the officer. Most will understand and have little concern if everything is in order and you're not doing something really egregious.

RM

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You will need to have the vehicle with you as well for a VIN verification, which is required of any out of state vehicle being titled in Florida.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82042.pdf

The form specifically states at the bottom that the VIN can be verified by an out of state dealer as long as it's submitted on their letterhead or stationary. As I stated earlier, my sister registered her van in Florida while the van sat in Tennessee.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Thank you all for your information and help I sure do appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay