Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 621 times

Advertisements

We are going to be buying a home in South Tampa. I am ultimately looking for a home that I can renovate a little and add value to. I'm looking for some opinions and advice on really good areas to raise our kids, and where I can buy a more run down or an older home in a really nice area. Any advice on great areas to look is really appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Buy the crappiest house on the best street you can afford. For example, buy a fixer upper in Bayshore Beautiful, Swann Estates, Palma Ceia, Sunset Park, Beach Park, places like that. And watch your value skyrocket and realtors/developers beg you to sell.
Since you have kids, I highly recommend buying in a neighborhood that has sidewalks. Also make sure the street does not flood in heavy rains.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:13 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
Port Tampa is hot rite now.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:24 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
In South Tampa with homes that aren't as nice as the rest of South Tampa? Carver City

EDIT: After researching where the area is, it misses South Tampa by about four blocks or so.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM
KPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
In South Tampa with homes that aren't as nice as the rest of South Tampa? Carver City

EDIT: After researching where the area is, it misses South Tampa by about four blocks or so.
I'd agree but if your talking a few blocks north of Kennedy then I'd suggest North Hyde Park area, in the Mitchell, Wilson, and Plant School district's since OP has kids.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I'd agree but if your talking a few blocks north of Kennedy then I'd suggest North Hyde Park area, in the Mitchell, Wilson, and Plant School district's since OP has kids.
Can you find these "run down" houses OP is asking for in that area? I'm really not familiar with South Tampa and just north.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:00 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Can you find these "run down" houses OP is asking for in that area? I'm really not familiar with South Tampa and just north.
There is always a bad peach in any hood. Even Danashores had a few fixer uppers in my 41 years living there.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:00 AM
KPB

Quote:
You can probably find a run down house in just about every neighborhood. One important thing we don't know is the OP's budget though.
Carver City/Lincoln Gardens is primarily an African American neighborhood, not that there is anything wrong w/ that, OP might be African American and looking for just that.
The area just north of Kennedy and south of 275 (or even better to be south of Cypress), and between Howard and N. Boulevard use to be considered part of West Tampa but has been changed and now called "North Hyde Park", its a pretty good location, walk/bike to Water Works Park, SoHo, downtown,etc. Also zoned for the best Schools in the County IMO.

Schiller's Salvage is on Cypress in what they now call North Hyde Park, its a cool place(warehouse) to walk around in and get lost, you might wanna check it out sometime. He's got a bunch of old materials from the old Belleview/Biltmore Hotel they just tore down by Clearwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay