Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 76,796 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my wife and I just moved to Minneapolis for my job. However it has been a huge struggle for her to find a job. Im sure Central Florida is going through the same thing. But we do have family support down there so it will be a little easier for us.
She does administrative/ Office managerial work, has a great resume w/ outstanding references. I am a gymnastics coach...there are a lot of gyms down there, and I also have a backup plan of working for Department of Corrections or any Sheriffs Office's as I am Florida Law Enforcement and Corrections certified. Its more money definately, but i love coaching a lot more than dealing with inmates.
We dont have jobs yet, she is starting to apply to some places, i may stay here in Minnesota till she finds a job, that way we have at least one source of income.
We are looking in the Tampa area.
Anyone have advice? are we nuts? is it really that bad down there? Is the economy worse in Orlando or Tampa? Thanks to anyone who responds...hopefully someone out there has some postive responses to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
One of my friends husband is a corrections officer. He applied to as many places as possible. There was NOTHING until he applied in Bradenton. He commutes over an hour each way and has long shifts. Just apply to all areas. Hopefully something will be aviable.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 27,383 times
Default Don't do it...stay away from tampa bay!!!

I know it you may think its a great place to live...But let me tell its definitely not. My husband and I relocated here from Missouri almost 2 yrs ago we currently live in Tampa, not too far from USF. It really sucks out here. The crime rate is terrible and the traffic is worst. Everyday you can't go to work without seeing a accident a few blocks down the street or even on the highway. The public schools are crap....the graduation rate is very low. Cause most kids end up knocked up or on drugs. We're contemplating our next move now. The economy in Tampa is terrible, almost every home you past in my neighborhood has an for sale sign in their yard. A lot of people are getting taken for their money, because homeowners are renting out foreclosed properties( SO WATCH OUT) I just got fired from my job as an legal assistant. So, I have to hurry and find a job before our bills are due again. More than likely we'll move to Atlanta, GA. the economy is booming there and job growth is amazing. So, this is our last year in tampa. Good luck hope this helped!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
One of my friends husband is a corrections officer. He applied to as many places as possible. There was NOTHING until he applied in Bradenton. He commutes over an hour each way and has long shifts. Just apply to all areas. Hopefully something will be aviable.

wow im suprised. Hillsborough county is hiring a lot of people right now in corrections. so is pasco county

Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHANE27 View Post
I know it you may think its a great place to live...But let me tell its definitely not. My husband and I relocated here from Missouri almost 2 yrs ago we currently live in Tampa, not too far from USF. It really sucks out here. The crime rate is terrible and the traffic is worst. Everyday you can't go to work without seeing a accident a few blocks down the street or even on the highway. The public schools are crap....the graduation rate is very low. Cause most kids end up knocked up or on drugs. We're contemplating our next move now. The economy in Tampa is terrible, almost every home you past in my neighborhood has an for sale sign in their yard. A lot of people are getting taken for their money, because homeowners are renting out foreclosed properties( SO WATCH OUT) I just got fired from my job as an legal assistant. So, I have to hurry and find a job before our bills are due again. More than likely we'll move to Atlanta, GA. the economy is booming there and job growth is amazing. So, this is our last year in tampa. Good luck hope this helped!
I won't dwell too much on your generalities but is it really over 50% of the kids are knocked up or on drugs?
That statement is just as close to the truth as your " Atlanta, GA. the economy is booming there and job growth is amazing." statement.

Here is your amazing Job Growth.

Employment Data*

Job Growth 2008: -0.31%
Projected Job Growth 2009: -3.05%
Unemployment Rate: 7.00%

Tampa isn't doing great right now but most of the country is experiencing the same problems. You are delusional if you think Atlanta is booming.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Lets me guess, you live in suit case city? No wonder. Ive lived in Tampa my whole life and never experienced what you have. Its possible that your life just sucks right now so you blame your environment. Think about it

Old 03-29-2009, 08:39 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Lets me guess, you live in suit case city? No wonder. Ive lived in Tampa my whole life and never experienced what you have. Its possible that your life just sucks right now so you blame your environment. Think about it
I have noticed a pattern with posters who live in or near suitcase city hate Tampa and have super-negative things to say about it, based on their environment. I am guessing those people never get out of their neighborhood, which really is one of the worst in Tampa

Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM

12 posts, read 69,982 times
Quote:

You must be kidding yourself, the economy in Atlanta is horrible. Unemployment is in double digits and grows each week. Do not mean to offend just wanted to give you in depth information. I got laid off from Orlando in November and moved back to Atlanta and I have yet to find work.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 AM

oh gees. you guys are scaring the hell out of me. well lets hope my wife finds a job in tampa. I think tampa is ok from the times i've been there. what are the best neighborhoods/suburbs?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthepowerhouse View Post
oh gees. you guys are scaring the hell out of me. well lets hope my wife finds a job in tampa. I think tampa is ok from the times i've been there. what are the best neighborhoods/suburbs?
The entire South East is a BAD place to relocate to right now.

The closest place you can find with jobs is Texas.

Best places to live in Tampa is anywhere that's not around USF.

I would suggest Brandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay