Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What is the problem with texting anyway? I dont do it, but isn't it a quiet solitary procedure?
Some people have their phones set to work silently when texting. Others don't. Some will get an audible notification as each text is received, and beyond that - what would be even more annoying in a theater - is that some people's phones beep with every screen/button press. So if someone is texting away - constant beeps.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
Memorial service Saturday for man shot at theater

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
This country is getting so it does not tolerate a glance from a stranger or a noise from a child playing.
Huge generalization about 330 million people based on a single incident.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Huge generalization about 330 million people based on a single incident.
I am not basing it on a single incident. Basing it on experiences from my travels, news stories and what others have said on threads like this one. I have a few friends in Thailand, Germany, Amsterdam, UK, Australia & Tasmania and when they read news stories from this country they are shocked and horrified by the intolerance.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
If FL is no place for children or those who choose not to carry a weapon?

Do you all realize that EVERY STATE allows the issue of concealed weapons permits? Illinois was the last to pass the law this year.

That means millions of people are carrying a firearm everyday. Do you see news reports of these people shooting or killing other people for little or no reason? Of course not.

Open just about any newspaper from any city in the US and you are very likely to find news regarding a unlicensed firearm carrier (CRIMINAL) shooting or killing someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldp0ae View Post
But that's a given just by virtue of being in Florida. It's no place for either of those two groups of people.

I don;t know that this guy will go free, but I suspect his training caused him not think. Much like an athlete who has honed a swing over decades, when the situation calls for it, you'll hit the ball..

This is a wake up call for police and highly trained armed persons- your normal situations in which you are trained to react may not serve you once you aren't perusing the bad guys.

This country is armed to the teeth in citizenry and law enforcement so we have created the very best trained killers in the world. When they react there is little chance of someone surviving.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Fact: Thailand has the highest gun ownership rate in all of Asia with 15.6 guns per 100 people.

Fact: A total of 5.4 million legal weapons are registered with private owners in Germany.

Fact: The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in the Netherlands is 510,000

Fact: The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in the United Kingdom is 4,060,000

There may be less use of deadly force in those countries and much less crime in those countries
but guns are everywhere.

Quote:
I am not basing it on a single incident. Basing it on experiences from my travels, news stories and what others have said on threads like this one. I have a few friends in Thailand, Germany, Amsterdam, UK, Australia & Tasmania and when they read news stories from this country they are shocked and horrified by the intolerance.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM

You answered my question about texting noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Some people have their phones set to work silently when texting. Others don't. Some will get an audible notification as each text is received, and beyond that - what would be even more annoying in a theater - is that some people's phones beep with every screen/button press. So if someone is texting away - constant beeps.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM

I am sick of people who do not care about the rights of others to enjoy a meal without listening to their child screaming, I am sick of those who feel it is fine to chatter and talk during a movie, I am sick of people violating my right to walk down the street without being robbed. I am sick of people who car jack other people.

Should deadly force be used against all these offenders, except for the criminals committing crime, NO.

Should people be more aware of the rights of others? YES.

\\
Quote:
This country is getting so it does not tolerate a glance from a stranger or a noise from a child playing. If you want piece and quiet, stay at home. The movie theatre is so noisy that my 4 year old wears ear defenders. It is not a place for solitude and quiet. I am so sick of people being so intolerant and feeling the need to inflict their judgement on to others. Arguing that someone deserved to be shot in a movie theatre for texting is the most ridiculous thing ever. I hope all of you that justify this shooting have really quiet, polite family members and friends so you dont have to worry about them being killed while out among strangers.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You are saying anything can be construed as deadly force therefore you have the right to respond with deadly force. If somebody at some point got killed with a paper clip in a freak accident then if you get into an argument with a person with a paper clip off they go, thats insane, you wonder why "responsible gun owners" get branded as having rambo complexes, you trying to classify punching as a deadly assault, you have any idea how many people get punched in a day and out of those how many deaths by punching actually happen. During my time in the military I worked as a bouncer I gotten punched and punched a lot the thought of dying by a sucker punch never crossed my mind, the other gun enthusiast on this board is talking about slicing peoples throats. When was the last recorded death by assault case that happened in a movie theater, I really have a hard time wrapping my head around how you can get into a mindset that when you get into an argument with someone and that person makes a move you first thought is "he is going to kill me".

that is the law, IF tell you off- and I get your evil eye-- and you come at me- and now Im shaking in my boots.. bamb-- your fault thta is the essence of the law.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 AM

First of all, I am not a "gun enthusiast". I am a legal gun owner. Deadly force is only necessary when you are in fear of your continued life or need to stop an assault upon yourself, a relative or loved one.

By being a bouncer, you can expect various forms of attack. If someone pulled a knife on you while doing your job and came forward to you with the obvious intent to stab you do you just laugh it off?

My throat slicing comment was a scenario where someone took steps to kill someone in retaliation for something else, not in a self defense situation.

Oh, about that "certain kind of person"

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...xmonthold-son/

http://www.krqe.com/news/crime/man-c...empted-robbery

http://www.peoplespost.co.za/article...aspx?id=100288

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a3c_1358482157

http://www.news9.com/story/23887779/...-okc-apartment

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/28019340.cms

There are THOUSANDS more......
l
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You are saying anything can be construed as deadly force therefore you have the right to respond with deadly force. If somebody at some point got killed with a paper clip in a freak accident then if you get into an argument with a person with a paper clip off they go, thats insane, you wonder why "responsible gun owners" get branded as having rambo complexes, you trying to classify punching as a deadly assault, you have any idea how many people get punched in a day and out of those how many deaths by punching actually happen. During my time in the military I worked as a bouncer I gotten punched and punched a lot the thought of dying by a sucker punch never crossed my mind, the other gun enthusiast on this board is talking about slicing peoples throats. When was the last recorded death by assault case that happened in a movie theater, I really have a hard time wrapping my head around how you can get into a mindset that when you get into an argument with someone and that person makes a move you first thought is "he is going to kill me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay