Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

I had to break down and call out a bug man. I had a swarm of ants around and inside the house that had to be in the billions. Never had this prob before, some kind of small crazy ant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
I found something similar in our mailbox!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Rasberry crazy ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another invasive pest. They love electrical and electronic devices for some reason. They've messed up a bunch of stuff at my work.

Looks like they're here to stay.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
My yard was infested with ants when I bought the place. But, I've since dispatched them.

Inside the house, we had big black ants in the master bath and one of the bedrooms on the other side. I wiped them out with Terro ant baits. Haven't seen any since and this was back in November/December.

We had some roaches and palmetto bugs in the house and that forced me to call a pest control company. I know I could have handled it myself but I was overridden by the wife. So, I started out having them come out every month and then after the first 2 months switched it to bi-monthly.

They come out and spray the outside perimeter of the house, around the outside of the pool screen, the eaves, around doors/windows, etc. Inside they have monitoring stations under the sinks in all 4 bathrooms as well as the kitchen. There hasn't been any activity on the monitoring stations in 6 months. They also do spot-application of gel bait on the sides of the drawer slides in the kitchen as well as inside the cabinets up above the door. But we haven't found any dead bugs in many months nor has the bait been disturbed. They just remove the old bait and refresh it with new.

It only costs me like $30 to have them come out. It's cheap insurance. We've not seen a bug inside the house for over 6 months. Plus, I just had family visiting for two weeks and they actually were surprised we didn't have bugs because they thought everyone had bugs in Florida.

My new neighbors are dealing with being overrun with ants. I think they are finally going to break down and have someone come out.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Yes, I've been seeing them everywhere in my house, along with cockroaches.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-24-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM

552 posts, read 720,546 times
I had the black bull ants in my garage and they were crawling in and around the irrigation controls and actually turned my sprinklers on.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
wow - that's pretty bad...our community has had a lot outside on the lawns, but haven't heard of anything inside.....I dealt with a smaller issue in the kitchen when I think a bad bag of rice that I picked from from a discount grocery store had ants in them, and once inside, they took over. I finally got rid of them.

good luck w/ your problem....looks very bad

Old 08-24-2013, 12:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Ants usually come inside for one or both of two "main" reasons:

1) When it rains a ton outside and everything is soaked, they come inside as it is a safer area for them.

2) When a house is not clean and free of debris (crumbs, food, etc) that they enjoy. Free food for them.

So the best advice is to keep the house cleaner and hope you stop getting so much rain, so the ants will decide to stop coming in. The ones already inside will need to be killed.

We have no ant issues at all, as we keep everything very clean and the perimeter of the house sprayed. Never really see any ants around the yard anyhow.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 16,373 times
We have had some ants, and I called a pest guy. Great guy and he referred me to Do it Yourself pest control. You can go there and buy the same pesticides the professionals use. It cost me $11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay