Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM

84 posts, read 226,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
"""Tampa was actually named one of the worst dressed cities in america" that I can believe. Give me Miami anytime. Vanity is a attitude,,, doesnt matter if they dressed or not. Tampa has its attributes, natural is in- clean beaches, clean air, and good fishing spots. Tampa's thinking-- small town, is only complaint I have.

What do you mean by "tampa's thinking" care to elaborate? Yeah its a tiny town, its not for people who are used to big cities :/ The one thing I like about tampa is that most people aren't out to "get" other people like in miami or LA there are scammers and thieves everywhere but in tampa the people are mostly small town honest people (remember that popular childrens story about the country mouse and city mouse...tampa is the country mouse)..the kind that visit cities like miami once and go screaming back to tampa terrified and swearing up and down that they will never visit there again LOL its really funny if you read some of the "horror stories" on here from tampanians who went to visit south florida. I personally adore southeast florida but I'll admit Im biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The methodology doesnt mention using other cities resources to bolster Tampa's standing, if we are going to use St Pete's Beaches as part of Tampa where do we draw the line? Could Sarasota beaches be included in Tampa's make up? how about Tarpon Springs Sponge docks, Webster flea market, Disneyland/Sea World, SpringHill. I think theres a difference between rating a city and rating the general area in which a city is located.
I think you misread what it said, beach culture does not mean there is a beach in the middle of the city. It also mention in the article,

" Behind the Numbers
In October, Pew--a non-partisan research group, funded by the nonprofit Pew Charitable Trusts, that tracks social and demographic trends--conducted a nationwide telephone survey of 2,260 adults.

Researchers listed 30 of the country's largest metropolitan statistical areas and asked "Would you want to live in this city or its surrounding metropolitan area or not want to live there?" Those surveyed reflect U.S. population in proportion in terms of age, sex and race, and many of the surveys were conducted on cell phones, not land lines, which means a larger swatch of respondents was reached.

While answers varied, one thing was certain: geographical location and weather play a major role in where we want to settle down. The five top-ranked places were in either the West or South, while the five cities at the bottom of the list are all in the Midwest.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
"""Tampa was actually named one of the worst dressed cities in america" that I can believe. Give me Miami anytime. Vanity is a attitude,,, doesnt matter if they dressed or not. Tampa has its attributes, natural is in- clean beaches, clean air, and good fishing spots. Tampa's thinking-- small town, is only complaint I have.
Generally they do not have the RNC and Superbowl in small towns. The leaders of small towns with small town thinking do not attempt to get these events to their town.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I think you misread what it said, beach culture does not mean there is a beach in the middle of the city. It also mention in the article,

" Behind the Numbers
In October, Pew--a non-partisan research group, funded by the nonprofit Pew Charitable Trusts, that tracks social and demographic trends--conducted a nationwide telephone survey of 2,260 adults.

Researchers listed 30 of the country's largest metropolitan statistical areas and asked "Would you want to live in this city or its surrounding metropolitan area or not want to live there?" Those surveyed reflect U.S. population in proportion in terms of age, sex and race, and many of the surveys were conducted on cell phones, not land lines, which means a larger swatch of respondents was reached.

While answers varied, one thing was certain: geographical location and weather play a major role in where we want to settle down. The five top-ranked places were in either the West or South, while the five cities at the bottom of the list are all in the Midwest.
Kind of a delema as St Pete could claim Tampa as part of its Metropolitan statistical area and also be ranked at least as high as Tampa.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Tampa is nowhere near a popular city in the US. I love it, it's where I was born, I'd love to see it reach it's potential... But with our unemployment rate, our lack of vision, and the fact that we really haven't gone anywhere since the 90's leads me to say it is nowhere near a top ten popular city. Especially when there's Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, DC, New York, LA, Chicago, Austin, Dallas, San Diego, etc as competition. You can't tell me we beat them out.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Tampa is nowhere near a popular city in the US. I love it, it's where I was born, I'd love to see it reach it's potential... But with our unemployment rate, our lack of vision, and the fact that we really haven't gone anywhere since the 90's leads me to say it is nowhere near a top ten popular city. Especially when there's Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, DC, New York, LA, Chicago, Austin, Dallas, San Diego, etc as competition. You can't tell me we beat them out.
Its all in the methodology/criteria used to come to the end conclusion,in this case Tampa came in Number 5, with differing methodology/terminology/criteria you could basically place any city in any position you want,, For any one interested in the other cities..
http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/12/out...ate_chart.html

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Unlike some of the other cities mentioned, Tampa isn't all full of itself, there is a certain realism about what it is and what it has to offer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Tampa is a humble city with great people, unlike the posers who live in South Florida and also in a couple of the counties to the south of Hillsborough (ahem).

Another advantage to the Tampa/Hillsborough County area is definitely cost of living. You can still maintain a halfway decent middle class lifestyle here on less money than Miami or Orlando, for example. In fact it's probably one of the few places left in the US where you can still do this, IMO.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Its all in the methodology/criteria used to come to the end conclusion,in this case Tampa came in Number 5, with differing methodology/terminology/criteria you could basically place any city in any position you want,, For any one interested in the other cities..
America's Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com
This is clear. As I mentioned in another board, real research should look something like this:

"Tampa ranks 5th most popular city in America for white males between the ages of 30-50 who enjoy golfing" or something similar to that. This survey is way too broad, and I doubt it's using real research anyway.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
America's Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com
Your inability to comprehend the methodology is not a reason to invalidate the survey

Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM

84 posts, read 226,815 times
Default <3 florida

Quote:

it can be seen as both a positive and negative
Positives= people arent superficial they dont care if you wear flip flops, shorts and a walmart shirt to the mall, actually I think most people in tampa are uncomfortable around people who are dressed up to the nines and look like they shop regularly at bal harbour and rodeo drive
Negatives=no one has heard of brands like ferragamo, varvatos, miu miu or yigal azrouel. Also the way most people dress in tampa is seen as "underwhelming" to people who visit unlike places like south florida, LA, SD, NYC where the way people dress is seen as fashion forward and very trendy/trendsetter but ehhh oh well to each their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay