Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,620,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
You will have to have a very tall building constructed because the ocean is on the other side of the state.
You know, I was going to point that out too...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
I think Mira Bay @ Apollo Beach has homes on Tampa Bay, but not the gulf.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
If you dont mind being on a canal leading to open water or dont mind the intra coastal waterway theres plenty of homes in your price range around St Petes Coquina Key or out on the eastern side of St Pete Beach/Treasure Island areas , but if its ocean/Gulf view you want and a single family detached dwelling probably somewhere between Tarpon Springs and Crystal River is your best bet,perhaps something on a river like Weeki Wachee or Homossassa River.But Clearwater will be your closest beach of any major size and do price insurance costs of waterfront property

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM

663 posts, read 1,146,618 times
If you're willing to live in a condo, you can get a beautiful place with water views for that price.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,286,845 times
There are numerous properties with wide open Tampa Bay water views for much, much less than $1 million in the Tampa Bay area. My neighborhood, Shore Acres, has a large supply of open waterfront properties for sale, many at reasonable prices. My insurance (Citizens for wind and FEMA for flood) cost about 0.7% of my home's value annually. One of my neighbors is selling a 2800-3000 sq ft house on three levels for about $600k. Smaller homes still sell for $400k.

If you want Gulf views, though, there are considerably fewer of them. $300k will get you a nice condo.

"the MLS is the MLS": there are a lot of properties for sale right now as FSBOs (for sale by owner). In fact, three on my street are being sold that way right now. Why they don't spend a couple hundred bucks to advertise on the MLS is anyone's guess, so they may be sitting there for a while.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
Your insurance is much less than others that I've talked to. I stand corrected. Maybe you can find a place on the water where you won't pay and arm/leg for annual insurance.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,022,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
There are numerous properties with wide open Tampa Bay water views for much, much less than $1 million in the Tampa Bay area. My neighborhood, Shore Acres, has a large supply of open waterfront properties for sale, many at reasonable prices. My insurance (Citizens for wind and FEMA for flood) cost about 0.7% of my home's value annually. One of my neighbors is selling a 2800-3000 sq ft house on three levels for about $600k. Smaller homes still sell for $400k.

If you want Gulf views, though, there are considerably fewer of them. $300k will get you a nice condo.

"the MLS is the MLS": there are a lot of properties for sale right now as FSBOs (for sale by owner). In fact, three on my street are being sold that way right now. Why they don't spend a couple hundred bucks to advertise on the MLS is anyone's guess, so they may be sitting there for a while.
I thought even FSBO properties were listed on the MLS, seems crazy to limit your market to people driving by, even if you don't want to pay RE commissions.
My dad and brother bought a gulf front house back in 09, a 3/2 for less than 400k in Placida, but you have to take a water taxi there is no cars on the island, you would have to work from home, what is surprising about that is the taxes, is close to 12k a year.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,632,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

What's the condition of these houses? I've seen a lot of waterfront(canal, bay) homes on the MLS under $600k, but most need major upgrades.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,286,845 times
That particular house is a renovation. They bought it a couple years ago for $100k less, and are trying to squeeze out a few bucks. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Smart FSBO sellers put their properties on the MLS, but there's no law against putting a sign up in your yard that says "FOR SALE".

Check out 33702 and 33703 for some decently priced waterfront homes. Asking prices are probably up 40% in the past 3 years, but remember: asking price does not equal selling price. As I noted on city-data at the time, there were 1/4 acre lots on open water with old 1200 sq ft homes selling for $200k a few years ago.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious, OP, what profession are you and your husband in to afford such a nice home?
I'm an engineer and my husband does consulting. We are in the DC area now so it's much easier to find jobs of that sort up here. That was another issue with the Tampa area, not as many of these types of jobs, but we did see several defense contractors and other technology based companies but not sure what the salary difference would be.

And to those who pointed out my use of the word "ocean" instead of "gulf", thanks for the correction. I was using the word very loosely but I should be using the proper term if I'm going to live there (maybe) haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay