Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquargirl View Post
On My To Tampa From California, Have A Job In The Channelside Area, Need Apartment In Safe Area Close To Work, Moderate $$. Where Might That Be?
Davis Island or Harbor Island, Definately!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 PM

69 posts, read 283,383 times
Hey Larlan13 or (anybody else) I've been looking at the Spring Hill area for a while to move my family to, what can you tell me about it, how long to the beach, how far to downtown tampa, or the closest shopping,mall,etc...

Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM

35 posts, read 101,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
We moved to Temple Terrace (by the river and golf course) and were very safe and happy. It is 15 minutes to Channelside and you can rent a 3/2 house for around $1200.
TT is nice as long as you're within the square confines of Fowler, 56th, and TT Parkway. If you can afford to live near the river or golf course, its worth it. Absolutely beautiful. You're just surrounded by the hood, like everything else in Tampa.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
TT is nice as long as you're within the square confines of Fowler, 56th, and TT Parkway. If you can afford to live near the river or golf course, its worth it. Absolutely beautiful. You're just surrounded by the hood, like everything else in Tampa.

Actually Fowler, 56th and the river. The best area was my old neighborhood south of TT Parkway!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
If money is no problem, then you'd want to be in Harbour Island or Davis Islands. They are very nice areas, extremely safe. Channelside is becoming one of the most exclusive places to live and play(condos starting around 400k). Hyde Park and SOHO districts would also be my pick. Then Westshore area(Beach Park, Sunset Park), and then Bayshore Beautiful neighborhoods(along Bayshore, lots of nice condo towers)

Old 12-27-2006, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 34,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Have you been to Brandon lately? I've lived here most of my life and it's not what it used to be. When I was a kid, Brandon was full of normal families, low crime, and normal amounts of traffic. Since all of this South Tampa/Ybor/Downtown regentrification has been going on (along with the price gouging) people who previously lived in those run down areas are being forced out to surrounding areas. Like Brandon and Riverview. This area is now littered with Section 8 housing and all of the problems that come with it. The areas that were once nice have now become more dangerous. Cars being stolen are much more common. People being robbed and houses broken into have increased. Things are working out for the developers in those areas. The wealthy are getting this urban lifestyle that they never could have before. Meanwhile us regular working class get all of the runoff. Brandon Mall was at one time one of the best/safest/cleanest malls in Florida. Now its like Newark after dark. People being mugged in the parking lot, cars broken into, theft increases in the mall itself, etc.

Again, Tampa is a great place if you have money and you can build a wall around you're world. But if you're a young professional/student like me, you'll be living with the bottom dwellers. Thats why when our lease is up in May, my girlfriend and I are heading out West.

My advice, stay in Boston. The palm trees aren't worth it. But thats just my opinion.
Scanner,
You sound very angry toward the sec.8 holders in your area, as if you think that these people inparticular are the people vandalizing the area. How ignorant can you get? I am from Ohio and will be relocating to the Tampa area in 08', via sec.8 certificate. I am a college grad, who returned to further my education and just want some place w/o snow to relocate to, and since Tampa is cheaper than So.Cal, Tampa it is. Anyways, you don;t seem to like the area in general and sound like a real cry baby. I hate to be the one to tell you this but crime in general is everywhere, Einstien even out west! Oh, by the way, we don't like crime or being robbed either, but if you drop your wallet, w/o I.D. then it's finders keepers! LOL

Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
There are a ton of new apartment buildings going up around the CostCo/Kohls area of Brandon, between Lumsden (causeway) and Bloomingdale. From that area, it would be very easy to hop on the crosstown and be at the Channelside area in about 10-15 mins at most. There is also a back way if you keep going west on Bloomingdale across 301 it turns into the Progress village area and then back to the port. Dh would take this route when the crosstown was being worked on and would have delays. There are also apartements on Kings, between Lumsden and Bloomingdale which would be satisfactory. The bus into Tampa also stops at the soccer/baseball parks close to the apartments on Kings. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 34,150 times
Smile Davis Islands!! Awsome and Large Places with Low rents!!

Check out Davis Islands- there are apartments as you come onto the island near the village of shops and restaurants- you can get a 1 bedroom for $500. and a 2 bedroom for $650 and up. Vary safe just stop by Yeoman's and ask Rick or Connie they live there and are super nice people- most people who hang out on the Island live there and all know one another and have for years, they are very easy to get to know and will welcome you with open arms. I love it there. It is only a 5 minute ride to Channelside. You can actually see the fireworks at night from Channelside from Seddon Channel on the Island and great views of downtown.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Default Wesley Chapel/New Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquargirl View Post
On My To Tampa From California, Have A Job In The Channelside Area, Need Apartment In Safe Area Close To Work, Moderate $$. Where Might That Be?

I know this is not anywhere close to work....but, it is SAFE.
If you want somewhere safe to live, especially being a single woman, that place would be New Tampa/Wesley Chapel.
It is a very family-oriented area...it reminds me of areas back in Orlando.
It is a newly developed area.
A lot of young and old families actually moved out to New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area and then they commute back to work (downtown Tampa) because they wanted a place that wasn't totally surrounded by the "bad" areas.

One thing about the Tampa area is that if you find a nice area to live at, it is usually surrounded by the "bad" or "unsafe" areas or is right next to one.
It sucks...but, what can you do??
Redevelopment.....it's all about Politics!

Orlando is heaven compared to Tampa.
The Northeastern states definitely know what they are doing....Long Island (Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, Syosset, etc.), Boston, Andover, Conneticut, etc..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
I vote Davis Islands too. If you don't mind older (but decently maintained) apartments, you can't beat Davis Islands and you can find competitively priced units. Safe area with restaurants & parks and obviously close to downtown/Channelside area. Some places on the island don't allow dogs, however. Cats seem to be ok. Bayshore & Hyde Park are nice too, you can find some decent priced units on craigslist. Palma Ceia is nice, but it alternates with not so hot areas, so beware the low priced areas in PC.

Wesley Chapel is nice, but if you have to work normal office hours, your commute will take forever (figure an hour or more, depending on your route). If you'll have a flexible schedule, then it could be a good alternative for you.

Another alternative, takes 30-40 minutes in rush hour, is Carrollwood. Also, consider NE St Pete near Gandy & 4th St. You can come into downtown via the Gandy bridge to the Crosstown, and you'll be against traffic. Both of these locations also have express bus service if you're into mass transit, although the Carrollwood coverage is thin.

I'm a SF myself, and those are the only areas I'd consider were I to move from where I am now (Land O Lakes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay