Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:05 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
I think it's changed just a bit since he was working there at the bait shop back then, but some stretches of it harbors some shady activity... from just barely north just pass the older Coconut Grove smaller business center to almost Roosevelt...esp around that smaller park.
I never worked there i sold from going fishing on 2 and 3 day fishing trips on party boats. Glad i stopped selling fish there as the FED's were watching that place around 1999 thru 2000 and busted many people selling fish under the table. The bait and tackle place also got a big fine and could no longer sell fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 05:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
That's a total myth. Crime and criminal activity (of all sorts, including white collar) is never 'compartmentalized'. That's like saying out of sight, out of mind

I'm not blind to the portability and mobility of criminal activity, and I would never support any notion that 'better areas' translates into automatic safety or good character....not in Florida and certainly not in St. Petersburg. That's naive
Not saying it's an automatic safety anywhere...but if you live well inside an area say Crescent Lake or St.Paul/Euclid...and employ common sense you can live an uneventful existence..

Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
I bought lots of great fish there for years LOL
Well if you bought grouper or snapper they could have been mine from around 1992 till 97.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:01 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree in part. Living "well inside" a few of these areas you touted is one thing,, getting there and the surrounds/environment is quite another. That's my point. These areas don't exist as isolated pockets of the immediate surrounding community. That's bs.

Employing "common sense" does not inoculate a resident from criminality, immoral behavior, bad actors, bad neighbors, freaks, or even predators or scamsters.

Criminals and low-lifes don't care if you exercise common sense because they KNOW that common sense is not so common.
Yes we disagree...I'm originally from NYC perhaps I've built up a higher tolerance...If the real estate market in the 32604 is any indicator I think more people agree with me...but true it's not for everyone...500k buys you very little down in that hood...

Old 05-07-2021, 01:07 AM

214 posts, read 260,555 times
Going back to the original title of the forum "How Has St. Petersburg Changed?",and I mean physically. Is its downtown expanding west? south? north? I see on a few pics and videos what appears to be significant construction along Central Avenue heading west.

Is that accurate?

Any other areas?

Thank you

Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 AM

[quote=Option Trader;60989741]Physically changed? yes, like most of Florida, e.g. more construction on condos mainly in the DT area. Lots of ill-planned zero-setback high density design. Urban-like vertical packing.

where else other than DT area?
Only other place I have only seen condos is in Puerta del Sol, Bayway Isles and then by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. None of those 3 look anything urban like to me though

Old 05-08-2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Physically changed? yes, like most of Florida, e.g. more construction on condos mainly in the DT area. Lots of ill-planned zero-setback high density design. Urban-like vertical packing.

Physically changed? one-way streets still screwed up...parking issues.

This isn't affecting "Changing St Pete" exclusively.

Any Urban like settlement here in the US and abroad deals with the same issues: Traffic, parking, congested public services, etc.

Is there anything legally. financially documented on those "ill planned/zero set back high rises? perhalps insurance related assessments? Risk Management?

I can understand some folks may not like them for aesthetical reasons

I am curious to see how any of this have caused detriment to local businesses, neighbors, public services, etc. On pictures and videos, i see wide sidewalks, plenty of traffic lights, adequate circulation, public lighting, etc. but to your point we cannot see safety issues or compromised quality of life in pictures.

YOUR question was about St. Petersburg not all of Pinellas County. Physical changes have had. less impact on the citizenry, their safety and quality of life than character transformation, leadership, and well-being.
Yes, you are correct. I am not attracted to rural or semi rural FL
Only urban centers, but I have seen, learned how South St Pete has been left behind and also how rowdy some of those areas are.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
[quote=Alfiehurt;60996095]
Quote:
Physically changed? yes, like most of Florida, e.g. more construction on condos mainly in the DT area. Lots of ill-planned zero-setback high density design. Urban-like vertical packing.

where else other than DT area?
Only other place I have only seen condos is in Puerta del Sol, Bayway Isles and then by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. None of those 3 look anything urban like to me though
the US needs more urban development and areas. People are tired of highways and driving.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:00 PM

@Option Trader

Please be mindful of what you type and how you edit it and your choice of words

I guess you meant it for another member 071402 but that does not entitle you to go on ranting about newcomers or non native FL in general and insult all of us all the same

Edit your wrongfully edited quote attributed to me by mistake, please

Old 05-09-2021, 01:01 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
Going back to the original title of the forum "How Has St. Petersburg Changed?",and I mean physically. Is its downtown expanding west? south? north? I see on a few pics and videos what appears to be significant construction along Central Avenue heading west.

Is that accurate?

Any other areas?

Thank you
Yes, that’s accurate. There has been a lot of construction along Central Ave in recent years all the way through the Grand Central District. St. Pete is filling out very nicely with a number of new buildings currently under construction or planned. I look forward to seeing downtown in 3 years when it’s done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay