Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times

Advertisements

Have you ever evacuated due to a hurricane?

Where did you go?

What strength hurricane would you stay put versus evacuating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
I have not in the over 2 decades of living here.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 AM

484 posts, read 761,602 times
I was part of the Rita evacuation on Key West. I was there for my wedding! While on the highway I had my officiant and photographer (who were also evacuating) on the phone and we decided to meetup in Ft Lauderdale and get this thing done.

In Tampa - I have been prepared to do so, but haven't felt the need. I have, however, had friends in Tampa "evacuate" their house and stay with me as a precaution (they had a mobile home). It was a good thing too - they arrived home to 4ft of water up to their doorstep. That was during Frances.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
No and won't until August 11, 2042 .

Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM

464 posts, read 645,881 times
Evacuated once in New Orleans due to hurricane (can't even remember name of it, back in 1980's). Evacuation wasn't mandatory but our airline was very insistent we get out while they were still flying, so we cut our vacation one day short.

We were advised to evacuate during a tsunami warning in Kauai, Hawaii. We were vacationing and heard about the warning during dinner. This was long before the tsunamis in Thailand and Japan made big news. We were: "what's a tsunami?" Went back to rental house after dinner; husband went to bed and I stayed up all night watching weather reports. Obviously we survived.

Not sure what we'll do here in case of hurricane; guessing hubby will go to bed and I'll stay up watching Klystron 9

Old 08-15-2014, 11:51 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Been here my whole life. Never once evacuated for a hurricane.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
Evacuation. Civil service in your area makes the call. Your business may remain open and you may have to work beyond the evacuation call if civil service determines your business is needed or your employer makes such a request. Most bridges have a wind limit. For example the Skyway may be 45mph. Above that and it will be shut down. Also the interstate and road 60 across Tampa Bay also have a limit. Beware that as your area's risk level increases bridges and roads may be shut down. The places to stay along the interstate quickly fill up. If you do not plan well ahead you may very well spend the time along the road. Review a map and follow the inlets and rivers and drainage ditches, etc. All of these will flood the surrounding communities as water is blown inland. The most practical answer for most people is to leave early.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Evacuation. Civil service in your area makes the call. Your business may remain open and you may have to work beyond the evacuation call if civil service determines your business is needed or your employer makes such a request. Most bridges have a wind limit. For example the Skyway may be 45mph. Above that and it will be shut down. Also the interstate and road 60 across Tampa Bay also have a limit. Beware that as your area's risk level increases bridges and roads may be shut down. The places to stay along the interstate quickly fill up. If you do not plan well ahead you may very well spend the time along the road. Review a map and follow the inlets and rivers and drainage ditches, etc. All of these will flood the surrounding communities as water is blown inland. The most practical answer for most people is to leave early.
Civil Service?? You mean some GS-9 in DC is gonna make the call???

Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM

464 posts, read 645,881 times
For Pinellas, this is a great website Office of Emergency Management. You can even register for a reverse 9-11 call. Lots of tips at site that would benefit everyone, not just Pinellas County residents.
Pinellas County, Florida - Emergency Management - Home Page

Old 08-15-2014, 04:36 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Never have. They made everyone leave Danashores back in the Sept 85 cane that sat in the gulf for 2 days. I stayed with the ship and took pics. I was loving them 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay