Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Joking about texting - if not such a serious problem, I'd laugh, too. Like drunk driving, texting is a major problem. Sometimes while at stop lights I'll look at the drivers around me and often see all of them with their noses stuck into their portable devices. I'm hoping that once the light turns green, they put it aside, but I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
My sis is in real estate,,, text as drives, my son is cable guy -text as drives, my daughter in law just texts as drive, I text at stop lights or wait till I get there to answer,

Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My sis is in real estate,,, text as drives, my son is cable guy -text as drives, my daughter in law just texts as drive, I text at stop lights or wait till I get there to answer,
hope they all have decent life insurance plans

Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I wont ride with them- already turned blue and can't wait till the LAW is passed. they dont like that kind of problems so,,, maybe.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Haven't been on here too much in the last week or so but when I saw this thread title, I first thought it had to do with sporting events and unruly tailgaters lol

Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
As long as the person in front of you doesn't have to hit the brakes hard to avoid something. But if they do, it can be a big mess. People can die as a result of your stupidity.
If it were plausible that the person in front of me would need to jam on the brakes, it would be an inappropriate time to tailgate. But nice job actually reading my post.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
I wonder how many of you put on makeup while driving...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have a relative in DC who text so scary that none of the other family members would ride with him and he is refusing to stop. That's an accident waiting to happen.

I not only do not text at all but also don't talk by phone while driving. I don't even look at text while in a car. If I get call, I pick and tell them "I need both of my hands to drive," which I do since I have a stick shift. I can shift gear quick with no hand on a wheel, but why would I bet on my safety doing it, and there is no reward for that talent .

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
My feeling is "plausible" includes rare events as well as everyday ones (over a lifetime, the rare things can sometimes happen to you), and so therefore it is always possible you may need to brake suddenly.

A car up ahead of you has a blow-out, something falls out of the back of a truck and takes some bounces so that out of nowhere your lane is suddenly blocked, the driver ahead of you goes into cardiac arrest and their car goes out of control...I can think of a couple of other scenarios, too (but that would be longer/more involved to describe), that were "once in a lifetime" (hopefully!), but that I did witness myself and could easily have gotten into a wreck because of.

Edit: A few other quick posts appeared above mine and so for clarity, I'm not addressing the tapping of brakes topic that has been discussed on this thread, I'm replying to the poster a few posts back who implied that there are appropriate and inappropriate times to tailgate depending on whether it's "plausible" that one may need to brake.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 05-23-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM

I have a nav system in the dash of my car and have found myself adjusting it while on the interstate - bad habit that needs to stop immediately - I can travel several hundred of feet and be looking away from the road - anything can be happening in front and I wouldn't know it in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay