Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in eating at a soul food restaurant?
Yes 15 71.43%
No 6 28.57%
Maybe- (please explain deciding factors in comments) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is very close to opening a small "hole in the wall" restaurant in Clearwater. His main focus is on soul food/true Southern food...we're talking collard greens, ox tails, sweetwater cornbread, catfish, barbeque, etc. His food is amazing and hes a good ol country boy raised in SC, so he does have all of Grandmaw's recipes to fall back on.

My question is....do you think a business like this would survive in this area given the demographic?..and would YOU personally give an establishment serving "stick to your ribs" comfort food a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Man, that sounds good! What's the possible location?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I'd travel for good soul/southern food.

Is there going to be country ham, fried chicken, red eye gravy and grits?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
I am always looking for good Catfish and Fried Chicken. Please keep us posted where it is going to open up.

You post where and when it is open and I will get down there to eat the very first week, that's a Promise!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
People like to eat good food, i doubt he will have any problem with clientele in Clearwater as long as the location is right and he markets his product aggressively so every one knows he's there.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
I'd come for the collards alone.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Glad to hear that it sounds like the interest is around for his specialty!! At least we can count on 5 people coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Man, that sounds good! What's the possible location?
Hes mainly scouting South Clearwater, kind of near downtown (off Alt 19) since its cheaper over there and he lives in Largo...but he has been talking about maybe North Largo if a location seems right. Hes found a few potentials but nothing guaranteed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I'd travel for good soul/southern food.

Is there going to be country ham, fried chicken, red eye gravy and grits?
Most definitely fried chicken and I know fried grits...Ill have to mention the red eye gravy- I know he makes a to die for chocolate gravy with biscuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I am always looking for good Catfish and Fried Chicken. Please keep us posted where it is going to open up.

You post where and when it is open and I will get down there to eat the very first week, that's a Promise!
Ill hold you to that promise Ill definitely keep everyone here posted...hes estimating a 5-9 month wait until opening day, with licensing and all that fun stuff...so its not too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I'd come for the collards alone.
I know, right! and I can vouch that they are done the right way...simmered allllllllll day in their little ham bath concoction lol He made it a point to teach me the right way to make collard greens to compare to others you eat and well his way just makes them melt in your mouth...and I never even liked collard greens

Old 10-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I know, right! and I can vouch that they are done the right way...simmered allllllllll day in their little ham bath concoction lol He made it a point to teach me the right way to make collard greens to compare to others you eat and well his way just makes them melt in your mouth...and I never even liked collard greens
I LOVE collards, and just the other day I was noticing how rare it is to find them in restaurants, even BBQ places where you'd think they'd be. The only place I know off hand that serves collards is Hank's which is a catfish and BBQ place on Dale Mabry just north of Waters Ave. Lee Roy Selmon's also has nice greens on the menu, but theirs have cabbage in the greens, which is much tastier than I imagined, but sometimes I just want the old traditional without making a big batch myself. I like to have them with blackeyed peas or pinto beans, and savory cornbread with jalapeno. Oh, yeh!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I LOVE collards, and just the other day I was noticing how rare it is to find them in restaurants, even BBQ places where you'd think they'd be. The only place I know off hand that serves collards is Hank's which is a catfish and BBQ place on Dale Mabry just north of Waters Ave. Lee Roy Selmon's also has nice greens on the menu, but theirs have cabbage in the greens, which is much tastier than I imagined, but sometimes I just want the old traditional without making a big batch myself. I like to have them with blackeyed peas or pinto beans, and savory cornbread with jalapeno. Oh, yeh!
Mmmm Im hungry now, thankyou! Youre so right though! It is really hard to find them in restaurants and when you do, theyre not very tasty. Ive had them at Hanks- (I love the pig face and butt for the entrance and exit and that their menu says "not sweet" tea lol)..they werent too bad there but still werent amazing. Ive never tried Lee Roy Selmon's with cabbage?! Interesting addition.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Re: the greens at Selmon's - the cabbage is very tender and not stinky at all, the collards are more chewy, and the pot liquor at the bottom of the dish is divine! You should try them! With some baby backs, yum. You are right about the collards at Hank's, they aren't particularly awesome. But I still order them every time, because I love collards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay