Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
You're complaining about maps dated 2008 (when I'd already noted their date)--as if those holes have moved since then--and then you quote a 2009 bogus article from Telegraph? Good luck convincing anyone with that.

Here's the working link which is also in my previous post on types of sinkholes in the area.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/publications/sinkholetype2.pdf

As to the "illustrious expert" in your cited article, here's the background on that idiot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Axel_M%C3%B6rner
Mörner has written a number of works claiming to provide theoretical support for dowsing. [2] He was elected "Deceiver of the year"
Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
Quote:
You're complaining about maps dated 2008 (when I'd already noted their date)--as if those holes have moved since then
Not complaining at all. I apologize if you took it that way. I have seen those maps for a year now. I just wish I could find an accurate map which has all the sinkholes, including the last 5 years.....especially if it could be zeroed in. I appreciate you posting what you did though. I certainly did not mean to make you think otherwise.

Regarding sea levels, there are tons of sources and articles on both sides. I don't buy into any hype from either side. I just look at things logically. The climate changes day to day, year to year, century to century, etc. Always has, always will. There is a ton of money being made off of hype. In the 1970's the hype was we were headed into another ice age. Then Al Gore convinces some that we are about to burn up. Some people talk about ice melting in one part of the world, but never mention record ice formation in other parts of the world. All the doomsday crap from both sides never held true to predicted date.

Blaming mankind for everything is in fashion today. It's just over the top. The planet when through all kinds of climate changes....EXTREME ones....without man on the planet. Seas will rise, seas will fall, temps will rise, temps will fall. Mankind won't change that. Now I am half tree hugger, so I am all about clean air and many other things.....I am just not ridiculous about it.

I wouldn't purchase right near the water for the simple fact that surge can happen and all it takes is one time. I prefer to have a little buffer.

Regarding sinkholes, we did our research on those also. One of the many reasons we targeted where we did was because we were looking for the least likely areas for sinkholes in this area. The East Lake corridor is void of them according to the info available. That's all we had to go by, but I can't believe it is totally accurate. That is why I wish there was an easy access, up to date, targeted source available.

I want to thank you for your posts. This one and many others. I never had the intention to make it seem like I was complaining about it. Maybe I am having a rough night. Meds kicking in a little quicker. My apologies.

There may be lots of typos in this post, as I feel like I am about to pass out. Sorry.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Not complaining at all. I apologize if you took it that way. I have seen those maps for a year now. I just wish I could find an accurate map which has all the sinkholes, including the last 5 years.....especially if it could be zeroed in. I appreciate you posting what you did though. I certainly did not mean to make you think otherwise.

Regarding sea levels, there are tons of sources and articles on both sides. I don't buy into any hype from either side. I just look at things logically. The climate changes day to day, year to year, century to century, etc. Always has, always will. There is a ton of money being made off of hype. In the 1970's the hype was we were headed into another ice age. Then Al Gore convinces some that we are about to burn up. Some people talk about ice melting in one part of the world, but never mention record ice formation in other parts of the world. All the doomsday crap from both sides never held true to predicted date.

Blaming mankind for everything is in fashion today. It's just over the top. The planet when through all kinds of climate changes....EXTREME ones....without man on the planet. Seas will rise, seas will fall, temps will rise, temps will fall. Mankind won't change that. Now I am half tree hugger, so I am all about clean air and many other things.....I am just not ridiculous about it.

I wouldn't purchase right near the water for the simple fact that surge can happen and all it takes is one time. I prefer to have a little buffer.

Regarding sinkholes, we did our research on those also. One of the many reasons we targeted where we did was because we were looking for the least likely areas for sinkholes in this area. The East Lake corridor is void of them according to the info available. That's all we had to go by, but I can't believe it is totally accurate. That is why I wish there was an easy access, up to date, targeted source available.

I want to thank you for your posts. This one and many others. I never had the intention to make it seem like I was complaining about it. Maybe I am having a rough night. Meds kicking in a little quicker. My apologies.

There may be lots of typos in this post, as I feel like I am about to pass out. Sorry.
I appreciate your clarification. Thank you. I don't know but I would imagine those types of maps might be issued not annually but maybe every five years or so? Just like they don't take census every year yet the info we have gives us a reasonable picture of an area. I did not see such notice on that website, however. But even if you know a neighboring house might have a sinkhole, that tells you nothing about whether one will for certain open up under your house. Though there are some that open up more gradually (areas show in yellow on the other map), mostly sinkholes are catastrophic and immediate. Likely, most of the testing people did for them was nonsense and now of course we have insurance issues because of all the scamming. Mostly sinkholes don't show up as settlement cracks; they show up as half your house missing.

So what the maps show are areas where there might be issues. As we have so much data already, likely the more recent sinkholes also occurred in those areas. But again, a daily update wouldn't tell us much more than we already know. It would be like looking at a map of everywhere a hurricane has crossed and thinking that will tell you where the next one will hit. It won't.

Regarding sea levels rising, there is not data on both sides, there is only data showing the seas rising. We know this. Measurements are irrefutable. And I posted for you the NOAA data. Here it is again. Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents

The only question now is how much will it rise and that we don't know. The most conservative figures I've seen are 12 to 18 inches but even that presents huge problems because coastal areas simply were not built for that. Beyond that and we're looking at massive population relocations so the studies being done, these so-called wastes of money, are super important. Saying that's a waste is like saying it's a waste to spend money sending planes into hurricanes so we can monitor those and prepare our citizens.

I guess you get some kind of kick out of it but denying science for your own political agenda to me is just silly on an individual scale. On a societal scale, of course, it's possibly dangerous and certainly irresponsible.

You are completely wrong to say that humans do not effect the temperature of the planet and I can illustrate that for you easily, not just by showing trends (not merely fluctuations) since the industrial revolution, but very easily with studies done at 9/11 when the planes stopped flying. Results could not be more clear than when the contrails went missing and the temperature changed.

Jet Contrails Alter Average Daily Temperature Range

You can even see this locally for yourself. Check out the differences in temperatures on wunderground, especially this winter, in areas that are more rural as opposed to areas with lots of buildings and asphalt. By our building we actually create micro climates such that one part of town might be cooler than other, simply by our construction. And that pales compared to what we do to our air.

We do affect weather on this planet. We know this.

Can humans affect global climate?
"Without doubt the most significant of all the human causes of changing climate is the dramatic increase in CO2. After remaining relatively steady for the last 650,000 years or more, in just the last two hundred years the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has suddenly shot up from 280, to more than 380 parts per million. And it’s still rising. This dramatic 30% increase has all taken place at the same time as humans have been burning fossil fuels at a greater and greater rate.

Of course there are also natural sources of the CO2 in the atmosphere, such as vegetation, but fortunately there are differences that scientists can measure between the CO2 derived from fossil fuels and the CO2 derived from plants. The changing concentrations of the two types demonstrate that the additional CO2 can only be the result of human activity"

As to your lack of sinkholes around Tarpon Lake, just like the Gulfport and other areas, I haven't seen subsurface reports, but it could very well be that bedrock (what passes for bedrock in Florida) comes closer to the surface there? Just a guess. I've seen areas of south Florida, Highland Beach, for instance, where the rock comes right up to the surface.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
I appreciate your clarification. Thank you. I don't know but I would imagine those types of maps might be issued not annually but maybe every five years or so? Just like they don't take census every year yet the info we have gives us a reasonable picture of an area. I did not see such notice on that website, however. But even if you know a neighboring house might have a sinkhole, that tells you nothing about whether one will for certain open up under your house. Though there are some that open up more gradually (areas show in yellow on the other map), mostly sinkholes are catastrophic and immediate. Likely, most of the testing people did for them was nonsense and now of course we have insurance issues because of all the scamming. Mostly sinkholes don't show up as settlement cracks; they show up as half your house missing.

So what the maps show are areas where there might be issues. As we have so much data already, likely the more recent sinkholes also occurred in those areas. But again, a daily update wouldn't tell us much more than we already know. It would be like looking at a map of everywhere a hurricane has crossed and thinking that will tell you where the next one will hit. It won't.

Regarding sea levels rising, there is not data on both sides, there is only data showing the seas rising. We know this. Measurements are irrefutable. And I posted for you the NOAA data. Here it is again. Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents

The only question now is how much will it rise and that we don't know. The most conservative figures I've seen are 12 to 18 inches but even that presents huge problems because coastal areas simply were not built for that. Beyond that and we're looking at massive population relocations so the studies being done, these so-called wastes of money, are super important. Saying that's a waste is like saying it's a waste to spend money sending planes into hurricanes so we can monitor those and prepare our citizens.

I guess you get some kind of kick out of it but denying science for your own political agenda to me is just silly on an individual scale. On a societal scale, of course, it's possibly dangerous and certainly irresponsible.

You are completely wrong to say that humans do not effect the temperature of the planet and I can illustrate that for you easily, not just by showing trends (not merely fluctuations) since the industrial revolution, but very easily with studies done at 9/11 when the planes stopped flying. Results could not be more clear than when the contrails went missing and the temperature changed.

Jet Contrails Alter Average Daily Temperature Range

You can even see this locally for yourself. Check out the differences in temperatures on wunderground, especially this winter, in areas that are more rural as opposed to areas with lots of buildings and asphalt. By our building we actually create micro climates such that one part of town might be cooler than other, simply by our construction. And that pales compared to what we do to our air.

We do affect weather on this planet. We know this.

Can humans affect global climate?
"Without doubt the most significant of all the human causes of changing climate is the dramatic increase in CO2. After remaining relatively steady for the last 650,000 years or more, in just the last two hundred years the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has suddenly shot up from 280, to more than 380 parts per million. And it’s still rising. This dramatic 30% increase has all taken place at the same time as humans have been burning fossil fuels at a greater and greater rate.

Of course there are also natural sources of the CO2 in the atmosphere, such as vegetation, but fortunately there are differences that scientists can measure between the CO2 derived from fossil fuels and the CO2 derived from plants. The changing concentrations of the two types demonstrate that the additional CO2 can only be the result of human activity"

As to your lack of sinkholes around Tarpon Lake, just like the Gulfport and other areas, I haven't seen subsurface reports, but it could very well be that bedrock (what passes for bedrock in Florida) comes closer to the surface there? Just a guess. I've seen areas of south Florida, Highland Beach, for instance, where the rock comes right up to the surface.
The MCGW thing is nothing more than a cult religion. It has been proven over and over, but I am not here to convince you of that. Believe what you want to. I have no political agenda, as I thing both sides are whacked. I just deal in reality and the reality is that the planet has always changed.....before man was even here and will continue to. Personally I would not buy right in the water, as it is more of a risk during a storm. I also would avoid certain areas due to much higher than average sinkhole issues.

With the data you have found, have you discovered why the area just to the east of Lake Tarpon has no noticeable sinkhole activity on the maps? Is there a geological reason why or is it simply luck or are the maps just flat out wrong? With all the homes and businesses here, I would think there would be some sinkhole activity documented. I find it very odd, but happy I live there.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,908 times
Quote:
The MCGW thing is nothing more than a cult religion. It has been proven over and over, but I am not here to convince you of that. Believe what you want to. I have no political agenda, as I thing both sides are whacked. I just deal in reality and the reality is that the planet has always changed.....before man was even here and will continue to. Personally I would not buy right in the water, as it is more of a risk during a storm. I also would avoid certain areas due to much higher than average sinkhole issues.

With the data you have found, have you discovered why the area just to the east of Lake Tarpon has no noticeable sinkhole activity on the maps? Is there a geological reason why or is it simply luck or are the maps just flat out wrong? With all the homes and businesses here, I would think there would be some sinkhole activity documented. I find it very odd, but happy I live there.
Science is not a cult.

You are being disingenuous to say you have no political agenda while blaming issues of global warming on Al Gore. You might think you are being funny but your liberal bashing is tacky.

As I reported in the previous post, I don't know for certain why an area might not have sinkholes. I speculated subsurface characteristics, possibly limestone location or thickness but I do not have info on that particularly.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Science is not a cult.

You are being disingenuous to say you have no political agenda while blaming issues of global warming on Al Gore. You might think you are being funny but your liberal bashing is tacky.

As I reported in the previous post, I don't know for certain why an area might not have sinkholes. I speculated subsurface characteristics, possibly limestone location or thickness but I do not have info on that particularly.
Liberal bashing? You need to research my previous posts and then try to explain my very liberal positions on so many issues, if I am a liberal basher. I simply didn't believe the man made global cooling ice age talk of the 1970's and I don't believe the man made global warming talk of today, especially from Al Gore who made millions off of it. I believe in facts only and the facts are that the planet always changed temperature and sea levels before mankind was even here, continues to do so now and will continue to do so after we are gone. And I can find scientists on both sides of the argument.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,220,428 times
The normal operating temperature of a catalytic converter is 1500 degrees F. That's a lot of heat pounding down on and reflecting off black asphalt.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Liberal bashing? You need to research my previous posts and then try to explain my very liberal positions on so many issues, if I am a liberal basher. I simply didn't believe the man made global cooling ice age talk of the 1970's and I don't believe the man made global warming talk of today, especially from Al Gore who made millions off of it. I believe in facts only and the facts are that the planet always changed temperature and sea levels before mankind was even here, continues to do so now and will continue to do so after we are gone. And I can find scientists on both sides of the argument.

I couldn't rep your post!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

I couldn't rep your post!
Because I am so awesome that you already rep'd couldn't repeat rep or because you didn't want to?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The normal operating temperature of a catalytic converter is 1500 degrees F. That's a lot of heat pounding down on and reflecting off black asphalt.
A non man made, all natural, lightning bolt striking that same concrete can reach 50,000 degrees.

USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay