Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:17 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times

Advertisements

Have you been charged "document fees" when you bought a car? I am talking about a "document fee" that the dealer pockets over and above the state tag and title fees.

The dealer gets you to an agreed price and then jacks it up by adding a document fee in with the list of sales taxes, tag and title fees just to get another bite out of your wallet. Some states limit how much they can charge.

Paperwork on a sale probably will take 15 minutes of the title clerk's time. A finance contract might take a bit longer, but the dealer makes an additional profit on that also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Yes, almost all do it and some are advertising with a lower flat fee or they will waive it and then add it else where.

We always ask upfront and otherwise we leave or don't even go to the dealer depending on what they charge.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
That's why you never negotiate just car price, only out the door price. That is the only way to compare Apple to Apple between dealers. Last time I was in market once I got the OTD price, I let the dealer what ever he wants to call it. He can call it " I am feeling great today" fee.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I've come to actually dislike ("hate" is too strong a word) car sales people/dealerships. I have found out the providing them with a "walk away price" and maintaining a hardline.....if you go above this price, I walk away. I had to walk a couple of times. One guy said he had to pay for the lights in the building and couldn't do it by giving away cars.

I don't even like shaking their hands afterwards - give me my car and let me get the heck out of here. I'm paying cash, don't want a warranty, don't finance.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
That's why you never negotiate just car price, only out the door price. That is the only way to compare Apple to Apple between dealers. Last time I was in market once I got the OTD price, I let the dealer what ever he wants to call it. He can call it " I am feeling great today" fee.
I agree with this ^^^. Out the door price is all that matters. I don't care how much they say they are giving me on trade-in, document fees, etc. etc. I was very happy last time I bought a car (a cheap used one I might add) I bought it from Wilde Honda, and was pleased all the way around, with service, price and the car I got.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Florida is the higest in the nation Susprise Susprise not.

Average Dealer Documentation Fees by State

Old 06-06-2015, 10:31 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
If you request an "out the door" price quote, more often than not they will not include their "dealer prep" fee. I've had this happen to me while looking at cars a couple months ago. I used specifically for an "out the door" price and without stating specifically that it was to include any and all dealer fees, they quoted me a price without the fees.

When I confronted one salesperson about it they seemed indifferent. "You didn't say it should include our fees."

RM

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
When I need to shop for a car in the next few years I'll just go to one of the dealers that advertise no dealer fees. They tend to be the brands in which I'm most interested anyhow.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:57 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Bought different brand new cars and always asked for out the door price. When/If I saw some magic new fees being added, I was walking away and they stop me to say they did the mistake.
The best advice I can give - spend 2-3 days buying a car and go from one dealership to another. They you have good offer, tell other dealership to at least match it or even to get you better deal.
I saw sales people working out numbers backwards from my price to include all needed fees. I always bought cars with significant discount. If you are not in rush, wait for the end of fiscal year and go shopping.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Florida is the higest in the nation Susprise Susprise not.

Average Dealer Documentation Fees by State
don't like it here?

move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay