Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:47 AM

12 posts, read 12,936 times

Advertisements

Thanks for stopping by my thread! I am in desperate need of advice and assistance as this is a huge decision in my life and I don't want to make the wrong decision again! My husband and I moved to Virginia almost theee years ago and it has been the worst 2 1/2 years of our lives! We live right outside Richmond VA in Chester but recently moved from North Chesterfield; well actually borderline South Richmond( herendous) area btw! Chester is much better but still Virginia has been the thorn in our flesh for far too long.

I am African American and my husband is Dominican and I honestly don't believe Virginia is truly a place for lovers as their motto frequently states. I won't get too much into this but I'll say this, we are from New York originally and it's s HUGE culture shock living down here! Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to live in NY much longer but I would give anything to live in a place similar to NY in terms of cultural diversity. I believe that NY gives everyone opportunities no matter their race and it's not like that here. I bet other states are probably similar as well but not 100% sure.

Below, I've listed the top things that are most important to us, while considering our move. In the subject, I listed the top places were most interested in living so far.

Cultural Diversity-
We want to move to a nice state that is culturally diverse! This is of the utmost importance, as we don't want to feel singled out because of our race or because we are interracial couple. We would love to have friends of All Nations or a couple at least, not just black and or Spanish because we are black and or Spanish but in VA that's how it is. Everyone sticks to their own! We're not used to that being New Yorkers! We want diversity. We would love to see interracial couples together and interracial friends, etc. it shows us that the community is open and accepting and makes us feel comfortable being there.

Economy-
We want to move to a state with a booming or at least decent economy. Virginias economy is so-so but it's good for some cultures while others have a harder time finding work. I've been out of work since October which is surprising given my background in recruiting and Human Resources but it is what it is. My husband has a Bachelors degree and the only job he was able to get was working as a packer in Amazon fulfillment warehouse. I also have a Bachelors degree in HRM and over 11 years recruiting but still no luck landing permanent employment.

Crime Rate- open to high rate if we can live in suburban area
We wanna live somewhere that has a decent crime rate . We know that's hard to find these days especially thinking in terms of diversity. We have researched and it seems that the most diverse areas usually have higher crime rate which sucks big time but it's true. However we are willing to accept that over living in a place that we don't feel 100% accepted in. We're from NY once again and their crime rate is pretty high but we both lived in pretty cool and safe neighborhoods so we can probably deal with it.

Suburban living BUT feels like a big city-
As Former New Yorkers were used to living a big city lifestyle, in an over populated places, having to use mass-transit to commute, dealing with long lines while shopping, walking everywhere by foot etc. We can pretty much handle living in another huge city once again but would prefer something just a bit smaller than NY but larger than VA, something with more amenities, more entertainment, more shopping malls. Shopping is important as I am a full time reseller so having access to high-end big box retail shops is very important. NY Cali hands down has the best shopping! But any city other than Cali on my list with HIGH End retail store me that sell clothing brands like Free People, Boston Proper, Eilieen Fisher, Anthropologie, etc. Lol we don't shop at these places! Can't afford them and wouldn't if I could affford them but again as a reseller it's highly important that we leave access to these types of brands.

Cost of Living-
This should have been number one on my list Lol! Goodness my husband and I aren't wealthy my any means. Again, he works for Amazon and I am unemployed right now so we can't afford an expensive place BUT safety is somewhat of importance and suburban living is a must so we will be renting and living in an apartment with a budget of only $900-$1100 to work with and that is on the higher end. We would much rather be paying between $650-800. I know we won't probably find that in Cali but maybe a Florida, NC, or TX. Easier budget to work with but we understand that might be not possible to find.

Naturalistic Beauty-
I can honestly say that there is one thing that I love about VA and it's the beauty of nature. There are trees everywhere. We love nature! Having trees around is beautiful. Additionally, mountains and body's of waters are nice as well. I know that NC is beautiful like VA when it comes to trees and Fl has the oceans. Cali has the mountains. Not sure what beauty TX would have to offer us.

Weather-
NO COLD weather! I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to NY 10 years ago and moved again to VA almost three years ago. Chicago and New York weather is crazy cold, well Chicagos the worst! New York is second and VA surprised me. I thought the weather was supposed to be warmer here but it gets quite cold. We are ready to move on to a warmer city. Florida and Texas have warm weather. Cali and NC weather seems decent as well.

So that's it!!! If anyone can give me some advice it will be greatly appreciated! I listed our top States in the subject box and we are so torn between all of them! They all seem decent. We just don't wanna make the wrong choice. We moved to VA because a friend of mine moved here and recommended it and she loves it but it's not for everyone. We want to base on decision on logic and facts this time. So again, thank you so much for reading and for helping. We have been researching for weeks as know that some of the most best places to lived seem to be all located in California but I don't know if we can afford any city in Cali.
There has to be other places besides California that have everything on my list if possible.

Thank you so much for helping us��!!
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
I'd suggest you look into Charlotte NC. or even Atlanta...California would be way too expensive for you so I would rule it out.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,723,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'd suggest you look into Charlotte NC. or even Atlanta...California would be way too expensive for you so I would rule it out.
This^^^^^ However, know that Charlotte and Atlanta can get chilly and occasional snow from time to time. I would suggest Florida, but the wages are pretty suppressed for the most part. That doesn't mean you can't make a decent living it just means you'll have to look harder for those good paying jobs. California has good paying jobs, but as mentioned before the cost of living is pretty expensive. Texas may actually be a good spot for you. Check out Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This^^^^^ However, know that Charlotte and Atlanta can get chilly and occasional snow from time to time. I would suggest Florida, but the wages are pretty suppressed for the most part. That doesn't mean you can't make a decent living it just means you'll have to look harder for those good paying jobs. California has good paying jobs, but as mentioned before the cost of living is pretty expensive. Texas may actually be a good spot for you. Check out Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.
Are the wages suppressed? Bf is a public school teacher Tampa, - earned 49k this year. no state taxes. Loves his job.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Are the wages suppressed? Bf is a public school teacher Tampa, - earned 49k this year. no state taxes. Loves his job.
That's why I said it wasn't impossible to find a good paying job in Florida, you just have to work a bit harder to find them. It's the best of both worlds when you can do it.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 PM

89 posts, read 95,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginaNOTforlovers34 View Post

Cultural Diversity-
We want to move to a nice state that is culturally diverse! This is of the utmost importance, as we don't want to feel singled out because of our race or because we are interracial couple. We would love to have friends of All Nations or a couple at least, not just black and or Spanish because we are black and or Spanish but in VA that's how it is. Everyone sticks to their own! We're not used to that being New Yorkers! We want diversity. We would love to see interracial couples together and interracial friends, etc. it shows us that the community is open and accepting and makes us feel comfortable being there.

Economy-
We want to move to a state with a booming or at least decent economy. Virginias economy is so-so but it's good for some cultures while others have a harder time finding work. I've been out of work since October which is surprising given my background in recruiting and Human Resources but it is what it is. My husband has a Bachelors degree and the only job he was able to get was working as a packer in Amazon fulfillment warehouse. I also have a Bachelors degree in HRM and over 11 years recruiting but still no luck landing permanent employment.

Crime Rate- open to high rate if we can live in suburban area
We wanna live somewhere that has a decent crime rate . We know that's hard to find these days especially thinking in terms of diversity. We have researched and it seems that the most diverse areas usually have higher crime rate which sucks big time but it's true. However we are willing to accept that over living in a place that we don't feel 100% accepted in. We're from NY once again and their crime rate is pretty high but we both lived in pretty cool and safe neighborhoods so we can probably deal with it.

Suburban living BUT feels like a big city-
As Former New Yorkers were used to living a big city lifestyle, in an over populated places, having to use mass-transit to commute, dealing with long lines while shopping, walking everywhere by foot etc. We can pretty much handle living in another huge city once again but would prefer something just a bit smaller than NY but larger than VA, something with more amenities, more entertainment, more shopping malls. Shopping is important as I am a full time reseller so having access to high-end big box retail shops is very important. NY Cali hands down has the best shopping! But any city other than Cali on my list with HIGH End retail store me that sell clothing brands like Free People, Boston Proper, Eilieen Fisher, Anthropologie, etc. Lol we don't shop at these places! Can't afford them and wouldn't if I could affford them but again as a reseller it's highly important that we leave access to these types of brands.

Cost of Living-
This should have been number one on my list Lol! Goodness my husband and I aren't wealthy my any means. Again, he works for Amazon and I am unemployed right now so we can't afford an expensive place BUT safety is somewhat of importance and suburban living is a must so we will be renting and living in an apartment with a budget of only $900-$1100 to work with and that is on the higher end. We would much rather be paying between $650-800. I know we won't probably find that in Cali but maybe a Florida, NC, or TX. Easier budget to work with but we understand that might be not possible to find.

Naturalistic Beauty-
I can honestly say that there is one thing that I love about VA and it's the beauty of nature. There are trees everywhere. We love nature! Having trees around is beautiful. Additionally, mountains and body's of waters are nice as well. I know that NC is beautiful like VA when it comes to trees and Fl has the oceans. Cali has the mountains. Not sure what beauty TX would have to offer us.

Weather-
NO COLD weather! I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to NY 10 years ago and moved again to VA almost three years ago. Chicago and New York weather is crazy cold, well Chicagos the worst! New York is second and VA surprised me. I thought the weather was supposed to be warmer here but it gets quite cold. We are ready to move on to a warmer city. Florida and Texas have warm weather. Cali and NC weather seems decent as well.
Almost everything you listed above sounds like Houston, Texas.

Cultural Diversity?

Houston Surpasses New York And Los Angeles As The 'Most Diverse In Nation' | The Huffington Post

Economy?

Houston Best City In America - Business Insider

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...mies-list.html

Crime Rate?

Not the best, not the worst.

Suburban living BUT feels like a big city?

This shows Houston and its suburbs on a world scale:

As If You Needed It, Further Proof That Houston Is So Much Bigger Than Most Cities

Cost of Living?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#2b987f6284a8

Naturalistic Beauty?

This one... not so much. Houston has proximity to the Gulf of Mexico which is a 45 minute drive. It has access to the Texas Hill Country near Austin which is a 3 hour drive, and it has access to the mountainous/desertous areas of Big Bend which is a day trip, but Houston itself is flat and relatively ugly.

Weather?

I've lived in Houston for a decade now and can count the number of Ice and Snow days that we've had on one hand. It gets extremely hot during the summer months (June/July/August/September being the worst) but the rest of the year is generally gorgeous.

All of the above not to mention that Houston is home to the largest medical centers in the world http://www.tmc.edu/, it's home to one of the best arts scenes outside of New York Washington Avenue Arts District » Where Art Happens in Houston, and it's home to some of the best food in the country https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/t...-eat.html?_r=0

As a Florida native, I'd rather live in Florida, but Texas hasn't been a bad substitute!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 PM

992 posts, read 875,288 times
Other than cost of living, California wins in every category.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
How are public schools in souther California in general - LA?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I agree that California wins with the exception of cost of living. It loses Bigly there! To the OP; I got a chuckle out of your name!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM

992 posts, read 875,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
How are public schools in souther California in general - LA?
It really depends on the district. I always recommend South Pasadena--a pleasant little town with great schools right on the metro line between Downtown LA and Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay