Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 AM

15 posts, read 15,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Be extremely careful choosing Wesley Chapel because of schools and here is why.... First of all, this coming school year: Seven Oaks elementary is extremely overcrowded (166% capacity!). All 5th graders are in portable rooms that are set up on formal physical education fields! This school as of now have extra 444 (!!!) elementary school students!!! (it was build for 674 students and this year had 1118 enrolled). The number of student for 2015-16 school year will be higher due to new communities zoned to SOES being built.

Second reason - school rezoning is COMING! Seven Oaks Elementary, Sand Pine Elementary, Double Branch Elementary, Denham Oaks Elementary will be rezoned for 2016-17 school year due to new elementary school coming to Wiregrass area (Wiregrass Elementary next to existing John Long Middle).
Which mean people who are currently zoned to Seven Oaks elementary will be rezoned else where. And just by looking at the map it's clear some are going to be rezoned to Denham Oaks in Lutz (C/D rated school! which is under 70% of its capacity...). But even if entire Seven Oaks community will stay zoned to SOES, the school still will be overcrowded because it has 718 existing students and with new builds within Seven Oaks community itself expect an increase from 174 to 330 additional elementary school students. So, the school designed to accommodate 674 students will have over 700-800 students and still will be overcrowded.

Well, this is not all news for that area. New mixed middle/high school is coming to Old Pasco Rd for 2017-18 school year. It means another school rezoning is coming and I will bet everyone west of Bruce B Downs Blvd along SR 56 will be rezoned to new school. Which means Seven Oaks will be rezoned from John Long Middle and Wiregrass High (Highly rated schools) to new mixed middle/high school. I predict prices for homes in Seven Oaks and surrounding communities affected by rezoning will decrease. (Hint: good time to sell not )

So, be careful choosing Wesley Chapel and specifically Seven Oaks community because of school due to changes that are coming.

Nobody knows how school ratings will be affected after rezoning. Existing school ratings might go down, new schools might be high or low... nobody knows. My personal opinion, new mixed school will not be a great school for few reasons (demographics, being mixed school), but I am not sure if John Long and Wiregrass High will be able to keep its high rating either.

Anyone who is considering moving to Wesley Chapel, take a look at Lexington Oaks Community. They are zoned to Veterans Elementary (and Veterans Elementary is 1) not overcrowded and 2) has higher than Seven Oaks rating based on tests results) and will also be rezoned to new mixed school as Seven Oaks Community. But surprise-surprise, Lexington Oaks is not highly promoted here because realtor who is raving about Seven Oaks being the best community in WC for number of years here on this forum (and who doesn't personally live in Seven Oaks by the way) doesn't own houses/townhouses in Lexington Oaks

Lexington Oaks is a nice community. As someone who has experience with Seven Oaks amenities I would choose Lexington Oaks with no doubts. Seven Oaks amenities are overrated and way overcrowded. Pool slide has been out of service for over a year and they now replacing it. You can rent club house if you want but it cost money. And the entire community is getting old, so maint. portion of CDD is to go up. There is no question about it. Sure Seven Oaks was kept better compare to other communities, but sorry, it's far from being perfect.

If you want to stick to John Long or Wiregrass High, look into communities east of Bruce B Downs along SR 56, but not County Walk (I see it being rezoned to Wesley Chapel Middle and High in 2 years). Entire Meadow Pointe community including new communities like Estancia, Union Park, The Ridge are to stay zoned to John Long and Wiregrass High.

Disclaimer: I love Seven Oaks elementary, but test results for last couple of years shows Seven Oaks Elementary has lower results compare to other Elementary schools in Wesley Chapel. SOES is not the strongest school for sure. Pasco County has better schools. Yes, it's still A rated school, but it's really close to drop it's rating based on what I've seen. Kudos to SOES Principal, teachers, PTA for keeping up the school rating being so horrible overcrowded!
This is going to be a problem in a lot of the Tampa Bay area suburbs in general, as population growth here is accelerating of late.

Wesley Chapel is probably getting a little more of it, though, and due, in no small measure, to the upcoming Tampa Premium Outlets, which is scheduled to open it's first phase October 29th this year. This new outlet mall is on the Southwest corner of I-75 and SR-56/54, which is about 3-4 miles west of Seven Oaks. Traffic can be difficult in this area already, and is likely to get worse with this new outlet mall. Across 56 (so, the Northwest corner of I-75/SR-56) will be Cypress Creek Town Center. As I understand it. this will be a lifestyle center (similar to The Grove at I-75/SR-54, which is the next exit north on I-75 ~5 miles), and will have Chick-fil-A and Costco.

This is something to consider, as it will impact traffic if either of you work towards Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dating_houses View Post
EngGirl, extremely helpful post and exactly the insider information I was looking for. Thank you so much. I am curious about something...my husband is Latino and I am white, our kids are obviously mixed. We currently live in the DC area, so this is completely a non-issue here due to the amount of diversity. Should I have any concerns about this in Wesley Chapel? We have traveled to Florida many times and never had any issues, but with everything going on recently, it is something I am curious about. Honest answers are appreciated. Thank you!
As others have mentioned, this will not be a problem at all. Tampa's history is steeped in Cuban culture (cigars used to be made in Ybor City just east of downtown Tampa). Speaking of Cuban culture, the Cuban Sandwich...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris23 View Post
This is going to be a problem in a lot of the Tampa Bay area suburbs in general, as population growth here is accelerating of late.

Wesley Chapel is probably getting a little more of it, though, and due, in no small measure, to the upcoming Tampa Premium Outlets, which is scheduled to open it's first phase October 29th this year. This new outlet mall is on the Southwest corner of I-75 and SR-56/54, which is about 3-4 miles west of Seven Oaks. Traffic can be difficult in this area already, and is likely to get worse with this new outlet mall. Across 56 (so, the Northwest corner of I-75/SR-56) will be Cypress Creek Town Center. As I understand it. this will be a lifestyle center (similar to The Grove at I-75/SR-54, which is the next exit north on I-75 ~5 miles), and will have Chick-fil-A and Costco.

This is something to consider, as it will impact traffic if either of you work towards Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete.
Totally agree! Don't even get me started on traffic LOL
But the topic started was looking into specific community because of specific school, and school boundaries are about to change, that was the point of my post here.

All these new communities and mall and ice forum and most likely more dealerships will not make traffic better for sure.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM

48 posts, read 52,857 times
Thank you for all the helpful info! I'm so glad I found this forum and was able to get solid answers from locals. We are so excited about the move and I'm going to take all of this into consideration when trying to find the perfect neighborhood and schools for my kids!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 52,857 times
Quote:
Totally agree! Don't even get me started on traffic LOL
But the topic started was looking into specific community because of specific school, and school boundaries are about to change, that was the point of my post here.

All these new communities and mall and ice forum and most likely more dealerships will not make traffic better for sure.
Can't be any worse that traffic on I66 in NoVA. I know the person from Silver Spring knows what I mean. The only place I've seen worse is LA

Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris23 View Post
As others have mentioned, this will not be a problem at all. Tampa's history is steeped in Cuban culture (cigars used to be made in Ybor City just east of downtown Tampa). Speaking of Cuban culture, the Cuban Sandwich...
Cigars used to be made in Ybor? Cigars are still made in Ybor! But yes... A Cuban sandwich is amazing. Unfortunately, you'll have to come to Tampa to get a good one.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM

148 posts, read 377,365 times
Quote:
Can't be any worse that traffic on I66 in NoVA. I know the person from Silver Spring knows what I mean. The only place I've seen worse is LA

Oh yes. I try not to complain about my commute here.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am sure everything could be compared to better/worse places. We just used to certain traffic conditions (spoiled, I know ), so increase of traffic is not making us happy. I mean most people are getting frustrated it takes them half a hour to got to I-75 when they live within 5 miles from the exit (traffic on I-75 is totally different story)... people are getting upset others are cutting off in front of you which creates accidents, delays... It's not Atlanta traffic for sure, but still not pleasant experience on regular basis. We just comparing to what it used to be

Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
One thing that is a concern to me is that you are making comments on future things that you assume and not know and make is sound like that's how it will happen.

We have seen all the so called experts with crust balls that knew it all
You even say values will go down so sell in Seven Oaks based on...assumptions!

If you call the County they can't give any information about school zoning so how can you?

There are so many unknowns and even though you mention student numbers which may be true as I didn't check them I know that when one of my kids was in WCHS and the middle school there were temporary units to solve the overcrowding as new schools were.not opened yet and frankly it was so well organised the kids and parents hardly notices it by having different times for kids to start and the temporary units are so nicely build that kids don't mind having to get courses in these units as they are not like the ones in the 80's.
It is good.if potential tenants and buyers are looking every where as every realtor knows that homes in Seven Oaks rent and sell faster then else where for many reasons but there are plenty of nice communities in the area and absolutely something for people who want something different.

BTW Enggirl there are way more assumptions you make regarding me that are just false and you claim to know me but clearly you don't.
But to me it is funny to read what you claim to know and it is amusing.

Quote:
Be extremely careful choosing Wesley Chapel because of schools and here is why.... First of all, this coming school year: Seven Oaks elementary is extremely overcrowded (166% capacity!). All 5th graders are in portable rooms that are set up on formal physical education fields! This school as of now have extra 444 (!!!) elementary school students!!! (it was build for 674 students and this year had 1118 enrolled). The number of student for 2015-16 school year will be higher due to new communities zoned to SOES being built.

Second reason - school rezoning is COMING! Seven Oaks Elementary, Sand Pine Elementary, Double Branch Elementary, Denham Oaks Elementary will be rezoned for 2016-17 school year due to new elementary school coming to Wiregrass area (Wiregrass Elementary next to existing John Long Middle).
Which mean people who are currently zoned to Seven Oaks elementary will be rezoned else where. And just by looking at the map it's clear some are going to be rezoned to Denham Oaks in Lutz (C/D rated school! which is under 70% of its capacity...). But even if entire Seven Oaks community will stay zoned to SOES, the school still will be overcrowded because it has 718 existing students and with new builds within Seven Oaks community itself expect an increase from 174 to 330 additional elementary school students. So, the school designed to accommodate 674 students will have over 700-800 students and still will be overcrowded.

Well, this is not all news for that area. New mixed middle/high school is coming to Old Pasco Rd for 2017-18 school year. It means another school rezoning is coming and I will bet everyone west of Bruce B Downs Blvd along SR 56 will be rezoned to new school. Which means Seven Oaks will be rezoned from John Long Middle and Wiregrass High (Highly rated schools) to new mixed middle/high school. I predict prices for homes in Seven Oaks and surrounding communities affected by rezoning will decrease. (Hint: good time to sell not )

So, be careful choosing Wesley Chapel and specifically Seven Oaks community because of school due to changes that are coming.

Nobody knows how school ratings will be affected after rezoning. Existing school ratings might go down, new schools might be high or low... nobody knows. My personal opinion, new mixed school will not be a great school for few reasons (demographics, being mixed school), but I am not sure if John Long and Wiregrass High will be able to keep its high rating either.

Anyone who is considering moving to Wesley Chapel, take a look at Lexington Oaks Community. They are zoned to Veterans Elementary (and Veterans Elementary is 1) not overcrowded and 2) has higher than Seven Oaks rating based on tests results) and will also be rezoned to new mixed school as Seven Oaks Community. But surprise-surprise, Lexington Oaks is not highly promoted here because realtor who is raving about Seven Oaks being the best community in WC for number of years here on this forum (and who doesn't personally live in Seven Oaks by the way) doesn't own houses/townhouses in Lexington Oaks

Lexington Oaks is a nice community. As someone who has experience with Seven Oaks amenities I would choose Lexington Oaks with no doubts. Seven Oaks amenities are overrated and way overcrowded. Pool slide has been out of service for over a year and they now replacing it. You can rent club house if you want but it cost money. And the entire community is getting old, so maint. portion of CDD is to go up. There is no question about it. Sure Seven Oaks was kept better compare to other communities, but sorry, it's far from being perfect.

If you want to stick to John Long or Wiregrass High, look into communities east of Bruce B Downs along SR 56, but not County Walk (I see it being rezoned to Wesley Chapel Middle and High in 2 years). Entire Meadow Pointe community including new communities like Estancia, Union Park, The Ridge are to stay zoned to John Long and Wiregrass High.

Disclaimer: I love Seven Oaks elementary, but test results for last couple of years shows Seven Oaks Elementary has lower results compare to other Elementary schools in Wesley Chapel. SOES is not the strongest school for sure. Pasco County has better schools. Yes, it's still A rated school, but it's really close to drop it's rating based on what I've seen. Kudos to SOES Principal, teachers, PTA for keeping up the school rating being so horrible overcrowded!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One thing that is a concern to me is that you are making comments on future things that you assume and not know and make is sound like that's how it will happen.

We have seen all the so called experts with crust balls that knew it all
You even say values will go down so sell in Seven Oaks based on...assumptions!

If you call the County they can't give any information about school zoning so how can you?

There are so many unknowns and even though you mention student numbers which may be true as I didn't check them I know that when one of my kids was in WCHS and the middle school there were temporary units to solve the overcrowding as new schools were.not opened yet and frankly it was so well organised the kids and parents hardly notices it by having different times for kids to start and the temporary units are so nicely build that kids don't mind having to get courses in these units as they are not like the ones in the 80's.
It is good.if potential tenants and buyers are looking every where as every realtor knows that homes in Seven Oaks rent and sell faster then else where for many reasons but there are plenty of nice communities in the area and absolutely something for people who want something different.

BTW Enggirl there are way more assumptions you make regarding me that are just false and you claim to know me but clearly you don't.
But to me it is funny to read what you claim to know and it is amusing.
Want to bet? Do you really think I make ups all numbers I used in my first post in this topic? Do you really think changes like rezoning are happening overnight?

I have a tip for you - call County again or even meet with County officials to discuss this subject. It's all public information and County officials are willing to meet with public. I had no issues with that as you can see. Yes, my assumptions are just my assumptions, but all based on numbers and conversations I had with County officials lately. Besides that most of my assumptions are a no brainer - look at the map yourself and convince me (and others) why rezoning would be done in any other way from what I said.

P.S. Elementary school boundaries will be available for public view within next 6-8 months and for new mixed Middle/High - at the same time next year (which is in 1 year and 6-8 months).

Moderator cut: keep it about the topic not other members

As I said - Seven Oaks is good, but not the best and like it or not school boundaries will be changing.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-08-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
When Cities or Towns are growing it always comes with the negative side of adding traffic, but the positive side is more jobs.

In general I want to say that not every buyer and/or tenant who is moving is focused on school ratings as many don't have kids or adult kids and others will choose private schools or online schooling so there are many factors why people want to live in a certain area or not. Some will weigh it more heavily as others.

There are in Hillsborough County some communities with not the greatest school ratings in their zoning and all these kids are still getting an education but you can see that private schools, etc. are more the school of choice and buyer's still very much desire the area regardless of lower public school ratings.

Last edited by bentlebee; 07-07-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay