Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

102 posts, read 423,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I like Miami n Orlando in apperance, it looks new, clean fresh, not all areas -but many, Tampa not too much into beautification or something. ?
I've lived in Tampa AND Miami. Outside of the Miami "touristy" areas, Tampa is cleaner and more beautiful, hands down. Orlando is newer than both, so that may explain the "clean" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I'm so happy to see this post!
I have been debating moving to the Tampa area from South Florida (for many many reasons).
Had always heard the people in the Tampa area were so much more down to earth than this area (I'm originally from the midwest and have been in South Florida since '95).
But I've received replies from others who strongly urged me to write Tampa area off my list.
Part of their reasoning was that they said the area's for the super rich or super poor.. no "in betweens" like myself.. I get that that's pretty much the norm where ever you go now.. but what do you Tampa lovers think? I would love your input on that.
Happy Friday!
Like I said above, I've lived in both cities for extensive periods of time and have friends in both. The Tampa detractors sound like they're talking about Miami, not Tampa. In Miami, I've seen some of the richest and poorest living just a few blocks from each other. Ferraris at stoplights with beggars asking for change happens every day in Miami.
While it is conceivable that this happens in Tampa, too, it is not as blatant. My impression of Tampa is that it has a lot of "in betweens", as you say.
In short, check out Tampa for yourself. Give it time.
For my money, Tampa is the best place to live in the state. Excellent culture, excellent people. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,802,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I'm so happy to see this post!
I have been debating moving to the Tampa area from South Florida (for many many reasons).
Had always heard the people in the Tampa area were so much more down to earth than this area (I'm originally from the midwest and have been in South Florida since '95).
But I've received replies from others who strongly urged me to write Tampa area off my list.
Part of their reasoning was that they said the area's for the super rich or super poor.. no "in betweens" like myself.. I get that that's pretty much the norm where ever you go now.. but what do you Tampa lovers think? I would love your input on that.
Happy Friday!
I am a Tampa-lover, so I guess I'm qualified to respond!

I have very good friends who moved to the area from the Miami area several years ago. They are "in-betweeners" and LOVE it here! They have told me numerous times how much better Tampa is than South Florida. I have visited South Florida numerous times and was surprised at how wealthy many of the areas are. Ft. Lauderdale, for example … wow … there were yachts there that were bigger than my house! You won't find that sort of thing as much in Tampa.

Tampa is filled with all kinds of people … rich, in-betweeners, poor … I feel like each group is pretty fairly represented here.

I personally find most people in the Tampa area to be very down to earth. There are pockets that are trashy and pockets that are filled with ultra-elite snobs … but that is certainly not the norm. In general, people will be friendly to you if you are friendly to them. I've never had any trouble meeting and making friends here.

Your best bet is to come visit. Spend a week or two getting to know the area … check out St. Pete, Clearwater, Tampa, and the other places that make up the Tampa Bay area and see what you think.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM

605 posts, read 1,055,243 times
Tampa's pretty diverse in terms of income, like the two previous posters said. It may not be as clean as Orlando or Sarasota, but it is miles ahead of 90% of US cities in this respect. We moved from Tampa to New Orleans, and it's like another planet in that respect. I love New Orleans for many reasons, but that is not one of them.

As for how the people are - you will find all kinds there too. We made many, many good friends there and I always look forward to my return visits!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:35 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,342,103 times
Do the people polled in that ranking actually live in Tampa? When my family comes to visit me they won't stop talking about how much they LOVE this city. I take them to the waterfront restaurants, Ybor City, the trendy and well decorated establishments in Hyde Park, Bayshore, etc. I took some family to the aquarium two weeks ago and then to Channelside and then to Busch Gardens and they just can't get enough of it. I have more reservations about the city, but I live here so I interpret it differently.

Still, I remember moving here for college when I was 18 and I fell in love with the place too. I fell in love with the city all over again when I moved to the SoHo District when I was 20. Now, at the cusp of 25 and being chronically unemployed for so long despite having a college degree, there are definitely things about the city that I don't like.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
It's is just like a different pair of shoes. Miami it's stillouettes with rhinstones and Tampa is very comfortable flip flops... Jacksonville it is cool sneakers, but never lived in Orlando...so do not know.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Key West doesn't have nice beaches either but you are right about the rest.

Silly list. Denver is #1.

No..I think they got it right...

Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,935,027 times
Quote:
It's is just like a different pair of shoes. Miami it's stillouettes with rhinstones and Tampa is very comfortable flip flops... Jacksonville it is cool sneakers, but never lived in Orlando...so do not know.

Miami and Tampa are sandals, although Miami throws on fake jewels on 'em; Jacksonville is work boots, with a lil bit of mud on 'em.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
yeppers!! but depends time of day for those highhhhh heels in Miami. all my bling just sits in the closet here, feel out of place using my fake diamond flip flops in TampaBay---LOL.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,129,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Miami and Tampa are sandals, although Miami throws on fake jewels on 'em; Jacksonville is work boots, with a lil bit of mud on 'em.

Spot on.... love it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Love this quote!
Not too long ago one of "those" articles named Tampa as the Vainest city in the country.
Thoughts?
One thing I am DYING to get away from is the "Boca-hontus" attitude that seems to be epidemic in South Florida.
I get there will be people keeping plastic surgeons in business no matter where you go, but it can't be as bad in Tampa as it is down here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay