Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
This is a thread from the CT forum which I frequent to get a taste of home until I can sell my house to go back.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...do-see-ct.html

I miss everything that is in this thread and more of CT. As you said CT is one of the most expensive states to live in, but in my opinion has a very high quality of life. I will gladly pay the high taxes again and deal with 3-4 months of winter.
Exactly, and lets not even talk about CT wages vs. Florida wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,242 times
I think anyone can afford to live in Fla. if they want to. There are mobile homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Exactly, and lets not even talk about CT wages vs. Florida wages.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I think anyone can afford to live in Fla. if they want to. There are mobile homes.
That sounds very appealing, why didnt I think of that, thanks Carlos from Canada Trailer park living the only way to truly experience Florida

Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,242 times
I don't think it's that big a deal--one time when I flew back here, I shared a ride home in the airport shuttle with an average middle to upper middle class looking middle aged couple. The driver took them to their address first--it turned out to be in a mobile home park.

And mobile homes can be much nicer than overpriced steam-heated boxes in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That sounds very appealing, why didnt I think of that, thanks Carlos from Canada Trailer park living the only way to truly experience Florida

Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 47,905 times
Default Been there, done that, going back to FL

Hello: First - thank you for all the great info re: living in FL. I moved to FL from Maine in 2000. Stayed for 4 years. I had life all planned, and Florida was where I wanted to stay. Husband had passed away the year before and we vacationed in Florida so I knew I would move there eventually. Well, my plans didn't work out. Shortly after moving to Florida, one of my daughters in Maine called to let me know she was pregnant with first grandchild. I stayed in Florida for two more years, but moved back to Maine to be near grandkids. By the time I got back to Maine - there were 4 grandkids in all. Okay, I've been back to Maine for 4 years now. Two years ago I made a decision to move back to Florida because that's where my heart is. I've been making my plans for that long. I've had to say goodby to a lot of things that are near and dear to my heart. I am partner in a honeybee business in Maine, and the bees are doing FANTASTIC. But, the bees were just one more thing I have to let go of. I have now started to pack for my big move back to Florida (Largo area I hope) next April, 2009. The long and the short of this is that when you move to Florida - if you need to move back to original state - then you move back. I've been in Maine again for 4 years, done what I had to do, and now can't wait to see the flowers, the color of the ocean (not the same color as Maine ocean), the birds, lots of good friends, more colorful clothing, my list goes on and on. Good luck - whatever you decide - will be right for you at the time. By the way, my husband and I had purchased our retirement house on the water in Maine, we had the two boats on the docks, his sportscar was in the driveway - we were all set up for retirement. He was 57 and had over 20 years working for the State of Maine. He had about 4 more years to go until retirement. He died suddenly one day of a heart attack. What I learned is that you have to live for today - take some risks, start with small ones. I'm so excited about going back to Florida for the next part of my life journey. Good Luck Again.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siesta51 View Post
Hello: First - thank you for all the great info re: living in FL. I moved to FL from Maine in 2000. Stayed for 4 years. I had life all planned, and Florida was where I wanted to stay. Husband had passed away the year before and we vacationed in Florida so I knew I would move there eventually. Well, my plans didn't work out. Shortly after moving to Florida, one of my daughters in Maine called to let me know she was pregnant with first grandchild. I stayed in Florida for two more years, but moved back to Maine to be near grandkids. By the time I got back to Maine - there were 4 grandkids in all. Okay, I've been back to Maine for 4 years now. Two years ago I made a decision to move back to Florida because that's where my heart is. I've been making my plans for that long. I've had to say goodby to a lot of things that are near and dear to my heart. I am partner in a honeybee business in Maine, and the bees are doing FANTASTIC. But, the bees were just one more thing I have to let go of. I have now started to pack for my big move back to Florida (Largo area I hope) next April, 2009. The long and the short of this is that when you move to Florida - if you need to move back to original state - then you move back. I've been in Maine again for 4 years, done what I had to do, and now can't wait to see the flowers, the color of the ocean (not the same color as Maine ocean), the birds, lots of good friends, more colorful clothing, my list goes on and on. Good luck - whatever you decide - will be right for you at the time. By the way, my husband and I had purchased our retirement house on the water in Maine, we had the two boats on the docks, his sportscar was in the driveway - we were all set up for retirement. He was 57 and had over 20 years working for the State of Maine. He had about 4 more years to go until retirement. He died suddenly one day of a heart attack. What I learned is that you have to live for today - take some risks, start with small ones. I'm so excited about going back to Florida for the next part of my life journey. Good Luck Again.
Well you will be coming to the perfect state, Florida is for retirees.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 AM

15 posts, read 48,707 times
Hello, thanks for all help with relocation. Sadly as we were about ready to move to Tampa my husbands company was sold during the night in the middle of the week. It was a take over by a major competitor. All transfers were put on hold until everything is finalized. We had just listed our home and packed, no one knew this was coming. We are still holding onto our dream of moving south and will keep checking forums and looking at housing market in Fla. So sorry we didn't do this move sooner. Hopefully housing market will stabilize and job will be secure enough to transfer by the summer of 09. Meanwhile will keep reading this forum and taking notes on different places to relocate when we are ready. Thanks all for input!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,143 times
Thumbs up Better here in Tampa Bay than you think!

Susan,
I agree with the many posts that recommend you don't sell your home in CT just yet. Hopefully, with your husband's company, his job is not only secure but also pays better than the average in Tampa Bay.
I recently returned to Tampa because I love it here and my married daughter (and grandson baby!) live here. But I haven't found a job yet, after 6 weeks. I was laid off in Baton Rouge, LA and my first thought was to return to Tampa. I lived here for 10 years in the 90's and then moved away after 9-1-1 and all the jobs dried up. The economy is starting to improve a little now and will probably improve even more after the election and start of a new year. You should have no problem at all finding a job as a nurse. The VA in St. Pete is always hiring nurses, besides the local hospitals and doctors' offices. Oldsmar would be a great place to live, but not the prettiest. There are great places everywhere here. I particularly like the area around St. Pete pier (North of there) because of its beauty. If your husband's job is in Clearwater, you should check out the places closest to his job--simply because of gasoline prices. Just my opinion. Did you know that Pinellas county is the most populated per square mile than any county in Florida?
When are you moving?
Patricia in Zephyrhills

Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannorth View Post
Hello, thanks for all help with relocation. Sadly as we were about ready to move to Tampa my husbands company was sold during the night in the middle of the week. It was a take over by a major competitor. All transfers were put on hold until everything is finalized. We had just listed our home and packed, no one knew this was coming. We are still holding onto our dream of moving south and will keep checking forums and looking at housing market in Fla. So sorry we didn't do this move sooner. Hopefully housing market will stabilize and job will be secure enough to transfer by the summer of 09. Meanwhile will keep reading this forum and taking notes on different places to relocate when we are ready. Thanks all for input!
Wow! What a shock...the acquisition, I mean. That's what the economy is all about these days: mergers and takeovers. I sincerely hope that all works out for you according to your dreams and desires. Best wishes to you, Susan. And hope to see you in Tampa Bay by summer 2009.
Patricia

Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 48,707 times
Thanks for advice. We are not sure of moving at all, the takeover happened and they tell the employees to hang in there, that no changes for awhile. But who can trust any employer right now. It's like waiting for the other shoe to fall. House here is too big for us now, so I would rather hang onto it and move once to Fla. instead of downsizing here to something else. Everyone is affected and can't complain as long as we both are employed. It was exciting though to be planning the move to Fla. and now it is getting colder every day. Good luck finding a job, hope you don't have to wait too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay