Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkkjkhk View Post
I work at the Amazon in Ruskin. Starting wage for Tier 1, which is entry level, is $11 and I believe $11.25 for night shift. Tier 3 which is basically a manager/supervisor is $14.50. As of last week there were roughly 1350 employees. We walk much less than other FC's without robots. Lots of positions the workers stand at a station all day and robots bring the products to them. For other positions like mine, we can walk roughly 10 miles a day. I don't have a pedometer so it's a guess, but it's 10 hours between 4 floors. Up and down, back and forth all day. The first 3 days were tough on my feet but by the second week my feet were fine.

I've had a LOT of **** jobs and I actually enjoy working at Amazon. I read all the horror stories before I started and for our FC they don't apply. The management is nice and actually cares and so far everyone is pleasant and works together. It's been open for about 6 or 7 weeks now.
You folks are doing a great job. A friend of mine sells on Amazon and uses Fulfillment by Amazon, sent his first lot to the Ruskin center recently. He is very pleased.

I can't imagine walking 10 miles a day, whew. Good for you! Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 15,164 times
Amazon sure innovates quickly. Murfreesboro is only two years old and we don't have any robots. Yes, it's a heck of a lot of walking. I've worn a pedometer a couple times and walked over twelve miles.
I don't remember if I mentioned it before but a couple weeks ago they gave any employees who signed up a free flu shot. It's the first one I've gotten in years but I figured with as many people as there are in there it's better to be safe than sorry. You may not get rich working there but it's a good job. And when you factor in all the benefits it's really more than just your average $11/hr job.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterd View Post
Amazon sure innovates quickly. Murfreesboro is only two years old and we don't have any robots. Yes, it's a heck of a lot of walking. I've worn a pedometer a couple times and walked over twelve miles.
I don't remember if I mentioned it before but a couple weeks ago they gave any employees who signed up a free flu shot. It's the first one I've gotten in years but I figured with as many people as there are in there it's better to be safe than sorry. You may not get rich working there but it's a good job. And when you factor in all the benefits it's really more than just your average $11/hr job.
Sounds like it was nice addition to the area for working folks.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:05 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Love the 20-48 hour shipping we are getting out of there. That's right. Sometimes getting things in LESS than 24 hours. Thx y'all.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I love Amazon and am so happy they opened a facility in Ruskin. It's going to really help this area and it's nice to hear they are a decent place to work, as well. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled that they were coming here at first because I didn't want to pay sales tax and that was an advantage of ordering online, but they've won me over with their incredible service. I ordered something on Friday night at 8:30 pm and it was delivered to my house at noon on Saturday. You can't get much better service than that. Thank you Amazon and welcome to the area!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I love Amazon and am so happy they opened a facility in Ruskin. It's going to really help this area and it's nice to hear they are a decent place to work, as well. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled that they were coming here at first because I didn't want to pay sales tax and that was an advantage of ordering online, but they've won me over with their incredible service. I ordered something on Friday night at 8:30 pm and it was delivered to my house at noon on Saturday. You can't get much better service than that. Thank you Amazon and welcome to the area!
There is no sales tax advantage to ordering on line. In Florida, by law, you're supposed to pay sales tax on internet purchases to the state of Florida at the rate of your county's sales tax, in Hillsborough County, 7%. It's up to you to get the necessary forms and remit the money, I think you can do it quarterly, that's what I do. You can find the information here:

Welcome to the Florida Department of Revenue web site

It is a HUGE myth that internet purchases are not taxed. They are. It just means that the vendor doesn't have to collect the taxes, but it's up to the individual to pay them, unless the purchase is made within the state.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
There is no sales tax advantage to ordering on line. In Florida, by law, you're supposed to pay sales tax on internet purchases to the state of Florida at the rate of your county's sales tax, in Hillsborough County, 7%. It's up to you to get the necessary forms and remit the money, I think you can do it quarterly, that's what I do. You can find the information here:

Welcome to the Florida Department of Revenue web site

It is a HUGE myth that internet purchases are not taxed. They are. It just means that the vendor doesn't have to collect the taxes, but it's up to the individual to pay them, unless the purchase is made within the state.
Yes you are Suspose to but really how many do it. The states know that it's impossible to to track everyone down that buys off the web.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Yes you are Suspose to but really how many do it. The states know that it's impossible to to track everyone down that buys off the web.
They'll figure out something eventually, after all, the NSA tracks all our phone calls and online activity, so at some point they'll figure out a system.

And the reason they will is because people haven't complied and as usual, those of us who follow the law will get punished for those who don't.

I know it's a pain in the butt to comply, believe me, I hate it. But that's no excuse for not doing it.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Anyway, this is a huge plus for dealing with Amazon in Florida, because if you buy on that site, they collect and remit the taxes for you, so you are in compliance. Buy elsewhere, and it's on you to file and remit the taxes.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
They'll figure out something eventually, after all, the NSA tracks all our phone calls and online activity, so at some point they'll figure out a system.

And the reason they will is because people haven't complied and as usual, those of us who follow the law will get punished for those who don't.

I know it's a pain in the butt to comply, believe me, I hate it. But that's no excuse for not doing it.
Maybe one day but that day is far off and online shopping is riseing two fold right now with no tax and free shipping. Who wants to go out into a crowed store when it's only a click away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay