Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM

38 posts, read 65,338 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am new here. Please excuse my long post for my mind has been troubled on what I should do. I am posting in all 3 sections to hopefully get more responses..thanks!

The old me was never afraid to take risks and move on...so I am blaming partly myself and my weak insecurities for letting the job market affect my emotions..which I feel has made me sad...and thus..unable to move. Perhaps, reading through this, some of you might have been in my position at one time in life, or know of someone in my shoes or even can just relate to the thoughts of moving.

As everyone knows, the job market is still quite shaky and uncertain. I am originally from the Midwest (the dakotas) and I moved here in 1992. I am a Rutgers graduate and for the most part love living the Brunswicks of Middlesex County. However, due to losing my job twice in this crappy economy, I am strong considering moving out of here.

I am approaching my late 30's. I like the South Brunswick/Plainsboro/Cranbury/Somerset areas for the country feel that reminds me of home. That is why I never moved out of this area. I have no family or other ties to hold me down to staying in NJ. I am college educated with a diverse work background but I am always "deemed" overqualified...yet I am always in the top 3 for jobs. (Go fig!) =0)

It sure would be awesome to get some sound advice and input from those men/women who are in my age bracket and that are single. I hope to meet Mr. Right...and go from there in life...but right now..I am unhappy and tired of living out here....

I love the nightlife as much as I value the country charmed life. I love quiet down time and zen moments. But I love the hustle and bustle of being near the big cities. Where I am now..I am not to far from NYC, Philly, AC, the Poconos, Washing DC..etc...you get the idea...I have and eclectic taste for all things fine and divine as well as calm and serene in life. I can adapt to anyplace. Just need help to figure out where???

I am so sick of renting...I know that i could buy 2 homes in either of the places based on all the money I spent on rent over the years...

These are my top 3 choices for a fresh start (though I feel nervous to move again in life and alone..I guess =o(

1. Austin/Dallas - Texas

I have been desiring to move to Austin/Dallas..but probably Austin for job opportunities and to get a fresh new start. I have never been to Austin but know many people from Jersey have moved there and have some old friends over that way. I fell in love with San Antonio back in Summer 2010 for I had so much fun on the River Walk. But I think Austin will better suit me. I know only of the Lake Travis area. so any feedback on surrounding neighborhoods would be great. The job market is great here

2. Myrtle Beach - South Carolina

I use to live in Columbia when my step-father was in the Army. We lived in Fr. Sumter. I remember trips to Charleston (which I love) and of course, Myrtle Beach. I had a co-worker move to Columbia over 15 years ago to get away form the taxes and to have a better life. I do church online and one of my locations is out of Myrtle Beach. I lived with my real mom in Savannah, (went to school there) so the weather in the South will not bother me to much. But I really like the church and I though maybe this is a sign to move there to be part of the growing church community. Who knows..maybe God has a special someone lined up for me here or in any of these 3 places. Again..the job market is not so bad I here.

3. Tampa Bay Area - Florida

Tampa would have never been on my list..had it not been for some kind stranger that I was conversing with from there while changing my car insurance policy. The nice person moved with his wife out of the Boston area after her retired there. He took a job at the car insurance place. They moved for they had only 1 son about my age who lives there. The nice man had nothing but wonderful things to say about the area. He also stressed to not get worried that only elderly folks move to Tampa. And I know the job market is not to bad there.
---------------------------------------------

So, there..Whew! Sorry if I wrote to much..but this has been keeping me up for the last few weeks. Moving back to the Dakotas is not an option for me...I love the country and it is a great place to raise a family..but I do not care for the blizzards and for some strong reason...I do not feel my special someone will be from there.

It is so much easier to move when you are in your 20's for I have lived all over the USA and finally settled in NJ and have not moved since. I would like to believe I still have a lot of life left and perhaps this maybe a sign for me to move one more time.

I kinda wish I had a special someone in my life that in my shoes...but for now...I hold steady to my faith..and welcome any thoughts and ideas. I am not in my 20's but I am not "over the hill".

Kind Regards and Bless you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM

109 posts, read 325,455 times

Tampa would have never been on my list..had it not been for some kind stranger that I was conversing with from there while changing my car insurance policy. The nice person moved with his wife out of the Boston area after her retired there. He took a job at the car insurance place. They moved for they had only 1 son about my age who lives there. The nice man had nothing but wonderful things to say about the area. He also stressed to not get worried that only elderly folks move to Tampa. And I know the job market is not to bad there.

I don't know what type of job you would be looking for but the unemployment rate in Tampa has been running around 8 to 10 percent these past 6 years... It's starting to turn around but not fast enough. I've lived here 10 years and stay because, well, my business is here.
If he's working for Progressive he's making about $12/hr. as call center agent. I know because a friend's husband did that after selling his business in Buffalo. They have their retirement and SS income so salary is not a big deal. You honestly need to come here and spend a week driving around and talking to people before you decide to move here. and that's just my humble opinion.

Last edited by unicorn1209; 04-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: couldn't see the color.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
As someone who knows all three areas, here is my order of preference:

1) Tampa (actually Pinellas County, not Tampa itself or Hillsborough County)

2) Austin (west Austin right on Lake Travis)

3) Myrtle Beach.....only if I have to have it on the list. Otherwise, San Antonio.

IMO, the housing market here is ripe for the pickings. It got hit hard with the bust, so it is "my" unprofessional opinion that we will do better here than most other places, as prices are rising now and there are enough fundamentals in place to show continued increases.

IMO, the beaches here are far better with many more options. Austin is obviously landlocked.

The weather here is more stable. The other locations have much more extremes in both winter and summer.

IMO, the job market is better than Myrtle Beach, but Austin is hard to beat in that regard.

Austin is weird (their slogan), here IMO is sensible and not extreme.

Here is right on the gulf coast.....need I say more?

The above is all "my" opinion, based on what "I" like. YMMV and only you can decide what is right and sensible for you. If a career was my number one priority, I would probably put Austin at the top of my list. But if it is only one part of the puzzle, then Austin goes back to number two on my list.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta379 View Post
Hi Everyone! I am new here. Please excuse my long post for my mind has been troubled on what I should do. I am posting in all 3 sections to hopefully get more responses..thanks!

The old me was never afraid to take risks and move on...so I am blaming partly myself and my weak insecurities for letting the job market affect my emotions..which I feel has made me sad...and thus..unable to move. Perhaps, reading through this, some of you might have been in my position at one time in life, or know of someone in my shoes or even can just relate to the thoughts of moving.

As everyone knows, the job market is still quite shaky and uncertain. I am originally from the Midwest (the dakotas) and I moved here in 1992. I am a Rutgers graduate and for the most part love living the Brunswicks of Middlesex County. However, due to losing my job twice in this crappy economy, I am strong considering moving out of here.

I am approaching my late 30's. I like the South Brunswick/Plainsboro/Cranbury/Somerset areas for the country feel that reminds me of home. That is why I never moved out of this area. I have no family or other ties to hold me down to staying in NJ. I am college educated with a diverse work background but I am always "deemed" overqualified...yet I am always in the top 3 for jobs. (Go fig!) =0)

It sure would be awesome to get some sound advice and input from those men/women who are in my age bracket and that are single. I hope to meet Mr. Right...and go from there in life...but right now..I am unhappy and tired of living out here....

I love the nightlife as much as I value the country charmed life. I love quiet down time and zen moments. But I love the hustle and bustle of being near the big cities. Where I am now..I am not to far from NYC, Philly, AC, the Poconos, Washing DC..etc...you get the idea...I have and eclectic taste for all things fine and divine as well as calm and serene in life. I can adapt to anyplace. Just need help to figure out where???

I am so sick of renting...I know that i could buy 2 homes in either of the places based on all the money I spent on rent over the years...

These are my top 3 choices for a fresh start (though I feel nervous to move again in life and alone..I guess =o(

1. Austin/Dallas - Texas

I have been desiring to move to Austin/Dallas..but probably Austin for job opportunities and to get a fresh new start. I have never been to Austin but know many people from Jersey have moved there and have some old friends over that way. I fell in love with San Antonio back in Summer 2010 for I had so much fun on the River Walk. But I think Austin will better suit me. I know only of the Lake Travis area. so any feedback on surrounding neighborhoods would be great. The job market is great here

2. Myrtle Beach - South Carolina

I use to live in Columbia when my step-father was in the Army. We lived in Fr. Sumter. I remember trips to Charleston (which I love) and of course, Myrtle Beach. I had a co-worker move to Columbia over 15 years ago to get away form the taxes and to have a better life. I do church online and one of my locations is out of Myrtle Beach. I lived with my real mom in Savannah, (went to school there) so the weather in the South will not bother me to much. But I really like the church and I though maybe this is a sign to move there to be part of the growing church community. Who knows..maybe God has a special someone lined up for me here or in any of these 3 places. Again..the job market is not so bad I here.

So, there..Whew! Sorry if I wrote to much..but this has been keeping me up for the last few weeks. Moving back to the Dakotas is not an option for me...I love the country and it is a great place to raise a family..but I do not care for the blizzards and for some strong reason...I do not feel my special someone will be from there.

It is so much easier to move when you are in your 20's for I have lived all over the USA and finally settled in NJ and have not moved since. I would like to believe I still have a lot of life left and perhaps this maybe a sign for me to move one more time.

I kinda wish I had a special someone in my life that in my shoes...but for now...I hold steady to my faith..and welcome any thoughts and ideas. I am not in my 20's but I am not "over the hill".

Kind Regards and Bless you all!
I did my undergrad at Rutgers (2001), I lived in Bergen County. I lived in Texas for 2 years, Austin is awesome for the most part but I felt confined , like outside of Austin was another country that I wanted no part of. At any rate I live in South Tampa, its feels like suburban NJ, older homes, oak trees, largely college educated. The cool thing about the Tampa area is that it contains a lot of "habitats" sort of speak, you can find rural areas, beach towns, suburbia, semi-urban, urban. All in a small scale of course, our urban areas are not Manhattan, but you can find food 24 hours a day, you can go to a bar any night of the week that sort of thing.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Unicorn1209

Thanks for your input. How funny you knew which insurance company he was from. Yeah...I was going to cancel and go back to All-State (still deciding) but we ended up having a conversation about jobs and all. Obviously he is much older but still provided great insight. His wife work at (I believe) Moffet Hospital...so there is another connection. He suggested I should work part-time for Progressive for they do have telecommute/work at home positions..thus freeing me to live anywhere...so we shall see.

I hope to make some good connections via any of the sections I am so when I visit these places..I may be able to meet up with people and go from there. All I know...is I need a change...and each day that passes is each day I am not fully living life.

Of course, I will take time this summer to come and visit these areas. I am getting great feedback in all the sections I posted in for less than 48 hours..so I am happy.

I do need to make a road trip to Tampa and stay for awhile. I plan to see how things go in the next 2 months or less. I hope to gather enough information, get some more networkings in place and etc. I just do not want to get up in move without having my ducks all lined up properly. My passion will to be to work online from home or anywhere (which I am working on) but to find something more secure while I am working on my dream job. I love NJ..but I feel the strong need from the heart that I am suppose to settle somewhere else...so right now...my faith is in God...and I hope I make the right decisions...again...thanks.

Last edited by kta379; 04-29-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM

DUNNDFRNT,

Thank you for your input. I like what you said about Tampa...which is a good thing to know. I plan to visit all 3 cities at some point this summer. You know the old football coach from Rutgers is down in Tampa and they just got Revis. I am a huge football fan..so Tampa looks promising. Wherever I choose to go, I will retain a residency here for I have a few close friends around the Tri-Sate area. In addition, I go to both the Jets/Giants football games and plan to attend some games down in Philly. My next career move will have have to give me room to breathe...(so sick of corporate America and friends having setbacks due to our STILL struggling economy)...so I hold faith. Again...thanks! Be cool to have a job in one place with the option to travel to the other places...lol...aaahhh..but a dream! =0)

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

PriusH8r,

PRIUSH8R:

Thank you for your input. I really valued what you wrote for you knew about all 3 areas. I am not to worried about Myrtle Beach (being that I lived in both Columbia, Savannah and know Charleston)...if I choose here; it is more for personal spiritual reasons...for I really do love the church down there.

As for the rest, I am also taking into account about those who moved from Jersey to these areas. I already mentioned that I am quite adaptable. And of course...if I was married or had someone to tag with me...even better...but as a single person..I mentioned how in my 20's moving around is so much easier..but in 30's..well..still hesitant. With the economy still a bust...(do not pay attention to the media-they work for the devil..imo)..but seriously...I know I should be so darn lucky to not have any strings to tie me down. Right???

Anyway...great picture on your profile. If you recommend any condo/townhome complexes in either Tampa area or Austin, do let me know. I love the Lake Travis area and have been researching places to live over there. I mentioned Dallas/Ft. Worth..and if I had the money..I would buy myself a lovely home in Arlington.

I need to find a balance where I can make friends, have place to go out and do things, have a decent job where I should not have to worry if should "treat myself" every now and then and just have a decent quality of life. If the Dakotas had Austin or any of the other towns..I move back there...but no more blizzards for me...lol....love the summers there.n LOL =0P

Further, right now..I am renting out the 3rd bedroom in my place. I met with 2 professionals from Houston, that grew up in Austin....and they both said...AUSTIN!!! Both professionals were in my age group...and they said I could do not wrong with Austin. And one of them said Tampa Bay is his second choice....and from those I have conversed with around here...so far...Austin at 55%, Tampa 40 and Myrtle Beach at 5%...

Also..I know I need to consider down the long run...say should I get married and maybe start a family....but that is down the road. Again..thanks for the insight.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
If you ever gotten a single word of good advice on this forum, the following word would be it...

Dallas.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

TXRYANB23,

HAHAHA...you just cracked me up....that was good! Thanks..I needed that. And thank you for your simple input! =0P

I am personally taking the time to respond back to each and every individual who took the extra time to respond back to me...after reading my long-winded post. I just someone pre-judge my post in one of the other sections and some members stood up for me.

I hope to come see the Giants play at Dallas ...hopefully..... =0)

I mentioned to someone..if I hit the lotto..I would buy myself a beautiful home in Arlington...but right now...many are saying to move outside of any of the towns of Austin and Tampa. I know that Rockwall is moving up in real estate..and it is nice area. I have a friend down there....

I planning to visit all 3 places by summer's end.

Dallas in my opinion is great...but not sure if that is where I plan to settle...so right now...I am reading and researching as much as I can over the course of the next few months.

Again..thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta379 View Post
TXRYANB23,

HAHAHA...you just cracked me up....that was good! Thanks..I needed that. And thank you for your simple input! =0P

I am personally taking the time to respond back to each and every individual who took the extra time to respond back to me...after reading my long-winded post. I just someone pre-judge my post in one of the other sections and some members stood up for me.

I hope to come see the Giants play at Dallas ...hopefully..... =0)

I mentioned to someone..if I hit the lotto..I would buy myself a beautiful home in Arlington...but right now...many are saying to move outside of any of the towns of Austin and Tampa. I know that Rockwall is moving up in real estate..and it is nice area. I have a friend down there....

I planning to visit all 3 places by summer's end.

Dallas in my opinion is great...but not sure if that is where I plan to settle...so right now...I am reading and researching as much as I can over the course of the next few months.

Again..thanks!
The Metroplex would offer the most bang for your buck, not just in the basic cost of living things (because Austin is similar) but there would be greater employment opportunities, greater amounts of things to do (sports, museums, parks, ect, ect) and provides the amenities that a metropolitan area of close to 8 million people has to offer.

I'd personally choose Houston over both Dallas and Austin, but I'm biased.

Truth be told, If I won the lottery, I'd buy a beachfront house on Treasure Island near St. Petersburg, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay