Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 AM

129 posts, read 150,690 times

Advertisements

Just curious if those that have moved to FL or natives miss the seasons or cooler weather? Do you get tired of the constant summer season all year round? Does it get cooler in the winter, enough to feel like a different season?

I'm from NJ, living in Phx, AZ for 6 years and need to be back near the ocean. We are thinking of the Tampa area (best prospect for a job transfer for my DH). Though, I'm not sure I am ready for the humidity and warm summer season all year round. Here in Phx, we get in the 60's in Dec and Jan, it's a welcome change from our summer heat. It actually feels like Christmas sometimes.

How is it in the winter there? Do kids go pumpkin picking in the fall?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times
Lived in NE and mid-Atlantic for 50 years. Retired to Bisbee, AZ for 5 years; then Central Mexico for 5 years. Eldercare issues brought us back to the East Coast US last year. Bought in Gulfport and love it here.

Weatherwise; it's not as good here as in Mexico. Winters here are a little too cool for us in January. Don't miss 4 seasons, not at all...though we experience them as we visit DC-Metro once every six weeks or so.

Summers here are similar to DC-Metro's, but MUCH MUCH longer! By Labor Day, it's monotonous, but we are retired and able to travel whenever we want.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,241,226 times
as a florida native, it gets old.

I would love to get the seasons but at the same time, our winter is nearly perfect weather most of the time. It rarely gets "too cold" during those few months and is usually quite pleasant. The summers can be pretty brutal but it also opens up the doors for more swimming/beach time which is a big reason a lot of people like FL

Old 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM

473 posts, read 544,993 times
We're moving to Tampa to get away from the four seasons and the cold. After 47 years we're ready for the long long summers.

Although keep in mind, unfortunately Tampa does have its cold spurts, in the past few years Tampa has recorded some of its lowest daytime highs in the 40's and 50's.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM

745 posts, read 802,206 times
I agree, I hate the heat...

This winter was a joke this year, and spring was nonexistant. Fall was meh.

The last few years before that, going back to the brutal winter of 2010, it's been pretty cold and spring actually long / pronounced.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM

240 posts, read 287,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
We're moving to Tampa to get away from the four seasons and the cold. After 47 years we're ready for the long long summers.

Although keep in mind, unfortunately Tampa does have its cold spurts, in the past few years Tampa has recorded some of its lowest daytime highs in the 40's and 50's.

I think that moving from Buffalo, NY and other places way up there to Florida is a bit of an extreme. I don't understand why people don't choose a state in between. You can get your change of seasons, but not an extreme winter. Don't the seaboard states have beaches, too?

Talk about major changes and if you're not used to this heat, you are in for a rude awakening. Tonight our lows are going to be in the 80s. That's LOWS! With high dew points, which is a much better way to measure the way it feels. This year has been really bad so far.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
No, I don't.

And yes, I can definitely tell a difference in the season.

Summer is extremely hot and humid.... the sun is very bright too, almost vivid. The way the sky looks too is different looking, light a lighter blue. Nights are always warm. It can get a bit monotonous, but what should one expect living so far south?

The winter weather is vastly different. Its not nearly as humid, the days are cooler, albeit still pleasantly warm. It's rarely "hot" as in "omg, it's so hot im like...dying right now"...rather its usually arounf 77 to 83 degrees, at least in Miami....the winter is our best weather. It's glorious. There are some days that are cool, where it may only reach 72 or *GASP like 68 degrees, so it's definitely cooler and milder and more liveable outdoors in the winter, but I love it. Very dry and sunny and pleasant.

Spring and Fall are short and not all that noticeable. Spring is just like one day u notice it's getting a lot warmer and more humid.... and then BAM it just stays like that for the next 6 months.

Fall is like "omg, a cold front came through, the weather is now tolerable" and it stays like that basically.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Some people love the warm weather to death and it's perfect for them, but not me. I love my seasons. I even wish the winters were colder.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 PM

473 posts, read 544,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
I think that moving from Buffalo, NY and other places way up there to Florida is a bit of an extreme. I don't understand why people don't choose a state in between. You can get your change of seasons, but not an extreme winter. Don't the seaboard states have beaches, too?

Talk about major changes and if you're not used to this heat, you are in for a rude awakening. Tonight our lows are going to be in the 80s. That's LOWS! With high dew points, which is a much better way to measure the way it feels. This year has been really bad so far.
My wife and I do not want a state in between, we don't want North Carolina or Virginia with its 30-40 degree winters and snow.

No snow, no winter, no fall, no spring.................just Summer and hot , hot, hot. That's what we love, thats what we want and that's what we'll get.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
No snow, no winter, no fall, no spring.................just Summer and hot , hot, hot. That's what we love, thats what we want and that's what we'll get.
That's what you all say, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay