Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,824,862 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am a Red Sox fan but certainly not one of those crazed obnoxious ones. Simply, I just like the game of baseball and grew up in an era where I can appreciate when free agency was a new concept (not that I'm old enough to have seen it but wasn't Hawk Harrelson one of the first?) and players started and ended their careers with the same team.

I've always wanted to go to Spring Training where you can see players from various teams, I'm sure the atmosphere is much more relaxed. The closest I've come is seeing a Cactus Lg. game in Arizona which was pretty cool.

I'm just wondering what kind of interest there is for visiting the fields and what the experience has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Yes, I am a Red Sox fan but certainly not one of those crazed obnoxious ones. Simply, I just like the game of baseball and grew up in an era where I can appreciate when free agency was a new concept (not that I'm old enough to have seen it but wasn't Hawk Harrelson one of the first?) and players started and ended their careers with the same team.

I've always wanted to go to Spring Training where you can see players from various teams, I'm sure the atmosphere is much more relaxed. The closest I've come is seeing a Cactus Lg. game in Arizona which was pretty cool.

I'm just wondering what kind of interest there is for visiting the fields and what the experience has been.
I haven't been to Spring Training in probably 15 years, but the Red Sox are in Ft. Myers, not Tampa.

I used to make a circuit with my father, we'd see the Reds in Plant City, Yankees in Tampa, Indians in Winter Haven, Royals in Baseball City, Astros in Osceola County, and the Braves in Orlando.

Ironically, I believe half of those teams are no longer in those locations.

It's hot and often boring if you're just going for practices, games are okay though.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,824,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I haven't been to Spring Training in probably 15 years, but the Red Sox are in Ft. Myers, not Tampa.

I used to make a circuit with my father, we'd see the Reds in Plant City, Yankees in Tampa, Indians in Winter Haven, Royals in Baseball City, Astros in Osceola County, and the Braves in Orlando.

Ironically, I believe half of those teams are no longer in those locations.

It's hot and often boring if you're just going for practices, games are okay though.

Oh, it doesn't matter to me what team(s) I see, I was just wondering what teams and fields are close enough and what kind of experience people have had.

That sounds like fun what you did with your father.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
I usually go to 5-6 exhibition games. Either down in Bradenton, Sarasota, or up in Clearwater. Red Sox games in the area are usually packed and tickets can be hard to come by due to the snowbirders from the northeast.

If you just want to see a couple of teams play, recommend going to the Pirates down in Bradenton and wait for a team no one cares to see play (Twins, Astros) - tickets are easy to get - either at the box office as a walk up or a scalper outside the stadium selling them at face value.

Parking costs about $10.

Wear plenty of sun block. Can get pretty damn hot out there as well.

Hard to get autographs during games (I'm not a seeker, but see people trying).

If you're an avid fan, you can see them practice at their various fields this week before game begin. A couple of days ago I drove down to Port Charlotte and saw my fav team practice for a few hours. Good photo ops. Kind of neat watching them take batting practice close-up.

Spring Training Online 2013: Your Complete Guide to Baseball's Spring Season

Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Why would you bother watching someone practice ?

This would be like travelling to a gig to watch Eric Clapton do a sound check but not see the gig.

Crazy.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM

57 posts, read 113,821 times
spring training games are the best. take in the sunshine, get a coke and hot dog, and enjoy yourself. I've never tried either, but I've seen a few people get autographs if you're into that, but its definitely a more relaxed atmosphere. I've only been to dodgers games in vero. I'm not a dodgers fan, but its still a good time.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Moderator cut: post was deleted

I was able to see Wil Myers swing the bat - he'll likely not play for the Rays until the second half the of the season and is supposedly the second-coming of Evan Longoria. Seeing future Rays players out there also was a plus - so when they show up in the lineup, I'll remember.

There were about 200 cars in the spectator parking lot to see the Rays workout.

Again, you'd have to be an avid fan to understand.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-01-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

A couple of pictures that I took on Tuesday down at Port Charlotte.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
As a lifelong Phillies fan, I am thrilled to be going to my first spring training game this coming Saturday. I hear it's a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay