Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:03 AM

279 posts, read 508,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The mayors of both cities is trying to make the streets safe for bicyclists......the poster above appears to question the bicyclists' right to be on the streets, I could be mistaken. Bicyclists have the right to be riding on a lot of the streets and drivers fail to give them proper distance when passing and often take away their right-of-way. You don't have to be in California to ride your bike.
You are correct.

Alternate 19 has a bicycle lane on the edge of the street.

Most cyclist follow the rules but I have seen many who don't. For example the cyclist who are road racers have no problem crossing a 4 way stop intersection off the Pinellas trail. Numerous times I am stopped and the cyclist bombs through at high speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
true statements - best to use identified paths, trails instead of the roadways if you can - guess that was the other poster's POV.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 PM

Sad story in today's paper - sickening. I can't imagine the family members, the witnesses, or the driver......what a sad story. It's a wonder that most of us make it through our lives unscathed. Parent's worst nightmare.

Neighbor recalls shock of boy, 20 months old, being struck in Clearwater | Tampa Bay Times

Old 12-18-2015, 07:18 PM

182 posts, read 170,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
I witnessed a terrible accident in Dunedin. Was at a redlight and first in line waiting. To my left (adjacent) a few cyclist crossed the road and the last one was hit by a car doing 35-40 mph. I wish I can unsee this. I pray for the cyclist and his family.
Perhaps I'm interpreting your post wrong, but... if the cyclist was to your left, adjacent, and you were sitting at a red light, then they too, as a vehicle, should have been sitting at the red light. Why were they trying to cross the road on a red light? If they're in the road, they're a vehicle, and should obey the rules of the road. Based on what I've observed, many of them don't.

If you ask me, bicycles should always be ridden on the sidewalk and never on the road (except when crossing the street via the crosswalk). In today's society, there aren't many pedestrians on the sidewalk anymore (especially compared to the number of vehicles on the roadways). Not to mention, if an accident happens...

- Bicycle versus pedestrian: worst case, pedestrian gets a few bumps and bruises, maybe a concussion.

- Bicycle versus motor vehicle: bicyclist death or life-threatening injury.

Who came up with the brilliant idea that bicycles belong in our roadways in the first place?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post

Who came up with the brilliant idea that bicycles belong in our roadways in the first place?
I think a lot of people would disagree with your comment. Bicycles us no gas, are a clean, non-polluting form of transporation, give the rider very good exercise, and most likely the rider pays his share of taxes for the same road that you drive your automobile on.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,398,625 times
Damn. What is Florida turning into?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:34 PM

182 posts, read 170,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think a lot of people would disagree with your comment. Bicycles us no gas, are a clean, non-polluting form of transporation, give the rider very good exercise, and most likely the rider pays his share of taxes for the same road that you drive your automobile on.
I like riding my bike too, and would be OK with everyone riding bicycles instead of driving cars. All I'm saying is, having bikes on the same roadways as heavier, faster moving cars is a recipe for disaster. You wouldn't let your kids ride their tricycle on a go cart track with a fleet of go carts circling the track. It's basically the same principle.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 AM

279 posts, read 508,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
Perhaps I'm interpreting your post wrong, but... if the cyclist was to your left, adjacent, and you were sitting at a red light, then they too, as a vehicle, should have been sitting at the red light. Why were they trying to cross the road on a red light? If they're in the road, they're a vehicle, and should obey the rules of the road. Based on what I've observed, many of them don't.

If you ask me, bicycles should always be ridden on the sidewalk and never on the road (except when crossing the street via the crosswalk). In today's society, there aren't many pedestrians on the sidewalk anymore (especially compared to the number of vehicles on the roadways). Not to mention, if an accident happens...

- Bicycle versus pedestrian: worst case, pedestrian gets a few bumps and bruises, maybe a concussion.

- Bicycle versus motor vehicle: bicyclist death or life-threatening injury.

No, he was at a crosswalk with an OK to cross sign, a few had crossed already along with joggers. It was a 4 way intersection.

I should have explained it better but I was a little shaken up at the time. Sorry.

I disagree on cyclist riding on sidewalk since it's called a sidewalk for a reason. What they should do is start enforcing texting and keeping drivers in check more often.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
FDOT is supporting bicyclists by providing bike lanes where possible. I see no reason for them to be killed. There are some dangerous areas line shared lanes, but most bicyclists will avoid them at all costs. With bike lanes there should be no accidents. Very sad story

Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
In most Cities it's illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. Mostly because it endangers pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay