Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM

77 posts, read 107,980 times

Advertisements

What the heck is this 82040 form and how do I fill it out? Why can't I just take my title and Ohio registration and transfer my info? And what's the whole vin verification? I really have to find a cop to sign a form that he read my vin? Can I play dumb at the dmv and let them do all the work for me? I don't even know where to start with my husband's paper work either because he's still paying on his. Anyone been through this that can give me advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:14 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
No, you can't "play dumb" if you actually want anything done.

I was able to walk next door to the sheriff's office and a deputy came out, verified the VIN and signed the form.

You'll have to get a copy of the title from the finance company if you're still paying on a car.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM

153 posts, read 191,952 times
Is Sarasota County registration different than Hillsborough/Pinellas? In Sarasota you just show up at the tax collector's office and as long as you have the car with you the clerk will do the VIN inspection. I had my Fl license, insurance, out of state registration, and my lease contract and they did all the work. No deputies, no car titles since it was leased.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM

77 posts, read 107,980 times
This will be Pasco county just fyi.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
They are checking to see if the numbers on the car match the ones on the paperwork. Most states do that when you bring in a car from out of state.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellohio View Post
What the heck is this 82040 form and how do I fill it out? Why can't I just take my title and Ohio registration and transfer my info? And what's the whole vin verification? I really have to find a cop to sign a form that he read my vin? Can I play dumb at the dmv and let them do all the work for me? I don't even know where to start with my husband's paper work either because he's still paying on his. Anyone been through this that can give me advice?
Lovely to see who's moving here...thanks for proving my point on that.

First of all, you have to go to the TAG office. There, you give them the Ohio title, and proof of Florida Insurance, and bring the vehicle you want to register with you so that the COP reads the VIN number off of it. Then pay the registration fee, and can either get that FL title right then & there, or you can have it mailed to you.

More here:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/pasco.html

IF you need to do this for your husband, then you need a power of attorney, notarized, and HIS vehicle.

They ARE doing the work....

Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
When the wife and I got our car transferred from Illinois to Florida we took the car to the tax collector we called chase bank to have title transferred to the state. Then took car behind the tax collector building the woman helping us came out inspected car. Paid our $500 and got our plate. No cop to sign for vin#. We live in Clearwater went to tax collector on gulf to bay.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Here, the sheriff's department has an office right next door to the tax collector. They just sent me over there, and a deputy came out and looked at the car then signed the form right on my hood. I think they even called and told them I was coming over because I didn't have to go in, the deputy met me at the door.

But, this was after I waited a month for Pennsylvania to get me a paper title. Since I had just bought the car and was still paying it off, they don't issue paper titles. It was a hassle getting the bank to pester the state for the title.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:04 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Here, the sheriff's department has an office right next door to the tax collector. They just sent me over there, and a deputy came out and looked at the car then signed the form right on my hood. I think they even called and told them I was coming over because I didn't have to go in, the deputy met me at the door.

But, this was after I waited a month for Pennsylvania to get me a paper title. Since I had just bought the car and was still paying it off, they don't issue paper titles. It was a hassle getting the bank to pester the state for the title.
I registered in Sun City Center and it only took about 20 minutes. I did not need a paper title for the car on which I was making payments. All I needed was a letter signed by my credit union saying that they had it and reference the VIN.

All I did in advance was call the tag office to find out exactly what I needed. I got my FL driver's license first and then did the car. I came later that morning to register a second car. It was expensive to register the cars but easy and fast.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 AM

464 posts, read 645,158 times
We transferred our AZ title to FL in April at DMV in St. Pete; the DMV employee walked to our car in parking lot and did the VIN check. BTW, it was the same procedure as when we moved from VA to AZ many years ago.

You do need proof of car insurance in FL to register the car; you can't just show your current insurance if it was issued when you lived in another state.

One word of advice: You can at most offices, make an online appointment at DMV, rather than sit and wait for service. Go here for complete info on car transfer:
Car Registration Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: