Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM

93 posts, read 258,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
jdvalle - If you want something rural in a BEAUTIFUL setting, and don't mind just a few minutes further commute, check out Dade City in Eastern Pasco County. We lived there for 11 years, first moved out there when hubby worked at USF (about a 35 minute commute). Check out San Antonio, Darby, St. Joe, or in general the areas to the west of town. If you don't mind even further, check out Blanton. The scenery in this part of Florida is gorgeous, there are large rolling hills, lots of lakes and woods, you would think you are in North Carolina. Do check it out and see if it's for you. Now please understand you will be a pretty good drive from "city life." The town itself has some retaurants and big box shopping, but for anything more exotic you will have to drive at least to "cookie cutter" land of Wesley Chapel (about 20 minutes drive).

If this is too far away, then I would recommend Lutz. Personally I can't stand the blandness of Wesley Chapel, not too mention it is really getting congested there.

Just a suggestion.
Excellent. Thanks! I will also keep Lutz in mind. I didn't know that Wesley Chapel was more bland. I had the notion that it was less developed/more semi-rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Check out Land O lakes around Lake Padgett estates. Older homes but HUGH lots, homes are all different, lake and a horse stable.

To me the biggest difference is there are no trees in the newer nabes. S. Tampa has big old shade trees.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 18,802 times
My family was in a similar situation: North vs. South Tampa, the burbs vs. the city - and conducting a housing search on the internet without actually having been there. Although, two weeks ago we took a weekend trip and seeing with our own eyes and expericencing the possible commutes first hand - we decided on houses in South Tampa. We loved the area, proximity to the water, shopping, great outdoors and ease of getting to/from the airport (for work). Come December, South Tampa will be our new home.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM

37 posts, read 104,522 times
I've lived in South Tampa for 30 years. I can tell you it is awesome, its safe, location is fabulous, close to everything, and the prices have come way down. Now is a great time to buy, prices have come way down and you could get a pretty decent house for your money in South Tampa right now.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
Reading this thread with interest as I travel frequently to my company's Tampa facility, and there is a remote possibility that I may need to consider a relo to there. I've been through both the N.Tampa suburb areas and South Tampa areas several times and would agree with the descriptions here. If I moved there, I would love to live in the S.Tampa area, BUT is there a greater risk with hurricanes in that area vs. North Tampa. My colleagues in the Tampa area have told me that if Tampa ever takes a direct hit, it will likely come right over South Tampa because of how it's located and the area will flood, or could be under water (which is less likely in North Tampa). Would this be a significant consideration for choosing one area over the other? I absolutely love the homes in the South Tampa area (Hyde Park/SoHo) and the look and feel of the neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:28 AM

127 posts, read 427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
Reading this thread with interest as I travel frequently to my company's Tampa facility, and there is a remote possibility that I may need to consider a relo to there. I've been through both the N.Tampa suburb areas and South Tampa areas several times and would agree with the descriptions here. If I moved there, I would love to live in the S.Tampa area, BUT is there a greater risk with hurricanes in that area vs. North Tampa. My colleagues in the Tampa area have told me that if Tampa ever takes a direct hit, it will likely come right over South Tampa because of how it's located and the area will flood, or could be under water (which is less likely in North Tampa). Would this be a significant consideration for choosing one area over the other? I absolutely love the homes in the South Tampa area (Hyde Park/SoHo) and the look and feel of the neighborhood.
True, there are areas of South Tampa that are susceptible to flooding - especially on the western edge of the peninsula. But there are also large portions of the South Tampa Peninsula that are in D evacuation zone meaning it would take a Cat 4 storm or greater before any storm surge associated flooding would possibly occur. But keep in mind that there are large portions of Town and Country and Westchase that lie in A evac zones and have a better chance of being underwater during a hurricane - so it's not just South Tampa. And if a Cat 4 or greater storm ever hits the Tampa Bay Region - the entire area will be effected - not just S Tampa.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
We looked in South Tampa over 25 years ago and ultimately decided to live in the Carrollwood area. I did not feel that South Tampa was a safe place to raise our (at the time) 7-year old daughter. Most of the streets where we looked did not have sidewalks and there were few cul-de-sacs. I wanted her to be able to play outside and ride her bike. I'm glad we made the decision to live in the Carrollwood area. We have everything we need except Bayshore Blvd and we can be there in half an hour when desired. Don't misunderstand, I like South Tampa, too... I just wanted to add another perspective in the thread.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
We looked in South Tampa over 25 years ago and ultimately decided to live in the Carrollwood area. I did not feel that South Tampa was a safe place to raise our (at the time) 7-year old daughter. Most of the streets where we looked did not have sidewalks and there were few cul-de-sacs. I wanted her to be able to play outside and ride her bike. I'm glad we made the decision to live in the Carrollwood area. We have everything we need except Bayshore Blvd and we can be there in half an hour when desired. Don't misunderstand, I like South Tampa, too... I just wanted to add another perspective in the thread.
TampaKaren - I agree. While I love South Tampa these days, the OP wanted SEMI-RURAL for his family, and he is not going to get that in the nice part of south Tampa. Carrollwood is a lovely area, and not far from Lutz, which I still think would be a good area to find a house on a big piece of property (which he specified) at a much better price than anywhere in south Tampa. Lake Magdalene is another area I think is beautiful, but don't know what it costs around there these days.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:52 PM

37 posts, read 104,522 times
What about Land O Lakes, that is semi rural isn't it? A few of my coworkers live in Land O Lakes and seem to like it pretty well. They commute to work in the Westshore area in about 30 to 40 minutes most days.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 PM

221 posts, read 724,580 times
You have received lots of great information. We lived in south tampa and loved it. When my daughter was ready to start school though, the kindgarten she was to attend was a D school. So, always research schools before you purchase a home. Greatschools.NET

You should consider Lutz, Land O Lakes and Temple Terrace. Temple Terrace would be the shortest commute...very close to the city but nice homes (some with larger lots). Now is a buyer's market so will have LOTS of options.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-31-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: No soliciting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay