Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 48,796 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for input about several things. My Mom, Sister, 21 year old neice and I are planning to move to FL soon. Mom and Sis lived in the panhandle for several years. I've done a 10 day road trip down the Gulf Coast. We're very flexible - in fact just about all we're sure of is that we need to able to walk the beach whenever we want. None of us saw anything we didn't like about the area from Spring Hill to just north of Naples (we know we can't afford Naples). We do want to be in that area, not the panhandle. We'll all share housing and want to rent, at least for now. Mom is retired, sis and I both have lots of job experience, neice wants to establish residency and attend a college there. We have a bit of a nest egg and are willing to do just about anything jobwise - it wouldn't hurt our feelings a bit to work at Walmart for a while. We aren't jet setters by any means, but we like community theater, farmers markets, that sort of thing. We need easy access to medical facilities for Mom (no serious problems, but she's 75 and gets a sense of security knowing she's close to good medical care). Sis and I like the outdoors and occasionally get a kick out of the club scene. Currently we're living in a small town in TX, population 1500 - boring! We want to be around more activity, but we aren't big city folks, either. Our problem is that we just can't narrow down where we want to start. We know people in St. Pete who love it and ditto Sarasota. We've seen great looking condo complexes online that we can afford in every area we've checked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Our main needs are medical care, job opportunities, fairly easy beach access, affordability and a small to mid sized city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM

So, is there no difference between the St. Pete area and Sarasota?

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,661 times
You might get a better response posting in the Tampa forum. I have only been to Sarasota once and it is lovely along the water, but I didn't feel comfortable and relaxed there. I prefer St. Pete-maybe because I'm more familiar with it.
I didn't care for Bradenton at all. YMMV.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Let me know if you want it move to the Tampa forum...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,604,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lihutchi View Post
I'm looking for input about several things. My Mom, Sister, 21 year old neice and I are planning to move to FL soon. Mom and Sis lived in the panhandle for several years. I've done a 10 day road trip down the Gulf Coast. We're very flexible - in fact just about all we're sure of is that we need to able to walk the beach whenever we want. None of us saw anything we didn't like about the area from Spring Hill to just north of Naples (we know we can't afford Naples). We do want to be in that area, not the panhandle. We'll all share housing and want to rent, at least for now. Mom is retired, sis and I both have lots of job experience, neice wants to establish residency and attend a college there. We have a bit of a nest egg and are willing to do just about anything jobwise - it wouldn't hurt our feelings a bit to work at Walmart for a while. We aren't jet setters by any means, but we like community theater, farmers markets, that sort of thing. We need easy access to medical facilities for Mom (no serious problems, but she's 75 and gets a sense of security knowing she's close to good medical care). Sis and I like the outdoors and occasionally get a kick out of the club scene. Currently we're living in a small town in TX, population 1500 - boring! We want to be around more activity, but we aren't big city folks, either. Our problem is that we just can't narrow down where we want to start. We know people in St. Pete who love it and ditto Sarasota. We've seen great looking condo complexes online that we can afford in every area we've checked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Our main needs are medical care, job opportunities, fairly easy beach access, affordability and a small to mid sized city.
Being from Tampa, I'm partial to St. Pete. The county (Pinellas) is a peninsula so getting to a beach is easy. There are also some really good hospitals at Meese and Bayfront.

I had two real estate customers lately who are moving from Naples and Sarasota to the Tampa Bay area because they said Tampa Bay is more affordable and the traffic isn't as bad.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks, you guys. Sunrico, yes, please move this to the Tampa forum. Can you tell I'm new???

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

32 posts, read 238,945 times
I live in St. Pete and work in Sarasota. Both area's are great!! St. Pete is a little bigger and may have a little more going on. The beaches are nicer in Sarasota but both towns have tons of culture, restaurants and activities. Downtown Sarasota is more upscale while downtown St. Pete is more bohemian/alternative. St. Pete is closer to Tampa which is a plus if you do alot of travelling or need big city amenities. I really love St. Pete and Sarasota and I am always trying to decide which town I like better but in the end I love them both!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 12,426 times
I have lived in florida for many years and I can tell you that although Sarasota is prettier, there is really nowhere to hang out. I drove and drove around the city and found nothing more than a "Borders" book store and some strip malls. I must say that the beach is very nice though. St. Petersberg on the other hand also has a nice beach (not quite as pretty as Sarasota). The ocean side of S.Petersberg is more fun than the bay side. East St. Petersberg in my opinion has gone down hill. It is very run down and ugly. The only places I find fun in S.P are Ft. Desoto area and the ocean.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:05 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,205 times
ugh, ive lived in st. pete for 12 years and for the love of god dont move to this hell on earth.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 32,152 times
neather both to croweded ocala is nice place not to far away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay