Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It is amazing how just taking shade under a tree can give you so much relief from the heat...
Oh yes. It feels much cooler. When I say I enjoy being outside a lot, I do not mean in direct sunlight all the time. I like to alternate. I honestly don't know how roofers do it all day. They are doing a roof down the street. God bless them.

This is why we picked a heavily treed neighborhood and lot. We also made sure the house orientation was correct with the sun. When measuring the temperature outside, meteorologists measure it in the shade. If they measured it in the sun, it would be quite hotter. I like summertime temps in the 80's to low 90's in the shade and with a breeze. Here I can bank on 90 +/- 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 AM

464 posts, read 645,585 times
So far, I'm fine sitting on my screened porch which has 2 ceiling fans. Though lately I've gone from one fan on low, to two fans on medium

Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Agree. If someone has an office job and is inside either a car or an air conditioned building most of the time, the differences in CT summers vs. Florida could seem insignificant. The differences are mostly noticeable to those trying to exert themselves outside during the main heat of the day.
Since I'm moving down there next summer, I'm 'practicing' and trying to build my tolerance to the heat. We did have an unusally humid day here the other day and being that I live on the second floor, the heat was building so I threw some ceiling fans on and it was great. Now we're back to a high of 50's today, lovely.

But I do agree with your post if one is in ac all the time.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Right now weather.com has the temperature at only 88 degrees in St. Petersburg, with a dewpoint of 75. But it shows a "feels like" temperature of 98! How can that be? The "feels like" temperature should always be about 5 degrees lower than the actual temp, shouldn't it?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Right now weather.com has the temperature at only 88 degrees in St. Petersburg, with a dewpoint of 75. But it shows a "feels like" temperature of 98! How can that be? The "feels like" temperature should always be about 5 degrees lower than the actual temp, shouldn't it?
I never go by that feels like temp crap. Some lucky SOB's got some rain just south of my area. And before piruslover says it was caused by a seabreeze, there was no seabreeze today. We have had a strong east wind not allowing for any westcoast sezbreee.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
I am also confused by the weather here today. Around 4pm it said my area was 91*, however when I went outside it was perfectly cool. It was very overcast, and somewhat humid, but no where near feeling like 91.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
I am also confused by the weather here today. Around 4pm it said my area was 91*, however when I went outside it was perfectly cool. It was very overcast, and somewhat humid, but no where near feeling like 91.
Whenever we have a strong east wind it feels much better, hotter, but not that crappy soupy feeling when we have a west wind blowing off of 80+ degree gulf water.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
It was 92 at our house today on a very strong easterly wind. While we did not have that nice gulf coast seabreeze to keep the temp down, the easterly breeze was like a freaking wind tunnel and that was enough to make it feel cooler to me. That feels like junk they use on TV is rubbish if you ask me. Feels like is different for everyone. It was perfectly comfortable for us today and getting excited as the feel of storms building is in the air. We have a tropical wave moving in from the southeast and a strong cold front moving in from the west. If the clash happens in the right location, we could be in for a good time. We shall see.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
It was 92 at our house today on a very strong easterly wind. While we did not have that nice gulf coast seabreeze to keep the temp down, the easterly breeze was like a freaking wind tunnel and that was enough to make it feel cooler to me. That feels like junk they use on TV is rubbish if you ask me. Feels like is different for everyone. It was perfectly comfortable for us today and getting excited as the feel of storms building is in the air. We have a tropical wave moving in from the southeast and a strong cold front moving in from the west. If the clash happens in the right location, we could be in for a good time. We shall see.
I did come across this site today:
Heat Index Calculation

When I entered the temparature of 88 with a dewpoint of 75 ( St. Pete weather conditions today), it returned a heat index of 98, just like weather.com said. Play with it a little, it's fun!

Here is the formula they use, it's way above my head
Heat Index Equation
Attached Thumbnails
Humidity-index-calculator.gif  

Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I did come across this site today:
Heat Index Calculation

When I entered the temparature of 88 with a dewpoint of 75 ( St. Pete weather conditions today), it returned a heat index of 98, just like weather.com said. Play with it a little, it's fun!

Here is the formula they use, it's way above my head
Heat Index Equation
St Pete almost always seems to have a higher dew point here. It is 2-5 degrees higher than where we live. I think it is St Pete's location with so much water around it.

Like I said upstream, I don't go by the feels like (heat index), as the combo feels different to different people. I just go by what I know I like with temp and dew point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay