Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
Yesterday we got a quote on a house we are buying. It was built in 1964. The quote was over $3,000 for flood alone. FIRM date is October, 1970. So this house should be Pre-FIRM but the numbers don't seem to reflect that.
You need guys current policy and an EC to get a good quote. What does owner currently pay and have you seen his policy or bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
The insurance company said pretty much what you said, Sandy. Continuous coverage. The owner doesn't have flood insurance so we'll be paying for that.

The surveyor was out yesterday. When I stopped by he was taking elevations. I should have that soon.

On another house we were looking to buy, we got flood quotes around $1600. The EC the owners had put the elevation at a fraction over 9. We're hoping the EC on the house we're buying comes in favorable.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
The EC the owners had put the elevation at a fraction over 9. We're hoping the EC on the house we're buying comes in favorable.
Check the last time the FEMA maps were updated; they can potentially raise the level in the future so that would make me nervous if it hadn't been surveyed by them in recent years.

There's rumors St Pete Beach area will be re-surveyed in the next year or so and some areas close by (Port Richey) have been raised recently, so I built two feet above the current requirement just as a precaution.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:44 PM

94 posts, read 155,107 times
I could go on and on, Pay cash and take your gamble, look at the history of the area, stay away from filled lots . (All of the canal homes) If you cant afford to loose it then you cant afford to live on Tampa Bay with out flood. Flood from rain is different than a storm in the gulf pushing salt water up the bay due to a extra high tide. Our winter house is in so st Pete 3 ft above high tide no sea wall. its had water in it one time in 60yrs, I will take the chance going naked I will be 62 this yr

Old 09-20-2015, 07:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
I bought my condo, and went naked.

The basic building is covered by the HOA, and I am responsible for the interior. I did the math, and if nothing happens, I am $$$ ahead after 10 years, assuming I will do the work myself (I'm capable and qualified).

I'm in year 3, so only 7 more non-instances years to go. After that, I'm money ahead.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I bought my condo, and went naked.

The basic building is covered by the HOA, and I am responsible for the interior. I did the math, and if nothing happens, I am $$$ ahead after 10 years, assuming I will do the work myself (I'm capable and qualified).

I'm in year 3, so only 7 more non-instances years to go. After that, I'm money ahead.
And if a primary residence you can get around 32K from Fema if a presidential declared disaster.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
And if a primary residence you can get around 32K from Fema if a presidential declared disaster.
Won't work for me; I'm a Canadian snowbird.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM

230 posts, read 430,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
This is of course no substitute for an actual elevation survey, but Google Earth is generally accurate to within about 6 inches for elevation in comparison to how a surveyor would measure it. If you zoom in on the house in Google Earth and get the elevation, that will be from zero to ground level. In St Pete Beach where I am, Google pegged my lot ground level at about 3 feet above zero, which was very close to what the surveyor certified.
I have found that Google Earth is not accurate for elevation purposes. I just reconfirmed it.

When I lived in Florida, I had a house on a canal. The water was behind a Corps Of Engineer's lock. The Corps maintains the water level depending on operational needs, but it usually is set at something called standard pool. The actual measurement is called head on the upstream side and tail on the downstream side.

When I was living there, I drove to the locktender's office and asked what the head was and if it was at standard pool. He said it was, plus I could see it on the gauge myself. I then drove back to the house and drove a large spike in one of my pilings right at the water line. That gave me a known reference level.

Armed with that information, I measured the vertical distance from the spike to the lot level and added the head reading. It totaled roughly 23 feet. The county claimed the road was at 22 feet, so that made sense, as the the previous owner had brought in enough fill to raise the lot slightly above the road. I very confident that I knew what my lot elevation was.

A little while ago I brought up Google Earth. It's elevation reading for that property was 11 feet, which is much too low. It also read 11 feet when I scrolled over the canal, which is much lower than the lot (the bank is fairly steep). It should have dropped significantly, or more accurately, it should have been much higher for the lot itself.

Google Earth's elevation reading may be coincidentally correct for St. Pete Beach, but I don't think anyone should count on it for flood purposes.

For what it is worth, I also note a discrepancy at my current home in Tennessee. Beside being about 30 foot off, its rate of change does not mirror the rate of change of the actual land. There appears to be a lot of averaging going on, along with some lateral displacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay