Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 PM

15 posts, read 225,944 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a teacher in the Miami area, considering a prospective job in North Pasco (Shady Hills area). I am single and in my early 30's, and would rather live closer to Tampa where there is more to do. (Just having trouble getting into Hillsborough Schools.) Where would be a realistic location to rent an apartment within 45 minutes or less? (It is just off the Suncoast Pkwy) I'd like to live in an area that is close to shopping, restaurants, starbucks, movies, etc. rather than in the country. The Trinity area on SR 54 really seems to have some possibilities. Are there any other areas that might fit my description? Would Citrus Park be really far? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to get out of Southeast Florida! Can't wait to hear from you!

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
Shady Hills is right next to Spring Hill. It isn't any closer to Tampa. But by all means get out of Miami and come to the area. Tampa Bay has everything to offer Miami does. Don't listen to the naysayers. Its a solid place. There is also some neat places up here on the nature coast.

The area around Shady Hills would be Brooksville, Spring Hill, New Port Richey, Hudson, Masaryktown, Land O Lakes, and possibly Lutz(Tampa suburb). There are no apartments in Shady Hills. The town is a spread out urban area mostly field with bigger lots and mobile homes. Overtime people have removed more and more mobile homes and built houses on their property. Spring Hill has some newer apartments right next to County Line RD where Shady Hills starts. Now there are some newer housing divisions in Shady Hills towards Moonlake and Tampa.

Shady Hills also has Crews Lake Park which is gorgeous and filled with huge Florida oaks draped in Spanish Moss, with walking trails, playground, picnic areas, a tower and stuff like that. If you're in Shady Hills you're also in between Hudson Beach and Pine Island(Spring Hills beach). As well as some clear rivers where you can swim or rent boats and stuff. Its a mighty fine area indeed. I think you would be crazy to stay in Miami and pay those prices over the Tampa area.

Tampa isn't that far from Spring Hill either. You can get there from US 19 or the newer Suncoast Highway. On the Suncoast toll rd its about a thirty minute drive to get in to Tampa. This area is less expensive than Tampa, and it has smaller beaches. A lot less jobs. But okay shopping and suff. Shady Hills doesn't have anything of its own though as far as that goes. Only gas stations. Its basically an extension of Spring Hill. Kinda like the country area of Spring Hill.

Someone else could probably help you better with the areas along the way if you're taking the back roads to Tampa. Ive traveled them a lot but I tend to use visualizations to know where im going rather than street names. So im not good at giving directions.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-22-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM

thanks for the advice. sounds nice there. if i'm offered the job, i'll take it! the position requires teaching 1 day a week in land o lakes, so i thought if i found an apartment off 54 near trinity, i would be half way in between... then i could have the best of both worlds.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,598,364 times
Citrus Park is not that far away provided you stay around the Veterans Expressway aka Suncoast Parkway. Personally, I think your instincts are good in that you're looking to drive against the majority of the commuter traffic. I think there are also some relatively new apartment/condos near the Suncoast and Hwy 52, but there's not a lot of retail around there yet, but it's coming in the future!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Hi. I live in SH in Hernando county and my BIL actually lives off of Shady Hills Road. It is still considered SH, but in Pasco county and it takes him about 15 minutes or so to get to me. I live near 50 (cortez) where most of the shopping is located. (Aside from 19) Whenever he wants to go to Starbucks or Panera, he comes all of the way over by me because there is no shopping over near him (he is off of 52 if that helps). Citrus park is about 30-35 minutes away, but right off the suncoast, so it is a straight run. My DH drives to work everyday right near the Tampa airport. It takes him 45 minutes door to door. SH is huge! Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 AM

I just have one question.... WHERE ARE ALL THE PALM TREES? i was in St Pete a week ago and drove up to spring hill (very long drive), but the further north i got, the more scarce the beautiful palm trees were. in miami they are in every median, in every yard. i felt like i was in georgia

on another note, does anyone think st pete is run down, or was that just my view off the expressway? Seemed like there were lots of buildings boarded up. are there nice areas in st pete too? (besides the beach!)

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 AM

78 posts, read 242,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan_girl View Post
I just have one question.... WHERE ARE ALL THE PALM TREES? i was in St Pete a week ago and drove up to spring hill (very long drive), but the further north i got, the more scarce the beautiful palm trees were. in miami they are in every median, in every yard. i felt like i was in georgia

on another note, does anyone think st pete is run down, or was that just my view off the expressway? Seemed like there were lots of buildings boarded up. are there nice areas in st pete too? (besides the beach!)

I live in Trinity and have an office in St. Pete. Actually, IMHO, downtown St. Pete. has improved greatly over the years.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,451 times
If you are a young, hip, cosmopolitan type who likes culture, book stores and fashion, Spring Hill is not the place for you. It is a pretty town but lacking in the areas I just mentioned. Don't know about the rest but S.H., Brookesville, Masaryktown are more country so I would try to stay closer to Tampa where there is more of the above. Hope that helps.

No palms up that way either. :-/

Last edited by House4Sale; 07-07-2008 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 AM

34 posts, read 120,318 times
Quote:

Palm trees are native to south Florida. Not North Central. They are here, but they are all imports from the south. Gets a little chilly up here sometimes for the palms.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,599 times
Quote:

Palm trees exist in Spring Hill, but from what I've seen, there are more beautiful shade trees in that area. That's one of the characteristics about Spring Hill that my husband and I always liked. Had more of a country feel to it.

Can't answer the St. Pete inquiry. I rarely go down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay