Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this is a bit long winded, but I could really use some advice.

My boyfriend and I currently live in Austin, TX and we would like to move closer to a beach. We've had our eyes on the Tampa Bay/St Pete area as my boyfriend's sister is moving there as well, and he'd like to be near her.

Currently he has a job which he absolutely despises working for our apartment complex, and due to his employment status with the company he can break our lease with 60 day written notice without any kind of financial penalty, as long as he's still an employee of this company. Basically he's just grinning and bearing it until we move, at which point he'll get another bar-tending job.

However, my work has now thrown a curve ball into the mix by letting us know the client we're contracted to work for has just pulled the plug on the whole project. Basically, my options are to hope for a job in another department at the company I'm currently at, or if one doesn't materialize I'm laid off on 10/16.

Almost every place we have looked at in the Tampa Bay/St Pete area has wanted income verification in order to apply to live there, however we haven't been able to find any work in Florida as of yet. Several potential employers have told us to reapply when we finish our move, however it seems like we can't find a place to rent until we've already got jobs lined up.

Also in our search it seems like we're unable to find anywhere listed as far out as December - it's all listings for rental properties available immediately or, at the furthest out, November 1st. While we have enough money to swing two rents for a month or two, I'd be extremely hesitant to do so as it would put a strain on our finances, even moreso considering we don't have jobs lined up for us in Florida.

Now with my work hitting us with this news, I'm really stumped.

As of right now my bf hasn't yet put in the 60 day notice to vacate.

I'm wondering if I should take a position with the company I'm currently at (if one is offered) and just work until the move, or if I should simply allow myself to be laid off so I can collect unemployment. Unemployment can't be used as income verification at any rental property I've ever seen, but it would give us a small stream of income once we arrived.

My boyfriend is stressing about the whole thing - he's terrified we will put in our 60 day notice and not be able to find a place willing to rent to us in Florida and will wind up living under a bridge forcing people to solve our riddles.

How do other people line up cross-state moves? In my experience I've never had luck finding work in a state I wasn't yet physically located in, and I've always just winged it and moved anyways. To be fair, I've never moved with another person or with a dog, so winging it may not be prudent.

What should we do? Put in the 60 day notice and hope for the best? Not being able to find a place that would rent to us would be a serious, serious issue as we have a dog and a lot of electronics and furniture we'd be hauling with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 03:05 PM

80 posts, read 81,616 times
Camden did not require income verification if you have good credit I'm other corporate place would be the same shop around never hurts to ask good luck

Old 10-04-2016, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
My credit score is very good as is my rental history.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlycomid View Post
Forgive me if this is a bit long winded, but I could really use some advice.

My boyfriend and I currently live in Austin, TX and we would like to move closer to a beach. We've had our eyes on the Tampa Bay/St Pete area as my boyfriend's sister is moving there as well, and he'd like to be near her.

Currently he has a job which he absolutely despises working for our apartment complex, and due to his employment status with the company he can break our lease with 60 day written notice without any kind of financial penalty, as long as he's still an employee of this company. Basically he's just grinning and bearing it until we move, at which point he'll get another bar-tending job.

However, my work has now thrown a curve ball into the mix by letting us know the client we're contracted to work for has just pulled the plug on the whole project. Basically, my options are to hope for a job in another department at the company I'm currently at, or if one doesn't materialize I'm laid off on 10/16.

Almost every place we have looked at in the Tampa Bay/St Pete area has wanted income verification in order to apply to live there, however we haven't been able to find any work in Florida as of yet. Several potential employers have told us to reapply when we finish our move, however it seems like we can't find a place to rent until we've already got jobs lined up.

Also in our search it seems like we're unable to find anywhere listed as far out as December - it's all listings for rental properties available immediately or, at the furthest out, November 1st. While we have enough money to swing two rents for a month or two, I'd be extremely hesitant to do so as it would put a strain on our finances, even moreso considering we don't have jobs lined up for us in Florida.

Now with my work hitting us with this news, I'm really stumped.

As of right now my bf hasn't yet put in the 60 day notice to vacate.

I'm wondering if I should take a position with the company I'm currently at (if one is offered) and just work until the move, or if I should simply allow myself to be laid off so I can collect unemployment. Unemployment can't be used as income verification at any rental property I've ever seen, but it would give us a small stream of income once we arrived.

My boyfriend is stressing about the whole thing - he's terrified we will put in our 60 day notice and not be able to find a place willing to rent to us in Florida and will wind up living under a bridge forcing people to solve our riddles.

How do other people line up cross-state moves? In my experience I've never had luck finding work in a state I wasn't yet physically located in, and I've always just winged it and moved anyways. To be fair, I've never moved with another person or with a dog, so winging it may not be prudent.

What should we do? Put in the 60 day notice and hope for the best? Not being able to find a place that would rent to us would be a serious, serious issue as we have a dog and a lot of electronics and furniture we'd be hauling with us.
Florida pays real low and housing is going up move if you have money in the bank and a job-Florida is real hot and beach places to rent are real expensive. I moved no job and 2 dogs but did buy a house. then got a job so it did work for me but I put lots down to get the home also-Publix does hire and always ends in a great place to work the bad it is part time.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-04-2016 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 PM

50 posts, read 78,039 times
My wife and I moved here a year ago from Austin, TX also. Neither one of us had jobs but on a trip down here to look at places a couple months before we moved, we found an apartment we wanted and they leased to us based on a certain amount of average monthly money in our bank accounts. Just do what we did and tell the leasing company/apartment complex/landlord etc. the situation and see what they will do and or recommend. Message me if you have questions.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W&AE View Post
My wife and I moved here a year ago from Austin, TX also. Neither one of us had jobs but on a trip down here to look at places a couple months before we moved, we found an apartment we wanted and they leased to us based on a certain amount of average monthly money in our bank accounts. Just do what we did and tell the leasing company/apartment complex/landlord etc. the situation and see what they will do and or recommend. Message me if you have questions.
Just curious...what made you leave Austin? It's a growing city where people seem to be moving to!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 AM

163 posts, read 183,955 times
I live in Northeast St. Pete close to downtown, and most of the rentals in this area are not posted anywhere online. You have to drive by and get the information from signs out front. I'm assuming some of them, especially the rentals by owner, will not be as strict for income requirements.

If you really want to move here, I would rent a very small, affordable place by the month on airbnb, and then find something more permanent once you get down here. As far as jobs go, if you're in the service industry and want to live in/near downtown St. Pete, this is a great time to come because it's about to be busy season. If you're looking for a 9-5 office job, Austin is going to have many, many, many more opportunities and will likely offer much higher salaries.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:29 AM

50 posts, read 78,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Just curious...what made you leave Austin? It's a growing city where people seem to be moving to!

That's why lol. Actually we both had some great opportunities here, we are young and didn't want to regret not trying something new.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 PM

67 posts, read 60,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
I live in Northeast St. Pete close to downtown, and most of the rentals in this area are not posted anywhere online. You have to drive by and get the information from signs out front. I'm assuming some of them, especially the rentals by owner, will not be as strict for income requirements.

If you really want to move here, I would rent a very small, affordable place by the month on airbnb, and then find something more permanent once you get down here. As far as jobs go, if you're in the service industry and want to live in/near downtown St. Pete, this is a great time to come because it's about to be busy season. If you're looking for a 9-5 office job, Austin is going to have many, many, many more opportunities and will likely offer much higher salaries.
The Air B&B concept is a great idea for temporary housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: