Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 15,071 times

Advertisements

Me and a few friends are wanting to go camping. We aren't looking for a retiree RV park type of place. Somewhere we can just tent camp, have a campfire and a good time. The more "rustic" the better. Any one have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I know people that rough it in the Ocala National Forest (a lot). Sorry, that's all I know about it.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakermx View Post
Me and a few friends are wanting to go camping. We aren't looking for a retiree RV park type of place. Somewhere we can just tent camp, have a campfire and a good time. The more "rustic" the better. Any one have any ideas?
If you go to Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica there's a map there that you can view the whole state and show you where campgrounds are located and what amenities are available at the places. My personal favorite is Bahia Honda in the Florida Keys. If you can get a campsite on the water there, it's spectacular. We make fires, cookout, and go snorkeling or hangout at the beach in the daytime.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 AM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
Can't you camp somwhere near the everglades?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 AM

76 posts, read 331,280 times
Fort DeSoto.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground

I would staty away from Ocala.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Anastasia up near St. Augustine and Tomoka state park in Daytona. Those were some of our favorite hang outs with the beaches nearby during the day and just hanging out with friends at night still feeling like your in the secluded woods.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM

84 posts, read 384,314 times
Chassahowitzka River Campground is really nice.....N on US 19 about an hour and 15 minutes from Dunedin. It has full and tent camping, boat and canoe rentals and a little dive bar right around the corner that always has something going on...it's called Jake's. You can have fires and there is lots of trees and it is a gorgeous river and we have even seen fireflies there.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM

161 posts, read 384,244 times
We went camping in Ocala at Juniper River and it was wonderful! We also did the Everglades and Oscar Scherer State Park both were pretty good. Everglades is pretty boring unless you like fishing. There are also two campsites up north that are suppose to be pretty cool. I know someone mentioned Reserve.gov, that's where I would go. Lots of great info! Have fun!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
I am going to Bahia Honda in December... can't wait!!!!!! There's the Dry Tortugas, of course (take out what you take in)... great state parks in Florida... you will find what you are looking for.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
I am going to Bahia Honda in December... can't wait!!!!!! There's the Dry Tortugas, of course (take out what you take in)... great state parks in Florida... you will find what you are looking for.
Careful for the sand fleas. Oh they were horrible. Just in the camping area though. We had a campsite right on the edge of the water looking at the bridge so maybe the water had something to do with it. The beach part was fine though. I enjoyed it other than those sand fleas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay