Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 12:04 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
You can still eat well for under $10 if y ou do your own cooking-steak,fish,chicken.

Chicken, yes. Beef, except ground, runs $9.99 or more per pound. Fish runs $7.99 or more depending on which species. Add veggie, fruit, drink and most meals will run for more than $10 a person here in Tampa Bay. And that is cooking at home, not adding in the cost of the storage/cooking itself.

Unless, of course, you're buying crap that's not edible without a lot of effort.

Meals would be dull if everything was chicken or ground beef.

As I said, cost of food here is up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 12:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Rents will be coming down gents when housing takes a dump.
Not a chance. Homes are leveling off but rents are still increasing.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:32 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,846,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Chicken, yes. Beef, except ground, runs $9.99 or more per pound. Fish runs $7.99 or more depending on which species. Add veggie, fruit, drink and most meals will run for more than $10 a person here in Tampa Bay. And that is cooking at home, not adding in the cost of the storage/cooking itself.

Unless, of course, you're buying crap that's not edible without a lot of effort.

Meals would be dull if everything was chicken or ground beef.

As I said, cost of food here is up.

Cost of food is up HERE, but it's less in other places. Produce in California and meats are cheaper than here.

Beef prices are gonna get worse.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/04/beef-p...years-experts/

And the American consumer is fighting back by eating out.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/food-i...-than-dine-in/

Old 08-22-2022, 05:53 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Not a chance. Homes are leveling off but rents are still increasing.
You will see magee.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Florida is now almost as expensive as California. I was in Northern California this summer for several weeks and the food prices there were lower than here (makes sense, since much of our produce, nuts, dairy etc. are grown there). They were selling a dozen avocados there for $1. Strawberries, stone fruit, leafy greens were dirt cheap (we are getting ripped off here on groceries big time). And the wages in California are MUCH higher than Florida. I can't tell you how many signs I saw in fast food and other retail windows that said "Now hiring; starting at $23 an hour".

Try finding a fast food job in Tampa where they pay you $23 an hour! LOL!!!!!!!!!

However gas was def. more pricey there than here. And real estate prices there are bonkers, since people are still apparently interested in living there (despite the media BS about people fleeing Calif.).

But many Florida employers are still paying people as though it's still 1997. Florida is a completely different animal now. I wonder where all the workers servicing the wealthy will live? Is it better to earn $12 an hour flipping burgers in Florida or $23 an hour flipping burgers in California?
I am just glad we are retired, and own our homes. I really feel for the working class who are priced out of virtually everything. Food prices are crazy here now. My brother-in-law lived in SF for decades in the ghetto (which was still very pricey) however he could get GREAT food for cheap. He moved back to the midwest now - tired of stepping over the feces and needles lol)

Old 08-26-2022, 01:37 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Many communities in the US have this problem: people who work in an area cannot afford to live there.

The average commute in Tampa is 24 minutes, which is less than the national average.

NYC workers routinely have commutes of 1 hour or more.

The longer commute is the price you pay for a larger home and more open space.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:39 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,265 times
COL in Florida is not much cheaper than Cali once you factor in the wage difference. Not minimum wage jobs, but professional jobs across most sectors.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:05 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Many communities in the US have this problem: people who work in an area cannot afford to live there.

The average commute in Tampa is 24 minutes, which is less than the national average.

Maybe if you live within the city of Tampa in an apt close by your job. I don't live there but have Family in Pasco and I can tell you 24 commutes for many is NOT the norm in the Tampa metro area. I75 can be gridlock near I4 at times, especially around 5.

I'm from St. Louis which is roughly same size metro area and traffic is NOTHING like Tampa metros.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:58 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,265 times
Workers are leaving, but retirees are moving in at a faster pace. Middle class workers like teachers cannot afford a home here, but retirees are not dependent on our wages so it is better for them than Cali or NY.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

New Yorkers move to suburb not just for larger home and space but for raising a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay