Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I didn't complain that there are "no jobs". I had a good job in Florida, but for a lot of occupations the pay is less in Florida and the COL is increasing. I am critical of people who tout unemployment numbers when a lot of the jobs are low paying service/call center jobs.

I never claimed Chicago is paradise, but I do enjoy living in a world class city. It also made #8 on the same list, genius.

If you can't comprehend any of my past post and stay stuck on your dislike of my username, just stop responding.
Yeah, Chicago. Check this out: Environmental Study Finds Air In Chicago Now 75% Bullets | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Default Chicago wages

Workers in the Chicago-Joliet-Naperville Metropolitan Division had an average (mean) hourly wage of $23.95 in May 2013, about 7 percent above the nationwide average of $22.33, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Regional Commissioner Charlene Peiffer noted that, after testing for statistical significance, wages in the local area were significantly higher than their respective national averages in 10 of the 22 major occupational groups, including construction and extraction; sales and related; and installation, maintenance, and repair.

There is no way Florida can compare in wages to Chicago. We're in the Tampa area can a person make these starting wages. The only reason my wife and I moved here from the north is because the job she has here pays her $24 an hour that's with 20 yrs of experience at what she dose. She did not go to collage either. We lived in Joliet illionis right outside of Chicago she was making $25 plus her medical was paid for. She has to pay for her medical here. That's the only reason we moved here and the weather. But if she could not get a job what she is making now we would of stayed in Joliet. Could not afford for her to make less. She went backwards only $1 but not any further. She said the people she works with would not be able to cut it in Chicago they work to slow here. There are fortune 500 companies headquarters in Chicago. What fortune 500 companies dose Tampa have here.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Lol, I saw this on another thread. There probably is one member on this forum who will actually believe the article.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Why are you so hung up on money? Dude. I left NYC 25 years ago and walked out of a career job in telecommunications with a really big Japanese import/export co. I was a rising star in my position. Today I would be executive vice president of my division. However, I wouldnt trade those 25 years that Ive had here. My wife walked away from union job when we left NYC. Money is not everything in our life. We found ourselves living to work. Here we are able to work to live.

Wages dont mean a damm thing if your quality of life sucks. Your wife is right. We work slower here. We live a slower pace of life.

And really, what does having a "fortune 500" company in the area do for you?'
50 of them could be here and it would make no difference in the lives of the people.
However, in the Tampa Bay region we have
Publix Super Markets in Lakeland No. 104,
Clearwater's Tech Data Corp. No. 111.
St. Petersburg's Jabil Circuit No. 155
Tampa's WellCare Health Plans No. 294.

In the Fortune 1000
Raymond James Financial, the St. Petersburg No. 537
Tampa's Bloomin' Brands, No. 590,
HSN in St. Petersburg No. 670 from 666.
Tampa's TECO Energy, No. 692.

Illinois has 33 in the Fortune 500. Big deal.

You do realize that the population in this state is continually increasing. There is a reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Workers in the Chicago-Joliet-Naperville Metropolitan Division had an average (mean) hourly wage of $23.95 in May 2013, about 7 percent above the nationwide average of $22.33, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Regional Commissioner Charlene Peiffer noted that, after testing for statistical significance, wages in the local area were significantly higher than their respective national averages in 10 of the 22 major occupational groups, including construction and extraction; sales and related; and installation, maintenance, and repair.

There is no way Florida can compare in wages to Chicago. We're in the Tampa area can a person make these starting wages. The only reason my wife and I moved here from the north is because the job she has here pays her $24 an hour that's with 20 yrs of experience at what she dose. She did not go to collage either. We lived in Joliet illionis right outside of Chicago she was making $25 plus her medical was paid for. She has to pay for her medical here. That's the only reason we moved here and the weather. But if she could not get a job what she is making now we would of stayed in Joliet. Could not afford for her to make less. She went backwards only $1 but not any further. She said the people she works with would not be able to cut it in Chicago they work to slow here. There are fortune 500 companies headquarters in Chicago. What fortune 500 companies dose Tampa have here.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
LOL!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why are you so hung up on money? Dude. I left NYC 25 years ago and walked out of a career job in telecommunications with a really big Japanese import/export co. I was a rising star in my position. Today I would be executive vice president of my division. However, I wouldnt trade those 25 years that Ive had here. My wife walked away from union job when we left NYC. Money is not everything in our life. We found ourselves living to work. Here we are able to work to live.

Wages dont mean a damm thing if your quality of life sucks. Your wife is right. We work slower here. We live a slower pace of life.

And really, what does having a "fortune 500" company in the area do for you?'
50 of them could be here and it would make no difference in the lives of the people.
However, in the Tampa Bay region we have
Publix Super Markets in Lakeland No. 104,
Clearwater's Tech Data Corp. No. 111.
St. Petersburg's Jabil Circuit No. 155
Tampa's WellCare Health Plans No. 294.

In the Fortune 1000
Raymond James Financial, the St. Petersburg No. 537
Tampa's Bloomin' Brands, No. 590,
HSN in St. Petersburg No. 670 from 666.
Tampa's TECO Energy, No. 692.

Illinois has 33 in the Fortune 500. Big deal.

You do realize that the population in this state is continually increasing. There is a reason for that.
But the cost of living is going sky high here. The rent in clearwater has gone through the roof. Allot of the rent increases is do to the fact that people have lost there homes due to foreclosure. But still you have to make more than $15 an hour in order to get a decent place to live and to pay electric and food. The old way of thinking of living has changed. Gone are the ways of don't worry be happy
Are gone. The economy has changed, wages for most here have not kept up with the Cola. Wages have become stagnant. Florida is not a cheap state to live in as some people like to believe it is. So what they have no state tax but they charge more for other things to make up for that. Michigan income tax is only 4.25%. Plus there are no tool roads in Michigan, or red light camera"s, marriage license in Michigan is $20 when the wife an I were married here 2 years ago our marriage license cost $95 in Pinellas County. And to transfer our car was over $400. So the great state of Florida makes up for there no state in different ways.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 AM

During past economic downturns people took steps to survive it. Get a part time job on addition to the full time if you're single, get a roommate or two. Share a house with a couple. Do something to help yourself through the tough times. Get rid of the smartphone and the premium cable channels.

You need to look beyond FL and realize that wages are down nationally. Even internationally.

The days of growth and profit are gone for now. Its more a matter to companies to keep the lights on.

Back in the day people had to "tighten their belts" and that is where we are now.

Hey, if Michigan is so great you should have stayed there.

Quote:
But the cost of living is going sky high here. The rent in clearwater has gone through the roof. Allot of the rent increases is do to the fact that people have lost there homes due to foreclosure. But still you have to make more than $15 an hour in order to get a decent place to live and to pay electric and food. The old way of thinking of living has changed. Gone are the ways of don't worry be happy
Are gone. The economy has changed, wages for most here have not kept up with the Cola. Wages have become stagnant. Florida is not a cheap state to live in as some people like to believe it is. So what they have no state tax but they charge more for other things to make up for that. Michigan income tax is only 4.25%. Plus there are no tool roads in Michigan, or red light camera"s, marriage license in Michigan is $20 when the wife an I were married here 2 years ago our marriage license cost $95 in Pinellas County. And to transfer our car was over $400. So the great state of Florida makes up for there no state in different ways.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
During past economic downturns people took steps to survive it. Get a part time job on addition to the full time if you're single, get a roommate or two. Share a house with a couple. Do something to help yourself through the tough times. Get rid of the smartphone and the premium cable channels.

You need to look beyond FL and realize that wages are down nationally. Even internationally.

The days of growth and profit are gone for now. Its more a matter to companies to keep the lights on.

Back in the day people had to "tighten their belts" and that is where we are now.

Hey, if Michigan is so great you should have stayed there.
Im here like the rest of the retired northerns are the weather. I spend all my money earned in the North here. I made a dam good living in Michigan and am proud to call Michigan my home state.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Im here like the rest of the retired northerns are the weather. I spend all my money earned in the North here. I made a dam good living in Michigan and am proud to call Michigan my home state.
If it is weather you're looking for there are better places. San Diego, CA for instance.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If it is weather you're looking for there are better places. San Diego, CA for instance.
I have family here and Florida is closer to drive home if I want to. And like I said my wife is one of the exceptions to the rules here she is making $25 an hour because of here experience and the fact that there is no one in the Tampa area that has her insurance connections in the north. 99% of the major insurance companies are in the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay