Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Hi Liza54, I am a Miami native but I've visited the Tampa Bay area many times with my girlfriend, who is a Tampa Bay native. We are both very liberal/progressive. In my opinion St. Pete would be a better choice than Tampa. That is, if you can find a job in St. Pete or somewhere within Pinellas county. Commuting from St. Pete to Tampa can be a real headache. St. Pete has a lot of potential and character. The downtown area is quite walkable, if a bit dicey in places. There are numerous restaurants (including Ceviches/Pincho y Pincho, which serves wickedly delicious tapas and seafood dishes), bars/pubs, delis, etc. The Salvador Dali museum is a must visit for even the casual art buff. The downtown farmer's market has live music, fresh produce, and prepared foods. You can catch a baseball game at Tropicana Field. Kenwood and the Old Northeast are great, funky, eclectic neighborhoods with old restored houses situated in well manicured, xeriscaped lots with lots of tree coverage (which is important when summer rolls around........yikes!). The beaches in Pinellas county are superb! Madeira beach, Indian Rocks beach, Fort De Soto, Caladesi, St. Pete Beach, Clearwater beach, Passe-a-Grille beach, etc., are all very nice. Some of the areas northwest of St. Petersburg are quaint and unique as well. Dunedin has a micro brewery/brewpub and a small, walkable, retro downtown area. Tarpon Springs is a Greek enclave with great restaurants, bakeries, and bric a brac shops. The kitsch factor is substantial due, in part, to Sponge O Rama, a museum that highlights the "glory days" of Tarpon Springs' sponge diving industry in the 50's.
Great advice, I agree. If we didn't live in and love Sarasota so much, we would be living somewhere in the St. Pete area - very similar to where we are, just bigger. St. Pete to Sarasota is the best in FL for what I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
Thanks matchpoint and gypsychic! I tend to agree with you both, but it is nice to hear the opinions of others to reinforce that.
I truly do believe St. Pete Beach is one of Florida's less-known jewels. I like the location (close to Tampa) yet it's a beach community. There is a heck of a good pizza joint in St. Pete Beach (the name, of course, escapes me). It basically has the right combo of beach living, practical living, plus fun stuff. The 'touristy' or 'Don Cesar' vibe doesn't bother me at all. Good luck to you!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
There is a heck of a good pizza joint in St. Pete Beach (the name, of course, escapes me).
Monster Pizza?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 PM

96 posts, read 736,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
I truly do believe St. Pete Beach is one of Florida's less-known jewels.
So do I. And I can't wait to get my feet on the ground there for another, more intensive tour. I want to spend my next visit looking at real estate and trying to get a feel for what it is like to actually live there. It is sometimes hard to make good judgments in that regard when a person is in "vacation mode." Hence the reason why I intend to come during the middle of the week, shop in local grocery stores, make drives over to Tampa and other areas during rush hour, etc.

I'm hoping to be able to setup an appointment to view some condos while I am there. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, The Starlight Towers was one that I really liked. I am doing searches now to try to locate any other condos that were built in the 1950s or 1960s that have that special charm that I am looking for and most importantly, that have units that are available.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Monster Pizza?
It's either Carino's or Vito&Michael's. There's a nudy bar once the main road veers away from the beach. The place I'm thinking of is located fairly close this "establishment" BUT don't let that spook you. I think it's Vito&Michael's because Carino's has a piano bar (according to the brief reviews I read online) and I don't recall seeing that before.

They have dinner entres but the pizza is magico! Thincrust...oven baked..I think they do a lot of takeout because the dining area is smallish.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM

184 posts, read 447,840 times
Have any of the previous posters made the move to the area? If so what are your thoughts on it so far? I'm also researching the area along with a few others as a possible spot for relocation and am looking for many of the same qualities mentioned in this thread. How would you locals say the Tampa area compares to Sarasota considering the criteria discussed so far? Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM

239 posts, read 671,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Hey, no problem! I'm just happy you answered! The 'feel' of a place just can't be felt on Craigslist or an MLS. I lived in SoCal and want to surround myself and my kids with that type of person- open minded, tolerant, valuing nature, etc. Just feels better for us. Will start looking in those areas right away!

Hi Liza,

I was wondering if you made the move yet and what you thought. You took the words right out of my mouth. We, too, are a family looking for that vibe in the greater Tampa area. Sarasota has been recommended as very progressive and "green-minded". I saw on your thread that St. Pete is up there as well. Do you have further insight at this point?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM

451 posts, read 933,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Hi Liza,

I was wondering if you made the move yet and what you thought. You took the words right out of my mouth. We, too, are a family looking for that vibe in the greater Tampa area. Sarasota has been recommended as very progressive and "green-minded". I saw on your thread that St. Pete is up there as well. Do you have further insight at this point?
While I can't provide the answer you want from Liza, I can underline and boldface the mention of Seminole Heights in Tampa. The description via Wikipedia is actually pretty spot on:

Seminole Heights, Tampa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're looking in St. Pete, check out Northeast St. Pete or Kenwood.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,326 times
I would say what one of the first posters was saying. It seems St Pete is more liberal than Tampa however, Tampa seems to have slightly more jobs. That seems spot on.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM

239 posts, read 671,229 times
Thank you Thinktank! I loved the wikipedia description. What would you say is the major difference between Seminole and Kenwood?

I love the BOHO index but do you think it is also good for professional families with young kids who are green-minded. We aren't exactly hippies LOL

Sign me up for the porch party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay