Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 04:12 AM

356 posts, read 302,586 times

Advertisements

Greetings all:

As you know, simply sending your kids to the middle school nearest your home, is not necessarily the best option anymore. With so many options to choose from, public, private, charter, magnet, and homeschooling, finding the "best" middle school, is no easy task. So, my question: can you recommend some good middle schools? I know this is a highly subjective question, but, still, would appreciate your comments.

I also understand, correct me if I am wrong, please, but, aside from private schools, if you live in one county, you have no option, whatsoever, to try to get your child into some school, in a different county from which you live, correct?

With all the reports of lackluster teaching in some schools, and/or bullying incidents, finding the "best" school is very important, as you can surely agree.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Can you be more specific as to "where"?

RM

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
go to Zillow, search all middle schools, sort by rating. All 8-10 out of 10 school are better than ones with lower grades.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
The OP is right that there is no option for public schools unless you request and have a very good reason to get approved for school choice.

Years ago we requested school choice and it was awarded and back then it was much easier.

I didn't care to much about school grades since there is so much that is incl. into the grading that often it is not totally reflecting what your own experience can be.

It does however make a huge difference in what program if applicable you child will be in. Since my son was in the gifted advance program which made him be with mostly motivated kids and great teachers and that was a huge benefit.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 17,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Greetings all:

As you know, simply sending your kids to the middle school nearest your home, is not necessarily the best option anymore. With so many options to choose from, public, private, charter, magnet, and homeschooling, finding the "best" middle school, is no easy task. So, my question: can you recommend some good middle schools? I know this is a highly subjective question, but, still, would appreciate your comments.

I also understand, correct me if I am wrong, please, but, aside from private schools, if you live in one county, you have no option, whatsoever, to try to get your child into some school, in a different county from which you live, correct?

With all the reports of lackluster teaching in some schools, and/or bullying incidents, finding the "best" school is very important, as you can surely agree.

Thank you.

When my grandkids were going to school they were going to Seminole Middle School... I hear its the best in the nation. high educated kids... not too far from me... but I pick up the little ones there after 2 mon-thurs.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 PM

356 posts, read 302,586 times
thank you all for your comments..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 39,309 times
Coleman Middle School and Wilson Middle School, both in South Tampa, are great. Both feed into Plant High School which is one of the best high schools in Tampa.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
If you want an answer that has some specificity, you're going to have to give us some details as to where you are talking about...

To answer the question above, no, you can't cross county boundaries for schools. Attendance is based on the legal residence of the parent or guardian, so if you live, for example, in Pasco County and want to send your child to a Hillsborough County school, you can't do it.

There are creative ways around this if you're so inclined, however, without revealing any secrets, the schools have ways of determining residency and if they suspect you're misrepresenting it they will investigate. I know of two such instances at a school I worked at where parents were using someone else's address to allow their child to attend an out of area school. When caught, the District immediately transferred the students back to their home schools.

RM

Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Many people would say Martinez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: