Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM

173 posts, read 449,315 times

Advertisements

For an in-town move, I wanting some moving help. I don't want to be a target for thieves. It will take two 26' moving trucks to move. I got some quotes from local movers. They did a in house detailed inventory. They are estimating 4 men and 6 hours to load, 4 men and 3 hours to unload. 45 minutes to travel between to two houses. I think the hours estimate is reasonable, 40 total man hours, plus the truck.

I can get a moving truck plus diesel, hand trucks, furniture pads, mileage, etc. for $400 for 2 trucks for the day or 1 truck for two days, same price.

Do you think I can find skilled moving labor to load and unload only, for 40 man hours for $800?
The recommended companies are wanting twice that much, $2k with the two trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Might be able to post on craigslist to round some people up, although I'd question whether it's worth the savings. Last thing you need is an unlicensed contractor having a slip and fall while hauling your furniture around town. Or breaking something very valuable and having no insurance.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Default movers

You can find very reasonable rates and compare movers by going to the uhaul website and scrolling down to the bottom and moving help is there.

U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

I've used movers from there a few times and they did a great job.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest10 View Post
You can find very reasonable rates and compare movers by going to the uhaul website and scrolling down to the bottom and moving help is there.

U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

I've used movers from there a few times and they did a great job.

I 100% agree with this. My husband and I moved in February and we used help from moving help labor. Sure, we don't have nearly as much as you do - but the rate was great, very nice guys and very quick. We had a 17 foot truck for our stuff. It took 2 guys 3 1/2 hrs to load/unload. We went from a 2nd floor to 3rd, about 15 miles apart.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM

173 posts, read 449,315 times
Thanks, I will check it out.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 PM

185 posts, read 318,523 times
Yes! I just enlisted the help of the U Haul Moving labor service and they will be helping me unload when I get to St Pete!
2 movers 2 hours = $100 and they weren't even the cheapest. I went with the one that had the best reviews and this company had well over 200!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM

173 posts, read 391,398 times
I posted a Craigslist ad to get help when I moved. Confirmed three people to help with the move two days before the move... Two showed up. I was able to grab the next door neighbor to help.

Also, no one showed up on time, they all were 30 to 60 minutes late. And I should have specified... "I'm moving Rain or Shine."

Not ideal, but the job got done. You might want to overbook help if you go with Craigslist.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 AM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
When we moved from Dallas to Tampa, I used Local Movers - HireAHelper.com to get a crew both in Dallas and here locally. Two guys for two hours strictly for load and unload and it cost about $180 for each end with extra $50/hr each additional hr. Took three hrs to load in Dallas since they had to properly arrange inside the truck so things don't shift all over during the drive and the guy there did a great job. The Tampa crew unloaded everything in less than 2 hrs. The big cost was renting the 22 ft truck and gas but the whole move probably ended up costing us 1/4-1/5 of what a full service move would charge. We already padded and shrink wrapped everything so it ends up just them having to stack and load/unload on either end. I didn't get the cheapest quote from there either but went with reviews. They were on time and was professional although the one guy that showed up on the Tampa side was a bit scrawny in size. He worked hard but struggled with the larger items.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULAW2015 View Post
For an in-town move, I wanting some moving help. I don't want to be a target for thieves. It will take two 26' moving trucks to move. I got some quotes from local movers. They did a in house detailed inventory. They are estimating 4 men and 6 hours to load, 4 men and 3 hours to unload. 45 minutes to travel between to two houses. I think the hours estimate is reasonable, 40 total man hours, plus the truck.

I can get a moving truck plus diesel, hand trucks, furniture pads, mileage, etc. for $400 for 2 trucks for the day or 1 truck for two days, same price.

Do you think I can find skilled moving labor to load and unload only, for 40 man hours for $800?
The recommended companies are wanting twice that much, $2k with the two trucks.
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. 4 guys doing hard work for 10 hours for $1600. That's only $400 per guy for 10 hour workday.

You could probably rent a couple of drunks off craigslist for what your wanting to spend, but your results may not be what you want or expect.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,773 times
The best places to go for that kind of service would be hireahelper.com, moverscorp.com, or hardbodyhaulers.com. The Uhaul people are ok but for 40 hours you are going to pay way more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay