Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,065 times

Advertisements

Doing online research revealed (correctly? erroneously?) that I can have a choice of energy providers in New Port Richey where I've just been approved for an apartment which will require me to cover my own electricity expenses.

If the information about energy provider choice is "true," and if both services-- "Tampa Electric" and "Florida Power & Light" --are indeed available in, and competing for, the NPR market, then which would I be better going with, factoring everything from bottom-line costs (always the primary incentive), stability/reliability, frequency of [routine] power outages, response time to power restoration in the event of outages, etc.?

Service will be established for a small one bedroom apartment with one full-sized refrigerator/freezer, an electric over/range, and (assume) electric water heater -- with the only other incidental consumptions of power coming from a frequently running home computer network (tower station and laptop) with 5.1 sound system, occasionally a small oscillating fan, and MAYBE (if it ever gets that cold in this part of the country) the occasional use of a small "space heater," outside of the other "normally expected" energy use situations such as lights, battery recharging, alarm clock/radio, etc. (*NO "Televisions" or "Air Conditioners").

Any information, clarifications or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 03:14 PM

30,452 posts, read 21,289,763 times
I never knew you can have a choice. I am in the same area and don't have them comps for my power.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 PM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
I can't imagine you can make a choice. There will be a single utility supplier to a given address. I have never heard of multiple power suppliers being at the same location. This is pretty well dictated by the public service regulations.

You need to ask the lessor the question specifically.

Both utilities do serve the New Port Richey area, but their service areas would be unique to the given utility. There wouldn't be any overlap.

RM

Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
I haven't heard of being able to make your own choice. I would double check on that as usually one service the area.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I never knew you can have a choice. I am in the same area and don't have them comps for my power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I can't imagine you can make a choice. There will be a single utility supplier to a given address. I have never heard of multiple power suppliers being at the same location. This is pretty well dictated by the public service regulations.

Both utilities do serve the New Port Richey area, but their service areas would be unique to the given utility. There wouldn't be any overlap.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I haven't heard of being able to make your own choice. I would double check on that as usually one service the area.
I am not surprised at the dubious responses (it indeed does reek of suspicion). For the background of what inspired my question, I can only direct everyone to the webpage at the following link:

Electricity company in 34652 zip code - NEW PORT RICHEY Energy Providers -Florida compare plan and rates of txu energy, reliant energy, just energy

Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 AM

984 posts, read 2,713,494 times
Easy to sort out. Call each one and ask them to give you the previous persons average bill. I often do this to get a sense of how much i will need to budget. One of them previously served the address. If the other cannot serve it they will say so.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-of-Stars View Post
Doing online research revealed (correctly? erroneously?) that I can have a choice of energy providers in New Port Richey where I've just been approved for an apartment which will require me to cover my own electricity expenses.

If the information about energy provider choice is "true," and if both services-- "Tampa Electric" and "Florida Power & Light" --are indeed available in, and competing for, the NPR market, then which would I be better going with, factoring everything from bottom-line costs (always the primary incentive), stability/reliability, frequency of [routine] power outages, response time to power restoration in the event of outages, etc.?

Service will be established for a small one bedroom apartment with one full-sized refrigerator/freezer, an electric over/range, and (assume) electric water heater -- with the only other incidental consumptions of power coming from a frequently running home computer network (tower station and laptop) with 5.1 sound system, occasionally a small oscillating fan, and MAYBE (if it ever gets that cold in this part of the country) the occasional use of a small "space heater," outside of the other "normally expected" energy use situations such as lights, battery recharging, alarm clock/radio, etc. (*NO "Televisions" or "Air Conditioners").

Any information, clarifications or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
You can't choose; it's area based. If the house is in FPL you'll have FPL, if not you'll have TECO.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:13 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

RM
This is it. No choices.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
This is it. No choices.
Exactly. I worked with power distribution utilities all over the US and Canada for 20+ years, and I never saw a location that was served by two utilities at the same time.

I checked both utility's web sites for coverage maps, but they don't have them. From their service area descriptions, it sounds like both of them serve areas of NPR, but don't overlap.

If you call one of them with the service address they'll be able to tell who who services it, even if it's not theirs.

RM

Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM

30,452 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You can't choose; it's area based. If the house is in FPL you'll have FPL, if not you'll have TECO.
It could be Withlacoochee as i have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay