Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM

47 posts, read 197,741 times

Advertisements

I've searched and read but I can't seem to get all my thoughts and questions answered and some threads are old and I know things change....
So, I know you've all heard it before but here goes anyway....

I'm moving to Tampa sometime between June and August. I've been looking at jobs for a bookkeeper/office manager/accounting clerk and have found some pretty promising looking ones but before I start applying I was hoping to get some tips. Also, I'll be moving from New England and I've never lived anywhere else, so I'm hoping you guys and gals will have some tips for a newbie to Tampa.
Here are few things I was hoping you can all help me with:

* I hear June - August is probably the worst time of year to be moving to Tampa because of the heat and thunderstorms... I'll be driving my black car all the way down... How bad are the storms? When does the weather get really bad? When does the weather start getting better and more mild? What is your favorite time of year in Tampa?

* What is the best way to go about getting my resume and application for a job noticed even though I am from out-of-state? I'm willing to do phone interviews or webcam interviews. I'm looking for a job with a relatively small company that needs someone to take charge of their office and accounting. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring? Any ideas would be helpful. I work at a powersports dealership now so I'll be sending my resume to those types of places first since I'm very comfortable and experienced in that field. Also once I tell my job about the move (I'll wait until a month before I leave so they have plenty of notice and time to find a replacement) I know they will give me a great recommendation.

*I have a feeling the homesickness will kick in at some point... any suggestions of things to check out that will keep my mind busy and interested in Tampa? I'm really excited to live near the ocean and experience a small city atmosphere. I'm very into photography so I'm sure if I just go exploring I'll find loads of things to take pictures of.

*We will most likely be living in Sabal Palms at Boot Ranch in Palm Harbor... Do you guys have any thoughts on that complex?? Suggest any places that you like better? Cool stuff to check out in the area? Can I walk to anything right from the complex? Is it safe enough for me to walk?

*I know that many people in Tampa aren't necessarily from Tampa. Anything I should know as a newcomer about things I shouldn't say or do? I'm very open minded and not necessarily sheltered so I'm not naive to normal social behavior... but from reading some threads on here I get a bit weary. I am really courteous to strangers (ie. hold the door, say thank you for those that hold the door to me, let people out in traffic, etc.) and I'm just wondering if people are going to look at me funny if I do those things. Also, I've heard that many people don't tip in Tampa and I always tip at Starbucks or take-out places, not a lot but at the very least a dollar, is that unnecessary?

*And last, my boyfriend and I would like any suggestions for fun, inexpensive things to do for couples. Cool restaurants, fun community events, hidden local treasures, best places to watch a sunset. Really I'm down for anything from walking through a farmers market to sky diving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Love it here from October thru May...dry cool nights, sunny blue sky days, occasional cold fronts provide rain that never lasts more than a day. Summers are GREAT for swimming in the Ocean/Pool, and walking around half naked all the time

Either get a PO Box here with a local address, unless you know someone's address you can use. You can also advise that you will be moving here in the summer, and maybe make a trip here to do lots of interviews.

Moving to a new city, you will find yourself exploring all the time, but only if thats what you choose to do(ive been here 21 years, and still exploring). Check out weekly mags like Creativeloafing.com, tbt.com; and city of tampa sites like tampagov.net; visittampabay.com; and the local news like tbo.com.

Im not familiar with Sable Palms at Boot Ranch, but Palm Harbour is in Pinellas County, about 30-35 minutes fm downtown Tampa, 25 minutes form downtown St. Pete, and 15 minutes to Clearwater Beach areas.

You will find all kinds, lots are transplants like you from all over the country and even world, so just be who you are. Tip as though you would tip anywhere else in this country.

There is so much to list here as far as things to do...a few of my favs are: Beach Sunsets at Pass-a-Grille, Caladesi Island, Fort DeSoto North Beach; Dining and Entertainment in Ybor City places like Laughing Cat, Columbia, Acropolis, L'Oliver; in Hyde Park like Mangrove's, Bern's, Side Bern's, Restaurant BT; Biking/Blading/Walking/Running along Pinellas Trail, Bayshore Blvd, Wilderness Parks System; Touristy things like all the museums in Downtown St. Pete, and in Tampa the Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, History Center, Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, Tampa Theater...take a peak at the sites I listed, and pick something you'd like to do....there are farmers markets each weekend throughout the bay, festivals a plenty...

I hope tihs helps

Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM

That was very helpful. Thank you!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
As far as the storms, they are the late afternoon variety, a few hours of downpur rain, and some thunder and lighting, typically from late June thru late September, almost daily. Sun in the morning, clouds start to build up in the afternoon, downpour right around rush hour, and then sunny skies again. If you want to picutre the summers here, take your summer heat wave in new england, and add 3 months of that...there you go..daytime highs in the 90's, nighttime lows in the 70's...lots of humidity...some hate it, i dont mind it, it is Florida, and we are in a Semi Tropical environment, so it is what it is....but Octoner thru May..paradise, for me at least.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Quote:
* I hear June - August is probably the worst time of year to be moving to Tampa because of the heat and thunderstorms... I'll be driving my black car all the way down... How bad are the storms? When does the weather get really bad? When does the weather start getting better and more mild? What is your favorite time of year in Tampa?
How bad are the storms? Extremely violent, not to be underestimated. Buy a good UPS for your computer and don't golf in the afternoon in summer. This is the lightning capital of the country, and those storms often spawn small tornados or microbursts. I grew up with them though and actually look forward to the afternoon thundershowers - it cools everything down. The summer would really be intolerable without them, imo. I enjoy the entire cool season from October to May - May in particular is just beautiful. Mild temps, moderate humidity, gorgeous blue skies. I am also fond of wearing shorts on Christmas day.
Quote:
*I have a feeling the homesickness will kick in at some point... any suggestions of things to check out that will keep my mind busy and interested in Tampa?
I have noted a pattern over the years, that fresh transplants seem to get homesick in the fall. Fall in Florida is probably my least favorite time of year. It's just as hot as summer but the afternoon showers no longer form. Transplants start to miss the cool breezes and changing leaves and whatnot. So my advice to transplants is to plan your vacations for that time of year - go north for a couple weeks, get it out of your system.
Quote:
Also, I've heard that many people don't tip in Tampa and I always tip at Starbucks or take-out places, not a lot but at the very least a dollar, is that unnecessary?
At Starbucks I usually don't tip because there is no spot for it on the CC slip. To me that signals they are being paid a decent hourly wage and are not living on tips the way wait staff does. I always tip wait staff and delivery drivers generously unless the service was just astoundingly horrible - then I still tip, but more miserly. As for tipping for take-out, if I ate in the restaurant and then put in a to-go order to take home to my husband, I tip as though the server waited on both of us. If it's a place that does take-out as it's primary business then I've ordered it to be delivered and my delivery tip guidelines take effect. The only other take-out we get is from fast food joints, I don't tip there.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Thanks tilli, I too look forward to the thunderstorms! I love them but because we live in the mountains I rarely get to see anything impressive. I will make sure to watch them from inside!!
I am actually planning a short trip for the beginning of May so that forecast sounds awesome!! I was there this past October and loved the weather. I like your suggestion about visiting home in the fall. I bet that would help with the home sickness.
I am a generous tipper when out at restaurants and any service otherwise so I'll keep that up.
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
I've searched and read but I can't seem to get all my thoughts and questions answered and some threads are old and I know things change....
So, I know you've all heard it before but here goes anyway....

I'm moving to Tampa sometime between June and August. I've been looking at jobs for a bookkeeper/office manager/accounting clerk and have found some pretty promising looking ones but before I start applying I was hoping to get some tips. Also, I'll be moving from New England and I've never lived anywhere else, so I'm hoping you guys and gals will have some tips for a newbie to Tampa.
Here are few things I was hoping you can all help me with:

* I hear June - August is probably the worst time of year to be moving to Tampa because of the heat and thunderstorms... I'll be driving my black car all the way down... How bad are the storms? When does the weather get really bad? When does the weather start getting better and more mild? What is your favorite time of year in Tampa? The weather does get bad here. The heat gets VERY hot here, especially due to the humidity. When it rains, it pours-I am a Florida native (born and raised) and sometimes it rains so hard that I almost have to pull over because I cannot see a thing! Plus hurricane season isn't great, but so far Tampa hasn't seen a hurricane (other than a cat. 1 that cut across the state a few years ago) in many many moons. My favorite time of year now is December, the weather starts cooling down, but not too much.

* What is the best way to go about getting my resume and application for a job noticed even though I am from out-of-state? I'm willing to do phone interviews or webcam interviews. I'm looking for a job with a relatively small company that needs someone to take charge of their office and accounting. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring? Any ideas would be helpful. I work at a powersports dealership now so I'll be sending my resume to those types of places first since I'm very comfortable and experienced in that field. Also once I tell my job about the move (I'll wait until a month before I leave so they have plenty of notice and time to find a replacement) I know they will give me a great recommendation. That's tough because most employers would rather hire locals. Your chances would be better if you could make it down here for an interview. You might want to fax and email your resume to places.

*I have a feeling the homesickness will kick in at some point... any suggestions of things to check out that will keep my mind busy and interested in Tampa? I'm really excited to live near the ocean and experience a small city atmosphere. I'm very into photography so I'm sure if I just go exploring I'll find loads of things to take pictures of.

*We will most likely be living in Sabal Palms at Boot Ranch in Palm Harbor... Do you guys have any thoughts on that complex?? Suggest any places that you like better? Cool stuff to check out in the area? Can I walk to anything right from the complex? Is it safe enough for me to walk?

*I know that many people in Tampa aren't necessarily from Tampa. Anything I should know as a newcomer about things I shouldn't say or do? I'm very open minded and not necessarily sheltered so I'm not naive to normal social behavior... but from reading some threads on here I get a bit weary. I am really courteous to strangers (ie. hold the door, say thank you for those that hold the door to me, let people out in traffic, etc.) and I'm just wondering if people are going to look at me funny if I do those things. Also, I've heard that many people don't tip in Tampa and I always tip at Starbucks or take-out places, not a lot but at the very least a dollar, is that unnecessary? I don't think that it really matters. I am very open minded, yet straight to the point. I am courteous, but stern. No one seems to have had an issue with me and in my profession, I meet people from all over.

*And last, my boyfriend and I would like any suggestions for fun, inexpensive things to do for couples. Cool restaurants, fun community events, hidden local treasures, best places to watch a sunset. Really I'm down for anything from walking through a farmers market to sky diving...
Me personally I like Siesta Key beach. Going there for the day is fun.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Quote:
Thanks tilli, I too look forward to the thunderstorms! I love them but because we live in the mountains I rarely get to see anything impressive. I will make sure to watch them from inside!!
Now, I can't actually recommend it because it is dangerous, but I have been known to purposely stand in the pouring rain if I am already soaked anyway. It really feels incredible, and when you do go back into the AC you get a little chill which I find delicious on a hot summer's evening. Try not to be the tallest, most conductive thing around.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
During rush hour Palm Harbor will be a longer drive than 35 minutes depending on where you work in Tampa and if you leave around 5pm. More like 45 to an hour if you work downtown or near the stadium. Of course, it depends on where you find a job.

Thunderstorms can be a pain especially during rush hour and at times very heavy. Of course, it can pour in one area and not a drop in another. I like sitting on the patio (no metal around) and feeling the temp drop during the rain.

I think TPAG3 is right, if you get homesick it will probably be during the fall because it is still hot in Tampa and no leaves changing color. But it is greener during the winter so you take the good with the bad.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

I've never really dealt with daily traffic.... I've made long commutes before but I was moving for the entire 30 - 45 minutes. I think that will take some time to get used to but I'll have lots of gorgeous ocean to look at while I wait.

Thanks for all the feedback so far... It's much appreciated, so keep them coming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay