Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

Looking for a family friendly community to raise young children maybe Tampa area, close to shopping areas. I have a friend who lives in Valrico and loves it but the homes seem very dated. I know most areas have association fees which I'm not against but I want to make sure its a good association with events that will go on with in the community. Looking from Tampa- Sarasota areas with a 400k budget.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM

390 posts, read 399,185 times
What size home are you looking for? Pool, no pool? Working and will need to find a job to commute to, work from home, or retired? These kinds of things will help people narrow things down a bit for you.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,410,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvans View Post
Looking for a family friendly community to raise young children maybe Tampa area, close to shopping areas. I have a friend who lives in Valrico and loves it but the homes seem very dated. I know most areas have association fees which I'm not against but I want to make sure its a good association with events that will go on with in the community. Looking from Tampa- Sarasota areas with a 400k budget.

TIA
Depends on what part of Valrico they live in. Some areas are quite old, many are less than 10 years old.

If you like this part of the county, I would suggest taking a look at Bloomingdale East or Fishhawk Ranch. Both areas have homes in and below the amount you mentioned.

As the previous poster mentioned, more information is ideal, especially if you're commuting. Traffic is nightmarish here.

RM

Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Husband is a contractor, so not sure how much commuting will be going on. Hoping to build business in the area. Pool would be ideal Im just looking for somewhere, where there's lots to do for kids. I know this is going to sound crazy but I want neighborhood where kids come to trick or treat on halloween. I live in an area where no one answers the doors for tick or treaters and its really upsetting.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Husband is a contractor, so not sure how much commuting will be going on. Hoping to build business in the area. Pool would be ideal Im just looking for somewhere, where there's lots to do for kids. I know this is going to sound crazy but I want neighborhood where kids come to trick or treat on halloween. I live in an area where no one answers the doors for tick or treaters and its really upsetting.
Bloomingdale East. YMCA and little league in the community, lots of families, plenty of Trick or Treaters.

Good place to start:

Bloomingdale Homeowners Association

RM

Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 PM

390 posts, read 399,185 times
Quote:
If you're willing to go as far south as Sarasota, you'd definitely like GreyHawk Landing in eastern Manatee County (east of Bradenton, just north of Lakewood Ranch) if you're looking for things for the kids to do. Very family-friendly community. Trick-or-treaters welcomed by many homes in the neighborhood. They also have a Halloween costume party each year for adults and kids. Some people even go all out with their Halloween displays.

More info on GHL: GreyHawk Landing Lifestyle and video at https://vimeo.com/84476041

If you're looking for something closer to Tampa, Fishhawk Ranch would probably be most comparable: https://www.fishhawkranch.com/whats-here/

Old 03-25-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
If you're looking for something closer to Tampa, Fishhawk Ranch would probably be most comparable: https://www.fishhawkranch.com/whats-here/

Only problem with Fishhawk, as nice as it is, is the caste system that exists in portions of it as well as the schools. I worked in the schools in Bloomingdale and never encountered behavior like that.

I've related my experiences with the schools and the kids referring to the "ghetto", which in reality is the first section of Fishhawk that was built.

Some "ghetto". :roll eyes:

RM

Old 03-26-2019, 11:15 AM

so the students refer to this section of Fishhawk ghetto? which section is this? how do I know which areas are more desirable than others. I also want a home that will hit all the marks for the next buyer. I know some areas are tainted with stigmas that don't appeal to all buyers.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
so the students refer to this section of Fishhawk ghetto? which section is this? how do I know which areas are more desirable than others. I also want a home that will hit all the marks for the next buyer. I know some areas are tainted with stigmas that don't appeal to all buyers.
With HOA and CDD fees, at a budget of $400k you're going to be on the very bottom end of Fishhawk Ranch properties unless you're looking for a condo.

Again, look at Bloomingdale East - a wide range of homes that are well within your budget, excellent schools, a YMCA , little league and community parks. Plenty of shopping and restaurants close by as well and an easy drive to I-75 and Tampa.

RM

Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,204,202 times
Quote:
If I were you, I would take Morton's advice very seriously. He's lived in the area for many years. He's worked in both the public and private (or semi-private) sectors in the Tampa Bay area. He's raised a family here. He's bought and sold real estate in the more eastern part of Hillsborough County. He's a realist, not a cynic. He doesn't have an axe to grind. (at least, not that I know of) He's a wealth of knowledge and experience. He likes to help people and give them realistic information. He does this on his own dime.

I realize, that as a new poster on the board, you would have no way of knowing his background and experience. So that's why I'm telling you. And no, he's not paying me to sing his praises.

If he says Bloomingdale East, you can take it to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay