Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

I was aware of Glenn Burke....I was talking about current players. Guess the Rays are setting things up to make it easier for a player to "come out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Ya and I just reread your post and corrected mine accordingly. They could have a gay player or not who may come out or not, however (assuming such a person currently exists) he finds himself most comfortable in this often awful world. Could have been that magnanimous a gesture but I doubt this move was just a one time deal for just one person in one situation. And even if it is, this is so much bigger than that.

This is the unfurling of a greater consciousness. That people should be able to live their lives in peace.

"There exists an obvious fact that seems utterly moral; namely, that a man is always a prey to his truths. Once he has admitted them, he cannot free himself from them."~~Albert Camus

Old 03-13-2015, 12:08 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Out of curiosity, because I don't think I heard this one, I see liberals, democrats, but aids activists do you not believe in Aids, do you think it's a punishment, do you not believe in viruses in general so if I get the flu it's because i didn't go church.
I don't know why you keep talking about "beliefs". This is a scientific issue. I'm interested in knowledge. Why are you so superstitious?

I know that AIDS is hard to get and that reducing the amount of unsafe sex would massively reduce the spread of the HIV virus. It's a real crime that AIDS activists overpowered the medical experts and social conservatives and turned this containable disease into a plague. Ironically, the people they were trying to help have been the primary victims of their actions.

This, by the way, is a constant theme in America for the past half century:

1. For millennia, society tells a group of people to contain their worst impulses.
2. Liberals tell people who subscribe to that ancient social wisdom that they are evil.
3. Liberals tells the group "If it feels good, do it."
4. The group self-destructs.
5. Liberals blame conservatives.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 03-13-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM

170 posts, read 233,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
LOL! If it were about civil rights, we'd have civil unions for abnormal partnerships. See how the lobby reacts to that idea? With a lot of anger and emotion. Why? Because this movement is not about rights. It is about suppressing the natural healthy reaction that normal people have towards dysfunctional behavior.

I can't blame Millennials for being the weakest generation ever produced in this country. Baby Boomers provided them a very confusing upbringing and that is only going to get worse for the next generation. This is what happens when you teach people that you're evil if you don't believe in evolution and you're also evil if you believe evolution applies to humans.
I have never seen a comment so backward in my life....

Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 PM

170 posts, read 233,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Rays have no business getting involved w/ the gay marriage subject, do they? What the hell does baseball have to do with gay marriage. What's in it for them?
When it comes to business inclusiveness is a key policy for the 21st century. I can recall when I lived in Jacksonville a CEO wanted to relocate a banking HQ. CEO denied relocation and moved to SoFL to not have employees exposed to bigoted politicans.

Sports = BUSINESS! The new Tampa Bay = far better than the racist Buccaneer games during the 80's and backward thinking that plagued this region. Glad to see things moving forward.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:04 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I don't know why you keep talking about "beliefs". This is a scientific issue. I'm interested in knowledge. Why are you so superstitious?

I know that AIDS is hard to get and that reducing the amount of unsafe sex would massively reduce the spread of the HIV virus. It's a real crime that AIDS activists overpowered the medical experts and social conservatives and turned this containable disease into a plague. Ironically, the people they were trying to help have been the primary victims of their actions.

This, by the way, is a constant theme in America for the past half century:

1. For millennia, society tells a group of people to contain their worst impulses.
2. Liberals tell people who subscribe to that ancient social wisdom that they are evil.
3. Liberals tells the group "If it feels good, do it."
4. The group self-destructs.
5. Liberals blame conservatives.
If I understand correctly you are referring to abstinence as the only form of safe sex. I never heard of an aids activist to not preach safe sex as the foundation to prevent HIV. I think abstinence is not realistic, its like saying we can avoid car accidents by not driving.
In general terms Humanity historically has not contained their worst impulses although I think basic impulses is probably more accurate. Not sure what ancient social wisdom is, you would find that the ancient world was filled with incest, slavery, child sexual exploitation, murder, polygamy every excess and vice you can think of. At one point social conservatives argued certain people and their descendants should be slaves based on the color of their skin, condemn women to burn at the stake for showing some ankle while they were having sex with children, you can fill books with the atrocities committed in the name of "keeping our way of life", you have every right to try to keep with your customs and personal beliefs but keep mind that "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man’s nose begins."

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
Preaching abstinence as the only form of safe sex is where conservatives have really made the AIDS crisis worse. It's ignorant and damaging.
Conservatives are usually on the wrong side of history...again and again....

I applaud the Rays on their decision. It is the right thing to do...and it's GOOD business.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I vacationed in St. Pete last June and was really impressed with the night time pride parade. News reports stated that 100,000 people participated as either marchers or spectators. I had a great time. Everyone was in a good mood and there was a friendly vibe even though I would estimate there were more straight people amongst the onlookers. I still think the LGBT community has advanced the farthest in Broward County with Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale/Dania Beach/Hollywood/Oakland Park gay influx, but the Tampa Bay area is really catching up.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I vacationed in St. Pete last June and was really impressed with the night time pride parade. News reports stated that 100,000 people participated as either marchers or spectators. I had a great time. Everyone was in a good mood and there was a friendly vibe even though I would estimate there were more straight people amongst the onlookers. I still think the LGBT community has advanced the farthest in Broward County with Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale/Dania Beach/Hollywood/Oakland Park gay influx, but the Tampa Bay area is really catching up.
And both Tampa and St. Pete mayors have participated. I believe Tampa also co-sponsored this years Pride parade. Next to So. FL, this is definitely the most liberal area of Florida. Even Sarasota has their own Pridefest and Harvey Milk Festival.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRJaZdodEgI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay