Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from PA to Tampa to take a job at the VA Hospital and was looking for some advice regarding areas to live and cost of living. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
I moved down from PA last year. This past Wednesday marks one year for me. In terms of where to live - it depends what you are looking for. Are you single/married? Have kids? Want to buy/rent? Any specific needs/wants?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,993,691 times
VA hospitals are terrible places. Pick a private hospital to work at.

We need more information about your situation to provide an adequate living suggestions.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
That's a pretty broad stereotype about VA hospitals since there are over 1700 of them. I've trained at and had a family member cared at by a couple of them and the care that I witnessed was as good as the civilian hospitals that I've worked.

As for the OP, there are a couple of VA Hospitals in our area. Which one are you going to work for? If the VA Haley, there are several areas around USF that you'd probably want to consider. Again, do you have children, other interests or other criteria for housing?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,951 times
Congratulations! I can think of nothing more honorable than taking care of our Nations Veterans. Ignore the people that just don't understand that. I get all of my medical care there and have nothing but very good things to say about the place.

You working at James Haley or Bay Pines. You had mentioned Tampa so I assume James Haley. Right up Bruce B Downs you run into New Tampa. It is the 33647 Zip Code and a very nice place to live. A little further North is Wesley Chapel, West of that is Land O Lakes and Lutz. All easy commutes and nice areas. As you get into Wesley Chapel and Land O Lakes, it has a more rural feel. You even get that in part of Lutz, but not all.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,993,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's a pretty broad stereotype about VA hospitals since there are over 1700 of them. I've trained at and had a family member cared at by a couple of them and the care that I witnessed was as good as the civilian hospitals that I've worked.
Yeah, VA hospitals are great if you like pills pushed on you.

VA = government
Government = in bed with Big Pharm

Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,608 times
I am single and plan to rent for a while until I get acclimated to the area. James Haley is also the place I will be working. I am looking forward to a change of scenery and climate and am excited. I have done some research about the Tampa area (never been there though) but am also looking for input from people who live in the area. I have friends that live in Winter Park and Pilot Country Estates. I will be working in the ER, which is different from community hospital ERs, so I know what I am getting into and am ok with that.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhugPARN View Post
I am looking forward to a change of scenery and climate and am excited. I have done some research about the Tampa area (never been there though) but am also looking for input from people who live in the area.
Welcome to the area soon.

We moved her last year, but were already extremely familiar with the area. Here is our take on things (We live in Palm Harbor, which is just northwest of Tampa).

We absolutely love the climate here. This past summer was the best we have ever experienced. A very steady 90 degrees +/- 2 degrees for the most part. No extremes. Awesome almost daily thunderstorms. Very comfortable with the almost constant seabreeze. The best Spring and Fall imaginable. Winters very good, outside of a dozen or so cold days.

Tons to do here. People are out and about all year long, walking, biking, beaching etc. Many great parks to visit. A tremendous restaurant variety to choose from. If you like food, this is the place for that.

Drivers here are crazy. Outside of NY/NJ, I have never seen such insane driving. Traffic much worse toward the cities and far better in most of the 'burbs.

Hosuing market has really taken off over the last couple of years. Investors bought up a lot of homes, helping the market recover. Now that prices have risen, investors are slowing the pace of their buying. However this has now allowed regular buyers and sellers to start doing their thing. Getting closer and closer to a balanced market. Banks still holding many distressed homes, so that should help keep a lid on prices to some degree.

Economy has really picked up here. More and more companies are moving here or expanding here. The RNC really highlighted how many great things are here and people have taken notice. Pay is more, less, or the same as other places, depending on where those other places are and what field. We have greatly benefited from the economy stucture here. We moved from NC and our auto and home insurance are more, but are greatly over compensated for by not paying income tax. Our property taxes are relatively close.

We have lived all over the country, coast to coast, and this is without a doubt the best place we have ever lived. Of course everyone is different and so are their experiences.

I hope you enjoy it here as well.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Yeah, VA hospitals are great if you like pills pushed on you.

VA = government
Government = in bed with Big Pharm
You think the vets would get a better deal from Private hospitals and insurance companies?

To the op move as close to your VA hospital as you can as commuting can be a pain in the butt.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Are you a veteran? Have you ever experienced medical care at a VA facility?

Quote:

We need more information about your situation to provide an adequate living suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay