Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times

Advertisements

My grandparents retired from North Ga. to Leesburg Fla. north of Orlando. At that time we also lived in Northern Ga, and I admit even the winters in the highest elevations there are tame compared to northeast or upper Midwest. As kids we use to hate going to "mema and papa's cause it always was warm at Christmas! I do remember one year maybe 1986 it was actually coolish and at night it was cold enough to kill my grandfathers orange trees in the back yard. As retirees they loved the warm weather, so different strokes for different folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Awwww poor you! This stuff happens anywhere it snows! Quit whining!
Not whining about anything. Its a fact. I stated a fact, something you rarely do.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I sure don't like winter, but I think I'd like some little variation in seasons. I'm in Florida and I tried Arizona before moving here. I have been plagued by migraines since moving here, and I attribute it to the heat, humidity and allergens here. Though I can't be sure of that. So yes I'd like a little up and down with the temps and humidity. A little variation in the seasons. However this is Florida and its suppose to be what it is here. I knew that coming here, so I will just have to adjust. Migraines and all.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM

231 posts, read 587,569 times
I LOVE the warm weather but admit that from Thanksgiving to New Years it would be nice to have cool weather. Its hard to get into the christmas spirit when its 80 degrees out!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
WANative that's more of a unique South Florida prob. While it isn't super cold, low temps in the 50s in January and December in Tampa/Orlando aren't uncommon, in fact I believe they might be average.

As per the thoughts on Buffalo. I don't fault anyone moving where they would enjoy the weather better. They like what they like! Certainly diff strokes for diff folks. However, from unbiased (or maybe slightly biased perspective), the other side of the coin on that is that there are 157 (I think) days of sun a year in Buffalo, at least partially, compared to 246 in Tampa. 157 is low even by NE/MW standards, but everything comes with a trade off. Buffalo has greener grass likely, beautiful gardens, fall and presumably more tree cover. And, far less humid and more comfortable summer temps than surrounding cities. As far as winter events are concerned, Buffalo is chieftain among them. But even if we presume that every "Winter Event" causes things to be difficult to traverse for 48 hours (doubtful) and each one of these calamities occurs on a weekday (this winter was also unusually harsh), that still only amounts to about 20-25 days a year where a person is forced to shovel out. Hardly the 8 months many make it out to be. However, some have a negative aversion to it, and I can't fault that. Everyone is different.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
That's exactly what we did. Best move ever. To hot for to long for us.
And you didn't know this when you decided to move to Florida?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times
Not sure where this notion of 8 months of winter came from, definitely not the case however 5 months of winter is very accurate. Again I defer to the link below.

WFO Buffalo 2014-15 Winter Summary

Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Buffalo isnt a good representation of general winter conditions for the entire Northeast as it has a very localized micro climate that is influenced in a big way by lake effect snow.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 AM

37 posts, read 38,403 times
I am new to Florida so can't speak to how I will feel here after a long summer, but when I lived in an equatorial climate earlier in my life, I did not miss the seasons one single bit. I gloried in not having seasons. I'm from the Northeast originally, and have lived in the NE for a lot of my life, and I could not have felt happier about leaving winter behind.

Some other people I knew said they missed the seasons - especially around Christmas; we were expats and I think that they were feeling homesick that time of year - but they didn't seem to miss the seasons enough to leave.

I know some people prefer cold winters to hot summers, if they feel they have to make that choice. I myself an not one of those people.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Mentally, yes; physically, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay