Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 8,820 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thank you in advance for your insights.

Interested in average commute times on the Veterans expressway from Lutz (Lutz Lake Fern) to Airport. Driving time would be around peak times: heading south @ 8:00am, heading north around 5:30pm.

Obviously the recent move to electronic tolls should help, as will eventual expansion. However, looking for what the commute has looked like historically.

Would do the drive myself to test out, but with school out I am afraid I won't get a good sample.

Again, thoughts and insights appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 PM

173 posts, read 449,432 times
30 minutes on a good day, 40 minutes on an average day, and 60+ on a bad day to TIA.
add five minutes back to Lutz.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 8,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULAW2015 View Post
30 minutes on a good day, 40 minutes on an average day, and 60+ on a bad day to TIA.
add five minutes back to Lutz.
Thanks for the feedback. Any other experiences?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedygecko View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any other experiences?
Yea, its ridiculous that this is a paid toll road for the amount of time you just sit in traffic. A waste of money IMO.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Every morning on my way to work I listen a traffic report and seems like Veterans is slow evey single day.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
I live off of lutz lake fern and travel to the airport (Right next to it anyways) daily. The veterans is a waste of time and money, especially with the construction now. I take local roads to get there and make it faster than when I try the expressway.

I am very hopeful that the expansion will help with the traffic

To note, I am on the expressway going north and looking at a parking lot on the southbound lanes at 7:48 AM.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
The real question is: Why Lutz?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I live off of lutz lake fern and travel to the airport (Right next to it anyways) daily. The veterans is a waste of time and money, especially with the construction now. I take local roads to get there and make it faster than when I try the expressway.

I am very hopeful that the expansion will help with the traffic

To note, I am on the expressway going north and looking at a parking lot on the southbound lanes at 7:48 AM.
It won't, if you ever drove on I-95 in Miami, that is exactly what this is going to look like. More lanes doesn't equal less traffic. Equals more traffic. I am not sure why these people don't get that.

It shouldn't be a toll rd considering that it is connecting all the people that have been moved north who work downtown...it's a scam really. It also sucks for those who have to take their kids to those schools in Lutz because now these people have to pay a toll every day more than once to take their kids to school! It sucks. The choice is being stuck for over an hour on Lutz Lake Fern! Ass backwards construction as always.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
It won't, if you ever drove on I-95 in Miami, that is exactly what this is going to look like. More lanes doesn't equal less traffic. Equals more traffic. I am not sure why these people don't get that.

It shouldn't be a toll rd considering that it is connecting all the people that have been moved north who work downtown...it's a scam really. It also sucks for those who have to take their kids to those schools in Lutz because now these people have to pay a toll every day more than once to take their kids to school! It sucks. The choice is being stuck for over an hour on Lutz Lake Fern! Ass backwards construction as always.
I Don't know that I agree with you there. Just because it didnt work on one road doesn't mean it wont work on another. If you look, the back up is generally due to the toll plaza causing traffic to stop. The off ramps are long enough to not block up the expressway. The transition to 275, 60 (causeway) and the airport are all very efficient and can handle much more traffic than they currently get therefore my thought is with the higher throughput on the expressway and no more stopping or slowing down for toll plaza's we should be able to see a nice difference in the road.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM

164 posts, read 266,696 times
I drive this everyday. Horrible. The morning isn't THAT bad...around 7am headed South. Afternoon...forget about it...5:30 going North is just terrible. Seems it got worst since they went to cash only at the moment. I was thinking about trying memorial hwy to Sheldon but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: